#31 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi Folsom market,

I have a couple of suggestions.

More vendors
A variety of vendors, not just one berry vendor, one stone fruit vendor, one veggie vendor........
Vendors with produce that isn't wilted
Vendors who are committed to the market & don't appear to be leaving (only one basket of berries displayed) at 8 30 am

How about checking out some of the more successful markets closely to find out their formulas for success - I highly recommend El Dorado Hills (same time), Carmichale (same time) & Fair Oaks on Wednesday nights

let us know when things change & I will come back then

#32 folsom market

folsom market

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Part of the issue with more vendors selling the same thing is the income one would have made gets split among two , or three . At the start of this market we had more vendors and they dropped because of the lack of people . We could easily have four people selling stone fruit but if they make no money they wont come back . But I greatly appreciate the idea as great ideas are always welcome and taken to heart . Many of the big markets have been around in the same spot for twenty years . Or they are in a very good location ,like the E.D.H shopping center . Huge customer base . But we are working on it .

Hi Folsom market,

I have a couple of suggestions.

More vendors
A variety of vendors, not just one berry vendor, one stone fruit vendor, one veggie vendor........
Vendors with produce that isn't wilted
Vendors who are committed to the market & don't appear to be leaving (only one basket of berries displayed) at 8 30 am

How about checking out some of the more successful markets closely to find out their formulas for success - I highly recommend El Dorado Hills (same time), Carmichale (same time) & Fair Oaks on Wednesday nights

let us know when things change & I will come back then

#33 folsom market

folsom market

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hmm the berries . I believe they were "wilting "so they put one out for people to try or see basically . Its tough because you want to fill the table . Only time someone leaves early is when they sell out . This used to happen once a month to some vendors . Not as much of an issue lately . I think the communication is great though . Enjoy the other markets as well . As long as they are supporting AG i'm all for them .

#34 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Part of the issue with more vendors selling the same thing is the income one would have made gets split among two , or three . At the start of this market we had more vendors and they dropped because of the lack of people . We could easily have four people selling stone fruit but if they make no money they wont come back . But I greatly appreciate the idea as great ideas are always welcome and taken to heart . Many of the big markets have been around in the same spot for twenty years . Or they are in a very good location ,like the E.D.H shopping center . Huge customer base . But we are working on it .

gosh, it must be hard to do what you do. especially figure out the market base. I'm just wondering if having a few more vendors (even if they duplicate some produce) wouldn't bring more people to the market, so even though there may be two people selling stone fruit, you would end up selling more because more people would come. I would also be more likely to buy on a Saturday morning. I often drive up to Auburn on Saturday morning to buy there, and I would definately go to Folsom instead of it was here.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#35 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think it's sad that the Folsom Market for whatever reason, isn't willing or able to have the type of market that would keep Folsomites in Folsom, but encourages us to shop elsewhere. I don't get it. I would much prefer to have a 5 minute drive to a Folsom FM than driving to another town. But it appears that I have no other choice. :(

BTW, the Santa Maria strawberries at the Fair Oaks FM last week were awesome!!

#36 folsom market

folsom market

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

So I was at the Folsom market today . It wasn't as hot which helped business it seems . It was great seeing some old friends who have been coming to the market since it was almost gone six years ago . They seemed very happy that the market was there and had some great ideas that supported growth as well as being well thought out . We did have one vendor missing due to a birth :) As well as one missing because the heat killed some of his crop . We had a vendor return that till now didn't have another driver . He was here last year , Perez' Red Shack . Every vendor I talked with was happy . Hope the nice weather holds up .

#37 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

So I was at the Folsom market today . It wasn't as hot which helped business it seems . It was great seeing some old friends who have been coming to the market since it was almost gone six years ago . They seemed very happy that the market was there and had some great ideas that supported growth as well as being well thought out . We did have one vendor missing due to a birth :) As well as one missing because the heat killed some of his crop . We had a vendor return that till now didn't have another driver . He was here last year , Perez' Red Shack . Every vendor I talked with was happy . Hope the nice weather holds up .

cool! yes, I hope its nice next weekend too. I'll be back! thanks for making the effort and reaching out to us!

#38 folsom market

folsom market

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Also as I was talking to people who have been coming to this market as well as others in the area for years . They thought it wasn't the best location . Which is something we have realized for a while . Many people who walked through today kept going . Not because they didn't find anything . But because they were full from breakfast. I asked so that's why I know . I'm a very outgoing person so I tend to start a conversation with everyone that walks by . I know that when my wife took the market over six years ago it was down to three vendors because the word had gotten out to the farmers that it was a slow market . We have had around twenty five farmers at one point . Multiples of many things . We have coupons . Today I think I received 22 , 2 dollar off coupons . We have signs all over the Folsom area . One posted on Prairie city and one posted on Bidwell and I believe one near Bigg's Ranch that stay the whole season . We also advertise in the paper as well as Facebook and on our ranch's website. The one gentleman I was talking with today thought maybe a flash mob type of thing might help ? Like I said .We are willing to do lots of stuff . And have always been willing to look at different ideas . Its why the market has moved three times in the last four years . I did hear from one lady that she didn't realize we had moved from the street . Lucky for me I put up a sign on the street pointing our way and she saw it . We appreciate all the positive ideas .

