50 replies to this topic

#1 love2play

love2play

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

Ok so hubby and I drove around Folsom and Orangevale over the weekend. We noticed that Orangevale has some nice neighborhoods tucked into it.

I've gotten lots of feedback on my other post about Folsom neighborhoods so I was hoping for the same on Orangevale!!

So what do you folsomites think of the Orangevale areas???

(we live in Elk Grove but want to move up closer to hubbies work)

Thanks!!!

#2 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

MMMMMM.........not quite as nice as Folsom. Yuckie...actually.

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

Orangevale has pockets of nice areas. However I don't think it's even in the same ballpark as Folsom. Orangevale is not an incorporated city; as such, not a lot of planning. You'll notice all the way down Greenback are a string of Smog centers and auto parts stores, muffler shops. There's no "downtown" per se, and the neighborhoods are hit or miss. Some are very pretty, some are not.

I think the lack of "identity" is what Orangevale lacks. If/when they ever become incorporated as a city, I'm sure it will do wonders, as it has for Citrus Heights. But that may be 5, 10, 20, 50 years away... if ever!

Orangevale is great if you are looking for a place that has lots of acreage - if you have horses or something. Otherwise, I would say Folsom is far more preferable.

#4 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

We just bought a home, and were looking for a house all over the place. We saw homes in Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Roseville etc, all of these places have pockets that are great, but you may have to pass through neighborhoods that are not so great.

If you are just looking for a big house and dont care about schools etc, you can think of Orangevale. If you want a decent sized house & a good school district with easy access to freeway, you should consider Folsom.

Good luck!

#5 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(love2play @ May 6 2007, 06:11 PM) View Post
Ok so hubby and I drove around Folsom and Orangevale over the weekend. We noticed that Orangevale has some nice neighborhoods tucked into it.

I've gotten lots of feedback on my other post about Folsom neighborhoods so I was hoping for the same on Orangevale!!

So what do you folsomites think of the Orangevale areas???

(we live in Elk Grove but want to move up closer to hubbies work)

Thanks!!!

Since the Ovale bashing has started, let me jump in to defend it. Orangevale is not a city, it is, for the most part, a rural community. North of Greenback you will find larger lots and as you move towards Oak 1 acre parcels are the norm. North of Oak is mostly 2 acre parcels. South of Greenback is hit/miss and the posters are correct that the county's lack of enforcing code (up until 10 years ago) makes it interesting with the pockets of development. The further north of Greenback you get the better the planning enforcement.

If you are looking for property where you are not on top of your neighbor, a rural lifestyle (e.g horses, 4h, etc) and being close to the "cities" then Orangevale is for you. If you want sidewalks, streetlights, and yes traffic, then Folsom would be better.

#6 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(granto @ May 7 2007, 10:13 AM) View Post
Since the Ovale bashing has started, let me jump in to defend it. Orangevale is not a city, it is, for the most part, a rural community. North of Greenback you will find larger lots and as you move towards Oak 1 acre parcels are the norm. North of Oak is mostly 2 acre parcels. South of Greenback is hit/miss and the posters are correct that the county's lack of enforcing code (up until 10 years ago) makes it interesting with the pockets of development. The further north of Greenback you get the better the planning enforcement.

If you are looking for property where you are not on top of your neighbor, a rural lifestyle (e.g horses, 4h, etc) and being close to the "cities" then Orangevale is for you. If you want sidewalks, streetlights, and yes traffic, then Folsom would be better.

I've owned property in Orangevale off and on since 1992... currently I have a duplex on Lake Natoma drive and I have absolutely no problems... notwithstanding the shooting that happened on the street because a kid got a hold of a rifle and shot through the window and killed a guy... his car landed about 25 feet from my property.... but that could happen anywhere... much like the running down of that gal that pulled out of Applebee's on Ironpointe and got T-boned...

I think Orangevale is like Rancho Cordova in many ways... They are both a sleeper areas... you can get a nice little place in a first time buyer neighborhood and they have excellent schools... San Juan School district has a decent reputation and Bella Vista High School is among the best as far as I know... People are finding they can get a little bit more of a house and then fix it up.... There are neighborhoods in Orangevale that have a nice little access to the American River Parkway and the area where my duplex is located has a trail head about a block or two away...

If you have some serious $$$ you can get a nice big piece of land along with your house and enjoy your horse if you have one....

Over all though if you want to compare Folsom with Orangevale it's difficult... we have so many more amenities than Orangevale but you do pay more for your home in Folsom so I think it's worth it in the long run...

#7 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

In an effort to "humble" some Folsomites who are bashing Orangevale, let me just state that everything north of the the river was part of Orangevale until the early 1960s. In fact, American River Canyon was the dump.

