72 replies to this topic

#16 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

teams go up and down as players get old or hurt and youngsters develop. the kings issue to me focuses on the arena.
sacramewnto is a nice sleepy town and wants to go back. the kings and the arena are two modern, and thats why folks are not behing any new arena

it gets worse when it seems the arena if it happens will be in that rail yard rather than at the arco property. probably cause the city keeps trying to lure folks downtown. can you imagine how long it would take to drive from folsom to a downtown arena compared to what it takes now to drive to arco, and then imaging the traffic before and after the game.

you kinda wonder at a kings game where the folks come from. I would bet not a lot from the city of sacramento, but more from the suburbs where there are more rich folks. you also would wonder with a new hard to get to arena, would the ticket prices go up. you would also wonder how many season ticket holders would give up their tickets for these reasons.

I predict the Maloofs will be moving out with the old Kings and Sacramento will come back to normal.

#17 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

I heard the other day they are #26 out of 32 teams, so yes, there are worse teams (just a few)

Well you heard wrong. Out of 30 teams They are tied for 2nd worst record in the league with Minnesota (Minn has played/lost 2 more games than the Kings but the Kings can catch up on that) but they are basically tied with a win % of about .233.

Cleveland has the worst record (only 8 wins in 45 games) mostly because Lebron took his talents to South Beach.

#18 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Well you heard wrong. They are tied for 2nd worst record in the league with Minnesota (Minn has played/lost 2 more games than the Kings but the Kings can catch up on that).

Cool an even worse record then I thought. yea!

#19 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

I believe the vast majority of people who say "ARCO is fine" have never been to another arena, which if true immediately invalidates their opinion.

#20 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Fair weather fan much?

I bet 5 years ago when the Kings were winning you weren't saying the owners did nothing for the team.
I bet when they were making a run for the championship you were first in line to buy Kings gear. (Guess who owned the Kings then?)
I would also bet you are all of a sudden a Giants fan, but couldn't care less about them 2 years ago.

You haven't answered the question of how Sacramento is a better place without the Kings and without a modern arena.

#21 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Fair weather fan much?

John, this is 2011. I am a fan of players more than teams. I am a fan of watching Labron, Wade, Amara, Kobe, Kevin Durant, etc. I honestly do not care one way or the other who wins or loses. It does me no good to get emotional if a team loses as they do not pay my taxes or mortgage. Fyi, yes I was a fan of Cwebb, Peja, Doug Christie, but I was also a fan of Kobe and Shaq at the same time because I follow college and high school hoops and enjoy watching success stories.

I followed CWEBB (Fab 5) in Michigan as I followed Doug Christie in Pepperdine as I followed Shaq in LSU. My point is why support a losing product or organization which the ONLY notable "banner" they have is 2005 WNBA Monarchs as Champions??

I truly do wish them basketball success, but businesswise success for the Kings would be greater with a new 2011-2013 Arena and some REAL excitement and a CULTURE of winning. Since a new Arena is NOT in the cards, it would not be a shocking business move for the Maloofs to finally wake up and move to San Jose, Anahiem, KC or another city that will lure them with other new tax incentives and a new arena.

#22 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

John, this is 2011. I am a fan of players more than teams. I am a fan of watching Labron, Wade, Amara, Kobe, Kevin Durant, etc. I honestly do not care one way or the other who wins or loses. It does me no good to get emotional if a team loses as they do not pay my taxes or mortgage. Fyi, yes I was a fan of Cwebb, Peja, Doug Christie, but I was also a fan of Kobe and Shaq at the same time because I follow college and high school hoops and enjoy watching success stories.

I followed CWEBB (Fab 5) in Michigan as I followed Doug Christie in Pepperdine as I followed Shaq in LSU. My point is why support a losing product or organization which the ONLY notable "banner" they have is 2005 WNBA Monarchs as Champions??

I truly do wish them basketball success, but businesswise success for the Kings would be greater with a new 2011-2013 Arena and some REAL excitement and a CULTURE of winning. Since a new Arena is NOT in the cards, it would not be a shocking business move for the Maloofs to finally wake up and move to San Jose, Anahiem, KC or another city that will lure them with other new tax incentives and a new arena.

You're suggesting that because it's 2011 somehow being a fan of a team has become passé?

#23 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

I hope you don't teach your kids that sports is always ONLY about winning. Your "if you don't win you're a total loser" philosophy is not healthy.

No I do not. In fact, I pushed my oldest kid into basketball and he was enjoying it for a little while and then he lost interest. I did not push him further. I put him in non competitive league (no scores) and he just had a good time.

You're suggesting that because it's 2011 somehow being a fan of a team has become passé?

no chad, I am saying that in MY world (my opinion), I do not care as much today about teams as much as I did say in 1990 when I was a die hard UNLV Runnin Rebels fan.

