#16 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (nomad @ May 20 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weren't these 2 guys teammates? Wasn't Lance sort of Landis mentor? How could it be that one guy on the team was doping and nobody else knew or they just didn't say anything?

I don't really care too much about cycling, I think it's quite boring, but there just seems to be quite a few odd things to this whole story.

If nothing is ever proven that Lance used anything that's fine, he can remain on his pedestal as you say but even the hint of him being "around" a teammate that was doping does seem to raise a few questions don't you think??

Guilt by association, right? wacko.gif

#17 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (folsombound @ May 20 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't that turn out to be exactly the case with Bonds and Conseco?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#18 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (folsombound @ May 20 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think brown's post above says it best.

#19 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Yes, Brown puts it well.

There are also numerous detailed accounts of Lance's drug involvement. For example, I believe it was Landis who told a story some time ago about a Postal trailer having drugs for every rider, and Lance getting angry at Landis for some impertinence, and flushing Landis' drugs down the toilet for that day's ride. Then there was an Irish soigneur who came forward and talked about all Lance's syringes... I have heard too many accounts with unique details to dismiss them all.

Brown, do you think Lance might be clean now?

#20 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

Brown has an educated response in questioning whether Lance or others were or are guilty of doping. The others who know very little or care very little about cycling carry little or no factual information beyond being haters. And that's fine it is a free country but doesn't mean it makes sense.

Lance has been tested and tested and he is amazing. Did he dope years ago when the science was maturing or was he just incredibly driven and or lucky? Hard to say at this time however the sport is under close eye... hopefully they will get ahead of the cheaters vs. catching up as mentioned already. All sports should be clean.

#21 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ May 20 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brown, do you think Lance might be clean now?

I don't know, I would like to think the the testing is pretty stringent with the advent of the biological passport, and the incredible scrutiny of not just Lance but all the top riders. I think that question may not be answered for years to come, since samples are being preserved for years now and will be tested in the future as the tests evolve. Unfortunately there will always be cheaters in every sport, as long as money and fame is on the line.

It still doesn't diminish my love of watching the sport though!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#22 Ogre of 4

Ogre of 4

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (brown @ May 20 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here. But there has to be an American in the hunt or I just tune out. Same with the Olympics, summer or winter.
God, if I can’t have what I want, let me want what I have.

#23 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (brown @ May 20 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree! Absolutely love it.

That said, I'm glad cycling is doing so much now to catch cheaters -- I never want to feel like I am watching a "fake" World Wrestling type event.

I think the sport got seriously off track in the 90's and early 2000's. It is a very distasteful and despicable thought that all those young men-- encouraged by their coaches and with dreams of "making it big"-- were doping up with goodness-knows-what. So many of them died in their sleep from thickened blood. It was an absolute travesty and I hold the coaches -- Bruyneel, Andy Riis, etc. -- more responsible than their young charges. They have blood on their hands.

#24 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ May 20 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree! Absolutely love it.

That said, I'm glad cycling is doing so much now to catch cheaters -- I never want to feel like I am watching a "fake" World Wrestling type event.

I think the sport got seriously off track in the 90's and early 2000's. It is a very distasteful and despicable thought that all those young men-- encouraged by their coaches and with dreams of "making it big"-- were doping up with goodness-knows-what. So many of them died in their sleep from thickened blood. It was an absolute travesty and I hold the coaches -- Bruyneel, Andy Riis, etc. -- more responsible than their young charges. They have blood on their hands.

It's always been dirty and now they are finally cleaning it up. What gives me hope is that the culture is changing to where doping is actually considered cheating, rather than simply "preparing for a race". Jacques Anquetil, the original 5-time TdF champ, once said "I do not wish to hear spoken the word doping. Rather, one must say 'treating yourself,' and speak of treatments that are not appropriate for ordinary mortals. You cannot compete in the Tour de France on mineral water alone."

That is the attitude that needs to change before all else, and it looks like people are finally getting sick of it.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#25 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Just in

http://www.huffingto...-of-california/
Armstrong crashes, off to hospital for X-rays

May 20, 2010 04:35 PM EST |

Compare other versions »
VISALIA, Calif. — Lance Armstrong has crashed during the Tour of California, sending him to the hospital for stitches to his elbow and cheek on the day he was accused of doping by former teammate Floyd Landis.

Team spokesman Philippe Maertens says Armstrong got stitches in his left elbow and under his left eye.

Armstrong's longtime coach Johan Bruyneel tweeted Thursday that Armstrong was involved in a "huge" crash and had to quit the race.

The cyclists were on a two-lane road outside Visalia a few miles into the race when a rider in the main group skidded on some gravel and fell, causing others, including Armstrong, to crash. His left cheek was bloodied in the wreck, and his left eye appeared swollen.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#26 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

Considering F500's source was a political site it had more information than Universal Sports. Thx for the link F500.

#27 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

I don't care if Lance was doping. I assume he was. The fact remains if EVERYONE was doing it , he still kicked EVERYONE's ^$$ in the same time period.

Same with Barry Bonds. Everyone did it, he was still the best of the rest of the juicers.
How to deduct from his numbers to equal other bombers, that I can't explain.

#28 Squidward

Squidward

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

Landis is a desperate chump. All this crap about please help me defend myself against the lab that found the synthetic testosterone. What a joke of a man.

#29 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

Inside view on today's Crash:

"How do I stop - I mean I've never done that before in any race...
Lance you get in the car"

Lance Crash

#30 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

The cycling discussion boards are suggesting that "Pharmstrong" manufactured the crash (his long-time lieutenant Chechen Rubiera was first to go down) so he could exit the Tour and lay low while the doping allegations swirl.

I don't know. On the one hand, his injuries looked pretty real. On the other hand, since when do riders crash 15 minutes into a race on a straight stretch of road?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users