54 replies to this topic

#16 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

According to the Police Log for yesterday, 12/7/2014 at 8:30 pm, police were called for vandalism to playground equipment at 600 E. Bidwell Street.  Not sure if the address is accurate because 600 East Bidwell, is at the corner of East Bidwell and Glenn Drive where RiteAid and Starbucks are on opposite corners.  There is no 600 Bidwell, as the numbers on Bidwell start at 700 Bidwell and go up from there down towards Folsom Blvd.  The alleged suspects may have been stopped at the 600 East Bidwell location coming from Lembi Park/Aquatic Center where there's a lot of playground equipment.

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

not that place. nice try

#18 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

As Terry noted, they were "persons of interest" because of a crime in the area.  Pretty easy to understand IMO.

Were the kids harmed in any way whatsoever?,  other then having to wait until things were cleared up?

Are you telling us they were bullied by the police? 

I see this as more entitlement generation whining.

You might want to ask yourself why was your group of teenagers hanging out in a park in the dark after 9pm? It does cause suspicions.

I know when I was a teen hanging out at a park at 9pm I sure as heck wasn't playing hop-scotch or doing bible study. 

Michael Brown as called a "kid" too.

The kids that were stopped -were not at the park. At any time. They walked to the park corner and walked back to my house. They were just walking off their supper. 

*gasp--People still do that in the US

Albeit-much more so in European countries (hint hint--where my kids spent their young youth)

#19 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

Obviously, we don't know all the details.  I fail to see in your description where civil rights were violated and anything that warrants "burning the cop shop to the ground" and firing everyone.  I also don't understand why you say that they had no reason to detain them other than them being teens since you also stated that there was a crime nearby and a witness to that crime.

If they were walking near the scene of the crime, especially if they were going away from that scene or seem out of place, and fit the description that the victim provided and it is reasonably possible that they could be the person they are looking for, then probable cause is usually met and no civil rights were violated just because they were detained long enough to get an id from the victim.

Unless you know what the crime was and where it occurred, I don't see how you can claim for sure that this was not a valid stop.  Given that the cops were a little jumpy, I'm guessing that it was a violent crime of some sort or a weapon was involved and not some graffiti at the park.

If you don't want your kids to get shot, teach them the proper way to behave in that situation so they don't freak out an officer that is already a little on edge.

Nope, but if there is a valid reason to believe there was a violent crime around the corner from my house- then I will encourage my kids to carry weapons. They have a right to do so, and to protect themselves.

and your a nut if you think anyone has a right to arrest you just willy nilly. 

When you are detained at threat of being shot- whether you are in handcuffs or not- that is arrest.---you dont believe me on that check out the law... It says so. 

Those arfing cops did break the law. 

fogging up the reality of it with your own idea of what you think is sensible doesn't make what the cops did legal. They dont have a right to stop you and even make contact with you without probable cause. It is absolutely not probable cause to stop every person they see on the street because  a witness saw teens do something ( at a park a block away)

#20 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

According to the Police Log for yesterday, 12/7/2014 at 8:30 pm, police were called for vandalism to playground equipment at 600 E. Bidwell Street.  Not sure if the address is accurate because 600 East Bidwell, is at the corner of East Bidwell and Glenn Drive where RiteAid and Starbucks are on opposite corners.  There is no 600 Bidwell, as the numbers on Bidwell start at 700 Bidwell and go up from there down towards Folsom Blvd.  The alleged suspects may have been stopped at the 600 East Bidwell location coming from Lembi Park/Aquatic Center where there's a lot of playground equipment.

Terry, I think they probably meant the 600 block of East Bidwell.  It could have been the playground equipment at McDonalds, which would be included in that block.

#21 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

The kids that were stopped -were not at the park. At any time. They walked to the park corner and walked back to my house. They were just walking off their supper. 

Albeit-much more so in European countries (hint hint--where my kids spent their young youth)

Sounds like the kids were guilty of more than just walking off their dinner like all the Europeans do....LOL!

#22 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

Sounds like the kids were guilty of more than just walking off their dinner like all the Europeans do....LOL!

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

You're always talking smack about me and my kids

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Supermom, which way was it?  In your first post you wrote, "teens who were walking on a sidewalk from a park they were leaving."  I guess it doesn't matter either way because it was more of a reasonable suspicion and detainment than probable cause and someone being arrested and taken into custody.  Were they kept for more than 20 minutes or so?

