35 replies to this topic

#16 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

So, with a little under a months worth of training I feel I am ready now. My century is this Saturday. I feel very good about it and have all of my issues worked out. It's going to be a blast and I know it's supposed to be a group ride, but I have a feeling that the last 15 miles are going to be an absolute free for all. Which will be great, because I have done some interesting training rides that have greatly increased my lung capacity and made me a champ on the hills. The ride is mostly flat except the last 15-20 miles. There has been some friendly $hit talking from a couple of the younger guys, I really am going to try and show them a thing or two. It's all in good fun though. Actually I want to walk all over them.

#17 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Good Luck Chris and and have fun. Oh BTW, kick butt! biggrin.gif

#18 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Good Luck!! Make sure to drinks lots of fluids!!!

QUOTE (chris v @ Jul 7 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, with a little under a months worth of training I feel I am ready now. My century is this Saturday. I feel very good about it and have all of my issues worked out. It's going to be a blast and I know it's supposed to be a group ride, but I have a feeling that the last 15 miles are going to be an absolute free for all. Which will be great, because I have done some interesting training rides that have greatly increased my lung capacity and made me a champ on the hills. The ride is mostly flat except the last 15-20 miles. There has been some friendly $hit talking from a couple of the younger guys, I really am going to try and show them a thing or two. It's all in good fun though. Actually I want to walk all over them.

#19 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

Two Words: Hammer Nutrition.

*Sustained Energy or Perpetuam

You could go all day without having to stop at any store, you'd only need to stop for water.

Also, "salt tablets" are essential in the heat.

For 100+ rides, you can carry all you need in your jersey pockets, no need to stop at stores or feeding stations.

100 Flat miles, should take you 5.5 to 6 hours if you've been training, use that to calcualte how much "fuel" to carry with you.

#20 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Good luck Chris, I hope you have a blast!

#21 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Good Luck Chris!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#22 Ray

Ray

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

You need this for your ride smile.gif To Represent!

Jersey:

Bib Shorts:

#23 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Ray @ Jul 8 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need this for your ride smile.gif To Represent!

Never heard of folsomcycle.com, I like the jersey!
I glanced through the forum. It doesn't seem to get a lot of use. It would be great to have a Folsom bicycle forum as part of myfolsom.com.

#24 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

Well, I owned it. Really though it was a ton of fun. Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to do more rides. So, we left my brothers apt. in Long Beach at about 4:40 am. By 5 am we were at CSULB to meet up with the rest of the group. We were riding by 5:30. The pace for the first 5 miles was a bit faster than I liked, especially since I was still warming up so I was hanging off the back of the group. But once I got warmed up, I knew the pace I wanted to be at for the majority of the ride. So up into the front I went. Everyone stayed real close for awhile. At Newport Beach, which is about 30 miles into the ride, some of the group was getting starting to get slower because of the hills. One rider couldn't go any further, he would be the only one to not finish. We kept going. In Laguna Beach we had a 10 year old yell out the window of his moms car, "get on the f&$kin sidewalk". We all laughed. We kept a good solid pace and had a few stops here and there to fill up on water. Then it happened at mile 72. We were in Oceanside and just about to go inland towards Escondido. I started feeling the bonk coming on. I had been out in front for 95% of the ride and I was either several hundred feet ahead of the group or just in front. Either way I was putting out a full effort the whole time. No drafting. I wanted to finish strong and ahead of everyone. So, I ate a power bar (my last one) and chased that with 2 packs of gel. Within minutes I was fine. The last 20 miles were very hilly. Long climbs, steep climbs. Lots of fun. I was the first to make it to the finish with no one else in site. So. 97 miles, 6 hours 5 min.

#25 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

That is awesome!!!! Congrats on a VERY successful first Century, Chris. I always love reading about your bike adventures. Looking forward to reading about the next one.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#26 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Jul 13 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I owned it. Really though it was a ton of fun. Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to do more rides. So, we left my brothers apt. in Long Beach at about 4:40 am. By 5 am we were at CSULB to meet up with the rest of the group. We were riding by 5:30. The pace for the first 5 miles was a bit faster than I liked, especially since I was still warming up so I was hanging off the back of the group. But once I got warmed up, I knew the pace I wanted to be at for the majority of the ride. So up into the front I went. Everyone stayed real close for awhile. At Newport Beach, which is about 30 miles into the ride, some of the group was getting starting to get slower because of the hills. One rider couldn't go any further, he would be the only one to not finish. We kept going. In Laguna Beach we had a 10 year old yell out the window of his moms car, "get on the f&$kin sidewalk". We all laughed. We kept a good solid pace and had a few stops here and there to fill up on water. Then it happened at mile 72. We were in Oceanside and just about to go inland towards Escondido. I started feeling the bonk coming on. I had been out in front for 95% of the ride and I was either several hundred feet ahead of the group or just in front. Either way I was putting out a full effort the whole time. No drafting. I wanted to finish strong and ahead of everyone. So, I ate a power bar (my last one) and chased that with 2 packs of gel. Within minutes I was fine. The last 20 miles were very hilly. Long climbs, steep climbs. Lots of fun. I was the first to make it to the finish with no one else in site. So. 97 miles, 6 hours 5 min.

Congrats Chris! Well done

hey don't you owe 3 more miles? tongue.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#27 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Wow! Chris that is great!! Congratulations. Yesterday I was wondering how you did.

#28 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

Outstanding!! Way to own the Ride!!

QUOTE (chris v @ Jul 13 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#29 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jul 13 2010, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats Chris! Well done

hey don't you owe 3 more miles? tongue.gif

That's what I was thinking laugh.gif
I would rather be Backpacking

#30 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Awesome job, chris! You sound like a really good rider and you knew just what to do when you felt the bonk coming on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users