24 replies to this topic

#1 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

This place is very good. Good Chicago Dog and Fresh french fries.

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

4355 Town Center Blvd. #114
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
(916) 941-3647
http://www.ruffhaushotdogco.com/

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

I was thinking of giving them a try, until I read their online menu.

I find it hard to dine at an establishment that chooses to insult my taste preferences.

If they think ketchup doesn't belong on a hotdog, then I'll find somewhere else to get my hotdogs from. :D:
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

I find it hard to dine at an establishment that chooses to insult my taste preferences.

If they think ketchup doesn't belong on a hotdog, then I'll find somewhere else to get my hotdogs from. :D:

+1 Insulting ketchup and having the audacity to fill the menu with "turkey franks" is enough to frighten away an windy city alum!! ;)

Won't avoid on purpose, but exotic dogs will be tough to top a ball park grilled on a stick!!

#5 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:37 AM

Sorry Bill, "Nobody, but nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog anymore!" - "Dirty Harry" Callahan

Seriously you should try it, its a very good place.

#6 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

Then you're missing out, seriously.

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Then you're missing out, seriously.

I doubt it, with their attitude about ketchup, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use Heinz. But if they do, well, at least they have that going for them. but then I have to ask myself, how come they don't have polish sausage as one of the varieties of "weiners".

I've tried a lot of hotdogs, and if you keep the more exotic sausages out of the mix, IMO, the best is Oscar Mayer. I don't know what it is, but theirs really have a unique taste. I was raised on crap dogs, Lady Lee, they shrank when you cooked them. I've tried Caspers, Hebrew National, Armour, BallParks, Vienna Beef, BarS, and many others, and nothing is quite like an Oscar Mayer.

So for me, nothing has ever compared to an Oscar Mayer cooked at home, steamed bun, Heinz Ketchup, sweet relish, and regular mustard.

quick and easy way to steam a bun, wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for 15 seconds.

#8 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

I doubt it, with their attitude about ketchup, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use Heinz. But if they do, well, at least they have that going for them. but then I have to ask myself, how come they don't have polish sausage as one of the varieties of "weiners".

I've tried a lot of hotdogs, and if you keep the more exotic sausages out of the mix, IMO, the best is Oscar Mayer. I don't know what it is, but theirs really have a unique taste. I was raised on crap dogs, Lady Lee, they shrank when you cooked them. I've tried Caspers, Hebrew National, Armour, BallParks, Vienna Beef, BarS, and many others, and nothing is quite like an Oscar Mayer.

So for me, nothing has ever compared to an Oscar Mayer cooked at home, steamed bun, Heinz Ketchup, sweet relish, and regular mustard.

quick and easy way to steam a bun, wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for 15 seconds.

Bill, you obviously have simple tastes, which is good, for you. However everything is not always about you and your preferences, if this place made their base cheap dogs with ketchup, they'd be out of business in a week.

There are a lot of people who like higher grade gourmet foods and the Ruff Haus dogs are some of the best to be had. I hate to say but I have to disagree with you about Oscar Meyer dogs. The best dogs are Vienna and Nathan's (that's just my opinion of course and to be honest I don't eat hot dogs very much, only a few times a year)

If you don't like this place (before even going there) because of your bias for cheap dogs with ketchup only, then you should try their gyro's - they're really great! (that is, if you like Greek food at all...)
They have something for everyone, even you die hard ketchup only fans :D:

Redone and eVader are right, you're really missing out if you let lack of ketchup be the driving force that is keeping you away from there (hey, maybe bring your own ketchup packages with you if you ever go)

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Bill, you obviously have simple tastes, which is good, for you. However everything is not always about you and your preferences, if this place made their base cheap dogs with ketchup, they'd be out of business in a week.

