51 replies to this topic

#1 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Okay, clearly a good portion of us are SW geeks/fans...in fact I know of one forumer taking his kid out of school to go see the dang thang.

So, with that out in the open, let us indulge in our geekdom and discuss our hopes/fears about the new SW movie...which by many accounts is one of the best, or according to USA Today, the best film in the sextology(?).

I watched EP II over the weekend. I hadn't watched it in well over a year and I have to say it was not nearly as bad as I had believed. While the acting was still wooden, it was not as insufferable as I last found it.

I'm looking forward very much to this new movie.

Your thoughts...

PG-13, eh?
user posted image

#2 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:19 AM

i hear that Lucas threw in quite a number of subtle jabs at the Bush Admin. That alone should make the film worth my $9.00! specool.gif

#3 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

Well, instead of letting Yab Yum ruin this thread immediately, here's this pic for you to enjoy:
user posted image

#4 spork

spork

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

I'm hoping for better dialogue and acting. It really detracts from the SW experience when the acting seems forced. Solution: more lines for Chewbacca and less for Anakin (Hayden Christensen).

#5 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

Unfortunately for me, Episode One lost my interest in the rest of the series. Jar Jar was the dumbest addition of characters. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse then Jim Hensons Ewoks, Jar Jar!! IMO Lucas went Disney.....

I'll either wait for the torrent or rent it.
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#6 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ May 16 2005, 08:15 AM)
Okay, clearly a good portion of us are SW geeks/fans...in fact I know of one forumer taking his kid out of school to go see the dang thang.

So, with that out in the open, let us indulge in our geekdom and discuss our hopes/fears about the new SW movie...which by many accounts is one of the best, or according to USA Today, the best film in the sextology(?).

I watched EP II over the weekend. I hadn't watched it in well over a year and I have to say it was not nearly as bad as I had believed. While the acting was still wooden, it was not as insufferable as I last found it.

I'm looking forward very much to this new movie.

Your thoughts...

PG-13, eh?
user posted image

View Post

I watched Episode I again yesterday (in case anyone did not know, Channel 40 has been plyaing them in order of release every Sunday at 4:00pm), and Jar Jar is still annoying. My three year old daughter found him pretty funny, so I guess George did hit his target audience with him.

Oh, and more Natalie Portman, please.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#7 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(tgianco @ May 16 2005, 09:34 AM)
I watched Episode I again yesterday (in case anyone did not know, Channel 40 has been plyaing them in order of release every Sunday at 4:00pm), and Jar Jar is still annoying. My three year old daughter found him pretty funny, so I guess George did hit his target audience with him.

Oh, and more Natalie Portman, please.

View Post

My hopes aren't that high, which is another way of saying that my expectation level has been beaten down to a reasonable level by episodes one and two.

Going into the pre-trilogy I was thinking "why should I care? I know how it ends"

spoiler alert! Don't read any further if you don'ty want to know the secret surprise ending!

Spoiler: Anakin turns into Darth Vader (shhhh). He betrays, hunts down, and kills the Jedi knights and, oh, and he somehow becomes injured in the process

See what I mean? Big deal. We know how it ends. Why and how Anakin turns into Darth Vader is, I dunno, a curiosity I guess, but not really a story it should take three movies to tell. Maybe this one will be good enough to stand with episodes 4 through 6. I'll go see it of course. My geek midi-chlorians or whatever compel me to. I may even dress up for the occasion

user posted image
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#8 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

From the NY Times:

"This is by far the best film in the more recent trilogy, and also the best of the four episodes Mr. Lucas has directed. That's right: it's better than "Star Wars."

and

"Mr. Lucas's indifference to two fairly important aspects of moviemaking - acting and writing - is remarkable" rofl.gif

#9 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:11 AM

You could say "I had a bad feeling" about episodes 1 and 2. Hopefully this one is better.

To get you in the mood, here is a brief clip from the Star Wars Holiday Special:

http://forbes.com/bu...sflopslide.html

#10 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:14 AM

Have you seen A Lost Hope?

http://www.ifilm.com...mdetail/2663936

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#11 Adamal

Adamal

Web Geek

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

I'll be there at the 12:01am thurday showing in Roseville. Acording to all the reviews this one is the best thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#12 Ahnold

Ahnold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

There were a series of stories recently on MSN.com on this very topic, and some of the 'hopes' of fans were right in line with mine:

- will be nice to see some back-story on Wookiees and Chewie in particular
- interesting to see why C3PO and R2D2, both of whom were owned by Anakin Skywalker, later claim to have no knowledge of him. Memory wipe perhaps?
- a quick and gruesome death for JarJar! (probably won't happen unfortunately)
- the aforementioned darker tone, ala Empire Strikes Back.

As much as I disliked the previous two movies, Lucas has this one last chance to set things right with the older fans while still bringing his newest trilogy to a rousing conclusion.

#13 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(Ahnold @ May 16 2005, 01:24 PM)
As much as I disliked the previous two movies, Lucas has this one last chance to set things right with the older fans while still bringing his newest trilogy to a rousing conclusion.

View Post

Yeah - that's how I feel too. Which is strange. It means that my expectations are both really low, but also really high. Hope for the best, expect the worst, as the old Mel Brooks song goes.

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#14 nomoser

nomoser

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

I am a relative SW geek ... On the one hand, I am taking my two boys out of school to see it Thursday morning (glad to see I am not the only one); and I will almost certainly see it again on a larger screen -- probably the new theaters in El Dorado Hills. On the other hand, I am not going to dress up, and in fact don't own any SW-related costumery (is that a word?).

I am looking forward to this movie. I was 9 when I saw the first one, and I have never totally lost that child-like wonder related to the franchise. Although I normally prefer character-driven films with great dialogue, I can't help but be forgiving in this case. The Star Wars universe is just cool.

That all being said, I must say I have been relieved to see that the reviews thus far have been way better than they were for Episodes I and II.

By the way ... Han shot first. great.gif

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(YabYum @ May 16 2005, 08:19 AM)
i hear that Lucas threw in quite a number of subtle jabs at the Bush Admin. That alone should make the film worth my $9.00! specool.gif

View Post

no kidding?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users