#24 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

You're always talking smack about me and my kids

I've never, ever said anything about your kids, except this vague reference above. Now you on the other hand.... 

#25 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Nope, but if there is a valid reason to believe there was a violent crime around the corner from my house- then I will encourage my kids to carry weapons. They have a right to do so, and to protect themselves.

When you are detained at threat of being shot- whether you are in handcuffs or not- that is arrest.---you dont believe me on that check out the law... It says so. 

fogging up the reality of it with your own idea of what you think is sensible doesn't make what the cops did legal. They dont have a right to stop you and even make contact with you without probable cause. It is absolutely not probable cause to stop every person they see on the street because  a witness saw teens do something ( at a park a block away)

I really hope that you never need help from our Folsom Police Department!!!!!!!!

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#26 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

WTF are you even talking about? Nobody said anything about kids getting arrested.  I thought we were talking about kids getting stopped and questioned?

"They don't have the right to... even make contact with you without probably cause"? That's insane!  They need some probably cause to detain you, but not to make "any contact".  They can ask you questions and ask you to stop without any probable cause.  You are free to ask if you are being detained and ignore their demands if not, but to say that it is illegal for them to even make contact in the first place is nucking futs.

And yes, they DO have probable cause to stop and question people nearby when a crime has been committed and you fit the description of the suspect.  A block away is not very far and is within a reasonable distance that I would expect people to be questioned.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#27 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Supermom, which way was it?  In your first post you wrote, "teens who were walking on a sidewalk from a park they were leaving."  I guess it doesn't matter either way because it was more of a reasonable suspicion and detainment than probable cause and someone being arrested and taken into custody.  Were they kept for more than 20 minutes or so?

The kids were stopped then "interviewed"- then had to wait 30 minutes for the cops to bring around a "witness".

and yeah, they were walking away from a park.  I have no idea if a crime even happened there. It could have been at someones house. Considering how long it took the cop to drive the "witness" over- it makes you wonder- right?

WTF are you even talking about? Nobody said anything about kids getting arrested.  I thought we were talking about kids getting stopped and questioned?

"They don't have the right to... even make contact with you without probably cause"? That's insane!  They need some probably cause to detain you, but not to make "any contact".  They can ask you questions and ask you to stop without any probable cause.  You are free to ask if you are being detained and ignore their demands if not, but to say that it is illegal for them to even make contact in the first place is nucking futs.

And yes, they DO have probable cause to stop and question people nearby when a crime has been committed and you fit the description of the suspect.  A block away is not very far and is within a reasonable distance that I would expect people to be questioned.

ur wrong. YOu dont know much about arrest powers.

for gin cops broke the law

I really hope that you never need help from our Folsom Police Department!!!!!!!!

Thats a rather pathetic response to a reason why a cop had a right to break the law. But ok, then. 

Glad to know how you feel.

#28 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

The kids were stopped then "interviewed"- then had to wait 30 minutes for the cops to bring around a "witness".

and yeah, they were walking away from a park.  I have no idea if a crime even happened there. It could have been at someones house. Considering how long it took the cop to drive the "witness" over- it makes you wonder- right?

It doesn't really make me wonder.  It doesn't sound like an unreasonable amount of time.  I had a neighbor that had to sit for a couple hours with the cops because his car matched the description of a vehicle they were looking for.  That sounded like an unreasonable amount of time.

Whether the crime happened in the park or at someone's house nearby is irrelevant.  The reason I brought up the park and the dusk rule is because that alone would give the police a reason to stop the teens.

ur wrong. YOu dont know much about arrest powers.

for gin cops broke the law

By your description, they didn't break any laws.  They didn't arrest anybody.  They simply detained them.

Thats a rather pathetic response to a reason why a cop had a right to break the law. But ok, then. 

Glad to know how you feel.

#29 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

yeah they walked there and they walked back. to the corner. its a tradition

#30 danholein1

danholein1

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

1) I am assuming you heard your side of the story from your teen(s) and their friends, correct?

2) They were let go and free to return home, correct?

3) How long were they gone on this traditional walk? Did you ever get concerned that they were gone longer than their traditional walk typically takes?

4) Did your teen(s) ever contact you during the incident?

5) Did your teen(s) get the names/badge numbers of any of the officers involved?

6) Have you filed a complaint with the FPD in addition to complaining about it on Myfolsom? If not, why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users