There are a lot of people who like higher grade gourmet foods and the Ruff Haus dogs are some of the best to be had. I hate to say but I have to disagree with you about Oscar Meyer dogs. The best dogs are Vienna and Nathan's (that's just my opinion of course and to be honest I don't eat hot dogs very much, only a few times a year)

If you don't like this place (before even going there) because of your bias for cheap dogs with ketchup only, then you should try their gyro's - they're really great! (that is, if you like Greek food at all...)
They have something for everyone, even you die hard ketchup only fans :D:

Redone and eVader are right, you're really missing out if you let lack of ketchup be the driving force that is keeping you away from there (hey, maybe bring your own ketchup packages with you if you ever go)

It's their attitude on Ketchup that turns me off. If they didn't place those 3 little words (if you insist) after Ketchup in their online menu, I wouldn't have a problem going there.

I don't care if you or anyone think I'm being petty, I know I am. It's my money, I can choose to spend it where I want, when I want, for whatever crazy ridiculous reason I choose. In this instance, it's three little words that imply I'm ruining their dogs by insisting I want Ketchup on it.

Urban Dog & Sausage doesn't openly insult my dog eating preference, so I can go there if I want to go out for a hotdog. But even there, I find Oscar Mayer weiners at home taste better to me than their Vienna Beef dogs do. The only time I don't put Ketchup on a dog, is when it is a chili-cheese dog. And that is when I prefer the link to be a hotlink.

I'm not telling anyone else they shouldn't go, if you and eVader want to go there, go ahead, I hope you enjoy it, I hope the place prospers. Whether I go there or not, their success won't be as a result of me, cuz even if I was to go there, I would never be a regular as they aren't in Folsom. I prefer to dine in Folsom, it takes less time to drive there, which costs less in gas to go there, and it keeps my dollars local.

#10 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

Does anyone know what kind of dog Sam Horne's uses? Because that is my preferred type of hot dog. (I guess I should just call them and ask)

#11 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

It's their attitude on Ketchup that turns me off. If they didn't place those 3 little words (if you insist) after Ketchup in their online menu, I wouldn't have a problem going there.

I don't care if you or anyone think I'm being petty, I know I am. It's my money, I can choose to spend it where I want, when I want, for whatever crazy ridiculous reason I choose. In this instance, it's three little words that imply I'm ruining their dogs by insisting I want Ketchup on it.

Urban Dog & Sausage doesn't openly insult my dog eating preference, so I can go there if I want to go out for a hotdog. But even there, I find Oscar Mayer weiners at home taste better to me than their Vienna Beef dogs do. The only time I don't put Ketchup on a dog, is when it is a chili-cheese dog. And that is when I prefer the link to be a hotlink.

Bill, you're being totally anal about this, the note about no ketchup is a tongue in cheek joke that compares gourmet tastes (lots of flavors) with simple tastes (ketchup only). I'm sorry you're insulted that ketchup is considered unsophisticated for most gourmet palates but that's exactly what it is, and that's why they don't serve it there. They're not going after the Oscar Meyer crowd, they're aiming higher.

Its like asking for ketchup at a French restaurant... you just don't do it.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Bill, you're being totally anal about this, the note about no ketchup is a tongue in cheek joke that compares gourmet tastes (lots of flavors) with simple tastes (ketchup only). I'm sorry you're insulted that ketchup is considered unsophisticated for most gourmet palates but that's exactly what it is, and that's why they don't serve it there. They're not going after the Oscar Meyer crowd, they're aiming higher.

Its like asking for ketchup at a French restaurant... you just don't do it.

It' my money and I have every right to be as anal as I want on where and how I spend it.
That's my real point.

But calling a hotdog joint gourmet is a laughing matter all by itself. :lol:
See ya at the roach coach :wave2:

#13 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

in my mind the best hot dog is at costco, and I note they don't even offer catsup, making them a high class establishment as well....the price is more than right too.

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

in my mind the best hot dog is at costco, and I note they don't even offer catsup, making them a high class establishment as well....the price is more than right too.

That's funny, last time I had a polish dog there, they still had ketchup, mustard, relish and chopped onions over in the self serve condiment row.

#15 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

the note about no ketchup is a tongue in cheek joke

That's the way I read it also.

Bill, you crack me up. You sound just like my father.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users