• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:04 AM

The day after the BP Early Bird Crit my husband found out that his frame has two cracks in it. Since he bought the bike used we have no idea what is going to happen next. :o Of course, I told him to blog out his frustrations so here is the whole sad story to date: http://grovetribe.bl...ything-old.html

Please wish us luck for a happy resolution!
Dawn Grove

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

My frame is stiff and creaks and groans the older it gets, but it's still great to be alive.

#3 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Specialized has a lifetime warranty on most of the frames they produce. I'm not sure if it will apply in your case, since you bought it used, but you may be able to get a new frame at cost, or at a substantial discount. I would suggest just calling their customer service department, they are a great company and hopefully something can get worked out.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#4 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

Specialized has a lifetime warranty on most of the frames they produce. I'm not sure if it will apply in your case, since you bought it used, but you may be able to get a new frame at cost, or at a substantial discount. I would suggest just calling their customer service department, they are a great company and hopefully something can get worked out.

Thanks, we are waiting to hear back. Trying to care for a large, blended family on one income means that have very little money and buying bicycle equipment is a big sacrifice for our family so we hope we can get this resolved as inexpensively as possible.

I know some folks may not understand this but with all of the hardships we have been through in the past few years and the crushing challenges we have in our lives we finally found something to feel good about. My husband works so hard for our family, he sacrifices so much and has always asked for so little in return. I was watching the love of my life being beaten down over and over again and I was so afraid it would break him. We need him so much.

Our decision to support my husband's dream to race was one to save a marriage, a family and a man's hope. Then we found out that he is good at it and suddenly the world didn't seem so impossibly cruel anymore. He sold his motorcycle, (we are now down to one vehicle) cashed in retirement along with doing a whole slew of other things to be able to afford races and his team kit.

It is worth it as we have seen our family come together and find something to be hopeful for and feel good about. We are that annoying family screaming our heads off during the races and glowing with joy in the freezing morning temperatures. My daughter now wants to race (and I have to admit that I would love a shot at it too if my health cooperates.)

All of our hearts are invested in it so after all this sacrifice to hear that his frame was cracked was crushing. Not knowing when he would be able to race again was pretty hard to take. For some folks reading about it, it may not sound like a big deal, "Who cares? Some guy's widdle bike doesn't work." or "why don't they just buy a new one?" There is so much to the story than what may show on the surface.

I mean there were tears in my husband's eyes (a man who DOES NOT CRY!) when he told us about the bike and he apologized over and over again for this happening (and it wasn't even his fault!) He knew how much we all sacrificed and how much it meant to all of us and we were all crushed. It is a hard thing to find a ray of light in such a tough point in our lives and have it suddenly taken away.

Thank you to those who are offering their support and advice. It is much appreciated.
Dawn Grove

#5 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

I don't know how much one of these bikes costs, but I'm wondering if there is a way to obtain a replacement through the BC team, or if there is another way....

I've read some of Chris' blogs, and the BC website, so I understand a solution is needed quickly.

#6 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:54 PM

Oh! I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I would offer to loan him by bike, but I fear it'd be just a tad too small as it's a 48"!

But, seriously, maybe have him contact the Cycle Folsom group to see if anyone has anything in his size:

http://www.cyclefols...rm/contact.aspx

I think there is a new group that rides out of the new Folsom Bike & Grind as well. Perhaps someone who rides with them . . .

I suppose if all else fails he could rent something for the day of the race. But, of course, that is not idea by any means.

Good luck to you both! :)

#7 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

We got a great solution for the race last saturday by way of a loaner from one of his teammates. http://grovetribe.bl...lling-part.html Still awaiting final results on the frame issue itself.... Will let you guys know what happens!
Dawn Grove

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

My husband's bicycle, a Trek, developed a crack in the frame. We were lucky we were just puttering around town when he noticed it and not going the fast speeds (and often down hill) that he does on his commute rides when he noticed it -- which could have caused him serious injury. The bike is still under warranty so Trek is giving him a new frame. He should have his bike back today or tomorrow.

Interesting -- the crack appears to have begun under a sticker (listing the bike's serial number), which is why he didn't notice it until the crack was so large it began to peek out on both sides of the sticker. He'll never leave a sticker on a frame again.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

It's interesting to hear the expensive bikes having problems with cracked frames - I thought they were stronger then that (?)

I used to have a Specialized mountain bike and sold it after I bought a cheaper GT (planned to use it as a rough bike). I've beaten that bike up and down all over riding it as hard as it can be ridden on mountain trails, and it's still rock solid, cost me $150 vs the Specialized that cost $1150

Is this a fairly common issue with the more expensive bikes or an extreme rarity?

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Is this a fairly common issue with the more expensive bikes or an extreme rarity?

My husband says this isn't supposed to happen. I don't know why it did, but it doesn't appear to be common. But then how would we know? We're impressed with Trek's customer service to fix this issue, but it really shouldn't have cracked in the first place.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

My husband says this isn't supposed to happen. I don't know why it did, but it doesn't appear to be common. But then how would we know? We're impressed with Trek's customer service to fix this issue.

Is there a warranty period limit (1-3 year) or is it a lifetime warranty?

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Is there a warranty period limit (1-3 year) or is it a lifetime warranty?

He's had the bike just under five years and I think the bike was warranted for five. I'll have to ask him later.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#13 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

My trek road bike and my trek mountain bike both have lifetime warranties on the frame. That is one of the reasons why I buy trek bikes.

#14 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

My trek road bike and my trek mountain bike both have lifetime warranties on the frame. That is one of the reasons why I buy trek bikes.

That's a good reason

#15 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Expensive bikes are made to be lightweight. They use material that's very high strength - and not very much of it. Such stuff tends to be a little bit brittle. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that cheap heavy steel bikes are more durable, at least in the frame.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users