9 replies to this topic

#1 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

Just heard the news the York Family (San Francisco 49ers) invested in the Sacramento Republic Soccer organization.

This is going to be a very interesting partnership.    

Sacramento Republic has had great success in Sacramento in 2014.      This is a huge accomplishment in today's economy considering limits in sports fan professional sports dollars spending.

The investor could be sincere in the success of the Sac Republic in Sacramento and their ambition to join the larger leagues in professional Soccer.    With the changing population demographics,   Professional Soccer has the potential to pass up NFL in attendance and TV viewing.   

What could happen is certain investors could treat the Republic as the "step child" to their other investment.   This could inhibit the Republic from achieving the objectives and goals.

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

As long as the NFL exists there is no way soccer will ever pass it in terms of attendance and viewing and $$$$.

#3 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

As long as the NFL exists there is no way soccer will ever pass it in terms of attendance and viewing and $$$$.

Who says it has to be bigger then the NFL? It's a great sport and there are plenty of fans out there.

You may not be into it but that doesn't mean it's not popular.  

Svzr2FS.jpg

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

Who says it has to be bigger then the NFL? It's a great sport and there are plenty of fans out there.

Trust me I've been into soccer for quite some time and enjoy it and follow it. Not just a World Cup type of fan. I was referring to the OP line where she said this:  Professional Soccer has the potential to pass up NFL in attendance and TV viewing.

We know this won't happen although an MLS team would be great for this area. Seattle gets 40,000+ for the Sounders games which is truly impressive. This area could probably support something close to that but as I said, the NFL will never be overtaken.

#5 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

I also agree soccer does not have to be as big as the NFL.   The Republic will definitely effect the revenue of the 49ers.     The lower and middle income fans in the Sacramento area that enjoy football and soccer have limited funds.   Due to the locality of the Republic and the good ticket prices prove soccer to be a better value.     

Hope everything works out for the Republic with the new investors.       Hopefully it will not be "too much to soon" with the new investors on board.   2014 was great year for Soccer in Sacramento with the founding grassroots personnel/sponsors that started the republic.    They were able to get the fan support and enthusiasm early.

#6 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Or it could be the York family realizes the NFL is full of overpaid, cheating thugs and wanted to get involved with a growing sport where they wouldn't be held hostage to this type of person.  Soccer players aren't perfect, but  I don't remember the last time I saw a domestic violence commercial when watch a soccer match.

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

Or it could be the York family realizes the NFL is full of overpaid, cheating thugs and wanted to get involved with a growing sport where they wouldn't be held hostage to this type of person.  Soccer players aren't perfect, but  I don't remember the last time I saw a domestic violence commercial when watch a soccer match.

You're right, because soccer is too busy trying to stamp out racism. Each sport has its issues.

#8 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

You're right, because soccer is too busy trying to stamp out racism. Each sport has its issues.

I think the racism you are referring to is more of a European fan thing than a player thing.  From what I've seen, the actual players are quite supportive of the others who have been racially attacked.  On the other hand, the NFL teams have hired a bunch of criminals and it shows.

#9 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

I think the racism you are referring to is more of a European fan thing than a player thing.  From what I've seen, the actual players are quite supportive of the others who have been racially attacked.  On the other hand, the NFL teams have hired a bunch of criminals and it shows.

Never heard of John Terry have you.

#10 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:03 AM

Never heard of John Terry have you.

Nope - but having checked, he said three offensive words, was suspended four games, paid about a $330,000 fine, and the team manager lost his job.  If he had been an NFL player I'm guessing he would have gotten a pay raise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users