I believe the vast majority of people who say "ARCO is fine" have never been to another arena, which if true immediately invalidates their opinion.

+1000. THE best post of this thread!!!

#24 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Just to further prove your ignorance with facts and logic, not trite blathering...

I believe that the organization is one of the worst run businesses that basically celebrates failures and has brought a culture of mediocrity from the ownership down. When a team which has been here a quarter of a century is ONLY above the .500 mark 7 years (1999-2006), what kid of winning culture does that portray???

The Maloof's have only been owners since 1998 (minority owner) and controlling majority owners since 1999. So all eight of the winning seasons have come during their 12+ year reign as owners. Yes the team is going through a rough rebuilding stretch that was dramatically worsened by the economy, but I don't see how having 8 winning seasons out of 12 is a "culture of mediocrity".

yes yes, I get the arguments of "the Maloofs and the Kings" creating jobs, yada yada, but I am talking about WINNING.

Again, if WINNING is the only criteria for having and supporting a team, 90% of sports teams would not exist. Even the SF Giants have sucked more often in my lifetime than not. Should San Francisco have run the team out of town? Should they have not built a new stadium?

If we live in a town where we celebrate failures in the past 25 + years because it creates jobs, then we should not complain about all those state govt workers and duplicate agencies that are basically doing the same thing, but they are keeping people employed too? All those calls for dramatically reducing the State employees and agencies by the very same folks defending the failing business of the Kings????

I think the stupidity of this statement has already been addressed.

... I do enjoy going to Kings games on 2 conditions. 1) someone gives me free tickets, good seats and good parking and 2) some other REAL NBA team of value has come to town ... Bottom line is why should I PAY for a poor product ... the City has sent a loud and clear message that the taxpayers will NOT foot the bill for a new arena ...

Nobody is forcing you to pay for anything. You have this dullard, selfish notion that just because the business exists, you must support and give it money or it should not exist at all.

You are even admitting here that you've been to some games and have enjoyed yourself. Regardless of whether you paid or the reason was to see the Kings or someone else, it was an evening of entertainment that you enjoyed that would no longer be available! I'm sure you've also attended other events at Arco Arena. Without the Kings, the arena will be demolished and that entertainment will be gone, too.

You still haven't answered the simple question: How is the greater Sacramento area better off with this all being gone, versus them staying and you just ignoring and not spending any money on them?

quote name='palango' timestamp='1296239742' post='408670'
... Since a new Arena is NOT in the cards, ...

The idea isn't totally dead just yet. It's not looking good, but as of today, this is yet another incorrect statement.

quote name='palango' timestamp='1296239742' post='408670'
John, this is 2011. I am a fan of players more than teams. ...

I'm a fan of Sacramento more than players or teams. Regardless of the who owns the Kings and what their record is, Sacramento will suffer if the Kings move and Arco Arena is demolished.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#25 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Fair weather fan much?

I bet 5 years ago when the Kings were winning you weren't saying the owners did nothing for the team.
I bet when they were making a run for the championship you were first in line to buy Kings gear. (Guess who owned the Kings then?)
I would also bet you are all of a sudden a Giants fan, but couldn't care less about them 2 years ago.

You haven't answered the question of how Sacramento is a better place without the Kings and without a modern arena.

I love you man! :2thumbsup:

#26 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

If you 'honestly' don't care who wins or loses why do you only follow the players who are winning who are paid the most and on tv and in the news the most? Seems rather shallow no?

It really sounds to me like you're being led by the sounds of cheers of victory and big money (for those top players) and that you don't know much about the game itself.

Let me ask you this, are the Chicago Bulls total losers because they don't have a big star like Jordon on their team right now?

#27 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

I'm a fan of Sacramento more than players or teams. Regardless of the who owns the Kings and what their record is, Sacramento will suffer if the Kings move and Arco Arena is demolished.

+1000 points and another white russian for this guy! That right there is EXACTLY what being a fan of a local team is all about! Loyalty to your city that you love, and it's team(s)... no matter how good or bad they are doing. LOVE WHERE YOU LIVE... or think about moving.

#28 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

LOVE WHERE YOU LIVE... or think about moving.

Instead of moving, why not trying your best to make changes to make things better?

#29 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Instead of moving, why not trying your best to make changes to make things better?

I don't think Palango can afford to hire Kobe to play for the Kings

#30 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

I don't think Palango can afford to hire Kobe to play for the Kings

There is only one person this team could get that would help them win now, but I think one has to be a Christian and have faith for that person to show up!

The Kings are on the right track and have aquired some talent that will take a few years to develop. They will be winning in a few years, if they stay the course.

Wether the Maloofs can survive this rebuilding, given other public speculation regarding their finances might be another story. They may find themselves in a situation where they have to sell, because I don't think Pro Sports teams generate positive cash flow. There may be out of town potential buyers and this might lead to the Kings moving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users