• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From SacBee: http://www.sacbee.co...alleges-ad.html

Among allegations in the suit filed in federal court are the following:

* No required accessible parking
* The main entrance is not accessible to the disabled
* The inside seating area, which has only about a dozen stools, should have accessible tables.
* The outside seating area is hard to navigate due to a gravel surface.
* Not enough floor space for someone in a wheelchair at outside tables.
* The route to the restroom is not accessible.
* The restaurant has room insufficient to accommodate patrons in wheelchairs.

like evader said, I better get there soon to try their burgers before they go out of business

old town Sacramento ought to be ripe for more lawsuits with their places so far out of ADA compliance. Then there's also the old restaurant in Coloma, and Poor Reds, those old places are likely out of ADA compliance, lets see, I think Jamestown also has a bunch of old places that I bet can't be accessed via wheelchairs...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jul 8 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking. I play the lottery every once in a while, but it's very discriminatory. Only a handful of people ever win. I'm lucky if I even get a lousy $5 bucks of that $100M payout! I think I'm going to start a class action lawsuit, and demand even distribution for everybody! I figure that after the lawyers fees, anyone in the class action should be able to get a reward of at least 50cents per ticket! Who's with me?

I don't play Lotto however I think I am entitled to this lawsuit. It's only fair.

#18 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jul 8 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
like evader said, I better get there soon to try their burgers before they go out of business

old town Sacramento ought to be ripe for more lawsuits with their places so far out of ADA compliance. Then there's also the old restaurant in Coloma, and Poor Reds, those old places are likely out of ADA compliance, lets see, I think Jamestown also has a bunch of old places that I bet can't be accessed via wheelchairs...

Oh My Dave you haven't had the "Squeeze" yet .... Love that place it's been awhile but I better get down there before they shut it down... What a shame if this happens...

#19 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jul 8 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm talking about the business owner. So you know that he did everything in his power huh? You know that she's a gold-digger? You know that she does this all the time and that she's sueing for bags of money? You obviously must have some inside source into this situation that I sure don't.

And obviously it's one or the other. Force the handicapped to stay outside or close your doors.

I think that there are probably solutions that lie somewhere in the middle. I'm saying that I can understand why someone who is already singled out, to be made to eat outside, might be unhappy with that situation. I also said that I don't think that a lawsuit is the right response. It just makes me feel really sad that there are so many people on this forum who have absolutely no empathy for what the handicapped have to go through in life that they would immediately start calling her names and wishing that she would "get what's coming to her". Did I say "hurray, she's sueing!". No. Did I say "Dam that Squeeze Inn, they're getting what's coming to them!" No. I just said that I have empathy for her situation. Yikes. Excuse me for feeling for her

I feel for her, but I don't think it's fair for her to punish others because she is handicapped. I'm sick and tired of all these sue-happy people. She can get the burger, so she should be happy. I'm not getting into an argument with you. We will NEVER agree on this issue. I think it is wrong what she, and that other gold-digger, are doing. If she gets NO money, I'll retract my statement about her being a gold-digger. I still think it's selfish and cruel to essentially force a business to close because they can't remodel the entire facility for her.

#20 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Jul 8 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel for her, but I don't think it's fair for her to punish others because she is handicapped. I'm sick and tired of all these sue-happy people. She can get the burger, so she should be happy. I'm not getting into an argument with you. We will NEVER agree on this issue. I think it is wrong what she, and that other gold-digger, are doing. If she gets NO money, I'll retract my statement about her being a gold-digger. I still think it's selfish and cruel to essentially force a business to close because they can't remodel the entire facility for her.

FTA:

The suit asks the court to force Squeeze Inn owner Travis E. Hausauer to make the fixes and to and award an unspecified amount for damage.

Unless that amount is "a squeeze with cheese", I agree.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#21 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Jul 8 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you can never agree that it's not okay to call her names and wish her harm in a public forum? You can never agree that this situation sucks for both parties? You could never see the difficulty of her situation as well as the business owners? Cause that's all I said

#22 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jul 8 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you can never agree that it's not okay to call her names and wish her harm in a public forum? You can never agree that this situation sucks for both parties? You could never see the difficulty of her situation as well as the business owners? Cause that's all I said

So it's better to rectify her difficult situation by causing difficulty for owners and countless patrons? It sucks she's disabled, yes, but life isn't fair and no amount of lawsuits will make it fair.

#23 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (c_vanderveen @ Jul 8 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it's better to rectify her difficult situation by causing difficulty for owners and countless patrons? It sucks she's disabled, yes, but life isn't fair and no amount of lawsuits will make it fair.

When the business closes, will she be able to use the bathroom and sit at the counter?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#24 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (c_vanderveen @ Jul 8 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I ever say that a lawsuit was the right way to handle it? No. In fact, twice I said it wasn't. I was simply pointing out it's not okay to call her names and wish her harm, and that there is some legitimacy to her wanting to have access just like everyone else. Separate is not equal my friends.

#25 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

This is her third lawsuit.

http://dockets.justi...p;max-year=2009

#26 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (randb @ Jul 8 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is her third lawsuit.

http://dockets.justi...p;max-year=2009

okay, that pretty much clears up any mystery. thank you. that is a great site, by the way. its frightening that people go out of their way looking to sue people over thi sissue. I wish something would be done to reform the ADA laws, rather than allow this sort of threat to hang over small businesses and parks like Damacles' sword. (sorry if I spelled that incorrectly.) its hard enough these days as it is.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#27 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jul 8 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the business closes, will she be able to use the bathroom and sit at the counter?

LoL. Dude, you have some great comebacks. I don't know what you do, but you'd probably be great as a stand-up comic.

#28 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

I also don't understand being awarded damages in a case like this. And maybe that's what needs to change. I can see needing to have to option to sue if a place is totally inaccessible and the owner won't even try to make accomadations. However, it seems like all that should be done in those cases is to force them to address the ADA compliance issues, but without paying a settlement to whomever brought the case.

#29 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

another problem is that the laws keep changing, new stipulations added. for instance, the City made all their streets and sidewalks ADA compliant when they were constructing them over the years. Then the laws change and now intersections that are less than 10 years old are now out of compliance and could cause a law suit. So you can build an ADA compliant sidewalk, spend 10s of thousands of dollars and then in just 10 short years find you need to redo it. There is something wrong with this law. It's like trying to hit a moving target.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#30 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jul 8 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I ever say that a lawsuit was the right way to handle it? No. In fact, twice I said it wasn't. I was simply pointing out it's not okay to call her names and wish her harm, and that there is some legitimacy to her wanting to have access just like everyone else. Separate is not equal my friends.

I think you are the same page until this last part. Sure it would be nice if she could go everywhere that we can go but does she have right to force a business to make it happen? No.

It is in the best interest of a business to make access as open as possible (greater potential customers = greater potential revenue) but as noted earlier should businesses and public parks\buildings etc be fully disabled accessible i.e. the wheelchair accessible climb up El Capitan? Again no.

The complaint of a gravel and dirt pathway to the rear patio was unacceptable...guess what we all step on each day-- dirt, rocks, water, grass. Yes it sucks having a disability and insults or names shouldnt be said (although it is a liberty we can enjoy) but the ADA rules need to be reasonable. Earth is not Utopia, it's not fair but you pick what you like\love and go with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users