Enough with the comparisons already!

#8 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

ARC is still a dump. Talk about Folsom ghetto!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#9 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(Terry @ May 21 2007, 06:17 PM) View Post
In an effort to "humble" some Folsomites who are bashing Orangevale, let me just state that everything north of the the river was part of Orangevale until the early 1960s. In fact, American River Canyon was the dump.

Enough with the comparisons already!

It would be cool to live close to the Dairy Queen. That place takes me back to hick towns in Oregon in the summer. Ahhhhhh. I wouldn't want to have to cross the river for work if I could help it. We try to avoid the DQ during rush hour for that reason.

#10 PromoMan

PromoMan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Orangevale is the new Granite Bay...

Granted the fixer-uppers out number the mansions but there is a definite trend of them getting fixed-up.

We moved here after 16 yrs in Folsom, mainly because we're into horses and Folsom was not. At one time (late 1800's), there were more horses per capita in OV than anywhere else in the US so it has quite a legacy. We love the big lots w/out neighbors too close. That's hard to find in Folsom.

There's good and bad about both places but we certainly appreciate the rural nature of OV.

#11 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(PromoMan @ Aug 16 2007, 03:28 PM) View Post
Orangevale is the new Granite Bay...

Granted the fixer-uppers out number the mansions but there is a definite trend of them getting fixed-up.

We moved here after 16 yrs in Folsom, mainly because we're into horses and Folsom was not. At one time (late 1800's), there were more horses per capita in OV than anywhere else in the US so it has quite a legacy. We love the big lots w/out neighbors too close. That's hard to find in Folsom.

There's good and bad about both places but we certainly appreciate the rural nature of OV.

HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was funny!
<3

#12 PsychoPeon

PsychoPeon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

Some people need to get a grasp on reality. Folsom isn't all that. It's a middle-income community with track house after track house. Just because everything is brand spankin' new, doesn't make it better than other communities. Other than Sutter Street, nothing distinguishes Folsom from other new communities. Folsom looks just like Elk Grove, Natomas, West Sac, and Rocklin. The houses are all in the same price ranges and you all have your Target, BJs, Mimi's, Costco, and other big box stores. Not to mention tiny lots that put you right on top of your neighbors. Folsom's nice, but people need to realize that you're not living in a high income upscale elite neighborhood. So stop acting like you're better than everyone else. Folsom is no Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills, or Land Park.

#13 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE(PsychoPeon @ Sep 15 2007, 09:51 PM) View Post
Some people need to get a grasp on reality. Folsom isn't all that. It's a middle-income community with track house after track house. Just because everything is brand spankin' new, doesn't make it better than other communities. Other than Sutter Street, nothing distinguishes Folsom from other new communities. Folsom looks just like Elk Grove, Natomas, West Sac, and Rocklin. The houses are all in the same price ranges and you all have your Target, BJs, Mimi's, Costco, and other big box stores. Not to mention tiny lots that put you right on top of your neighbors. Folsom's nice, but people need to realize that you're not living in a high income upscale elite neighborhood. So stop acting like you're better than everyone else. Folsom is no Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills, or Land Park.

It's all about zoning.... no horse ranches next to million dollar homes. I would never compare Folsom with anything in the south area, even though there are new areas in Elk Grove they are still having home invasions. Yes, Folsom is all that, and I am damn proud to live here.

#14 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Sep 16 2007, 01:17 AM) View Post
It's all about zoning.... no horse ranches next to million dollar homes. I would never compare Folsom with anything in the south area, even though there are new areas in Elk Grove they are still having home invasions. Yes, Folsom is all that, and I am damn proud to live here.

That's because newer EG was built on top of the ghetto EG, and is still ghetto as before!
<3

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(PsychoPeon @ Sep 15 2007, 09:51 PM) View Post

I agree that the new houses do tend to look the same in Folsom as the other communities you mention. It's not about being better than somebody else. It's all in what you're looking for.

If you want a more rural lifestyle and a large house where you can have 4-H type animals and not get cited for it Orangevale is probably a better choice. I can't comment on their schools because I don't know anything about them.

If you are concerned about gangs and schools and crime then I would think West Sac, Natomas and Elk Grove wouldn't be very good choices.

If you like safe biking, walking, and running trails Folsom is a good choice. The schools are also a good reason to live here. If you like recreational sports, Folsom offers about everything you can think of. Our proximity to Lake Natoma and Folsom Lake (pond right now) are also pluses.

As far as I'm concerned, Granite Bay and El Dorado Hills aren't "all that" either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users