#39 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yes, but why is it then that every other market is able to have more vendors selling the same product?

So the excuses I'm hearing are....
there are less vendors because of lack of customers
other markets have a very good location
other markets have been in the same spot for 20 years
other markets have a huge customer base

Well, for starters... you are shooting yourselves in the foot with 1 vendor/product, along with one high price. People will come once to check it out, then won't be back.

Edit: I do believe that you are correct when you say Folsom has a reputation for being a SLOW market.

Good luck with the advertising gimmicks. I'll be back when their are more vendors/product.

#40 folsom market

folsom market

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Not every other market is successful . In the last year three have folded that those same other markets manage , Intel ,Biggs ranch and another one never got started. A bunch more of the same size as ours have popped up as well . We actually do have more than one vendor selling the same thing . I just know it hurts the farmers pocket book . Usually two stone fruit vendors , two berry vendors at least . I believe I saw two strawberry vendors today . And usually three vegetable vendors . What I mean by not having more of the same is we add them . They don't make enough money and they leave . I'm not meaning to make excuses at all . I am simply stating facts . As for price .I will be looking at that . Easy enough for me to talk to the farmers as they sell at all those markets as well .But like I said the feedback helps .

#41 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

What I hear you saying is not every other market in FOLSOM is successful. Can Folsom really support 5 small FM's? Or perhaps it would be better to have 1 or 2 larger markets in Folsom. I'm not even sure Folsom can support more than 1 farmers market. I'm sure you are aware that there are many successful markets in the Sacto region. Don't the farmers market or organic farmer's associations that sponsor farmers markets help in anyway to help a newer or revitalized market become successful?

I still don't understand why the other markets are successful with multiple vendors saleing the same products. It almost sounds to me that this isn't the real reason why multiple vendors doesn't work in Folsom. The other thing, most people aren't going to pay FM prices for produce that can be purchased at the local market for significantly cheaper. It doesn't matter how organic or how local it is. When you have limited vendors, there is no incentive for the vendor to post a reasonable price for their products. People in Folsom aren't stupid. They aren't going to pay top dollar plus. When I go to the FM, I scope out the whole market, noting the prices & quality of the product (& comparing them to the prices back at the grocery store). Then I go back for my purchases. Sometimes, I just keep walking because the selection is of poor quality or the prices are too high. Of course I'd rather have fresh, local produce, but not if it's going to break my piggybank.

The EDH market is fairly new. I think one of the things that adds to their success (though IMO it makes it sort of flea market-ish) is the addition of non-produce vendors...they have gifts, paintings, jewelry, t-shirts, hand lotion/cleaner, food..lots of food....without these vendors their market would be half the size. Plus, the entire street from Bistro 33 up all the way almost to the theater is closed for the market. It is a beautiful location, and I like it that I can stop at any of the 3 different coffee shops close by, and the bookstore after I visit the market.

Can't the sunday Folsom market be moved to a more desirable location? Or a different location in old town with trees? Even just over a block under the trees at the light rail station would be an improvement. If not, why? Can't anything be done to change this?

#42 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

But this is the place we were moved to . Think that's four moves in six years , just saying . This market is run by actual farmers . We have always wanted fresh and local . That's what my daughter gets . We believe in supporting the community and working with it when something isn't working . I know that the market manager is at this market every Sunday ,or Saturday from when it opens till when it closes . if you have questions , concerns ,or just a friendly smile seek her out . She grew up on a farm and has been around agriculture her whole life . She actually was voted agriculture advocate of the year last year for el Dorado county .

After re-reading the posts, I think I've identified the problem. The Folsom market is run by actual farmers who want to control the market, by limiting competition and charging high prices.

The farmers need to hand over control to a non-biased party/organization, and maybe the market will thrive again.

#43 folsom market

folsom market

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

I will pass that along :). We used to be on Sutter street which had more shade , people walking down to do other things and was easily seen . I think that is one huge part of it . Its why we spend so much on advertising .
As far as the multiple markets . We had noticed about two years ago people seemed to think managing a market was a money making process . Its really not . We do it solely to bring local produce to the consumer . Its why so many little ones have failed . They all of a sudden realize they aren't going to become rich . As far as non profits supporting the market . We basically loose money on this market to keep the produce coming to you guys . I believe in advertising alone we have spent something like 37,000. since we have been at Sutter . We actually are applying for grants which would give us a lot of money to spend in your community .

As far as non/biased third party . Its actually got to be a non-profit . Pretty much every very successful market , ie under the freeway downtown , in Marin , or in San Francisco is run by an organization like farm trails . Usually what happens when a non biased group gets involved , it turns into a flea market . I can tell you for a fact that the EDH one is a farmer and the one in sac used to be a farmer as well before he got to busy . I still don't see the high prices . I'll say it again since you seemed to miss it the first time . We have more than one of each type of vendor .I actually took pictures and posted them on the FB web sight for the market since it was such a nice day . I counted four vegetable vendors . We have brought 13 additionally vendors this year who left because they didn't make enough money . Not because they charged to much . But because the attendance is low . If you talk with other market managers in the area they would tell you this is not the best location . I have actually talked to other people in this area who understand the issues and agree that the area is a tough sell . These are the same people who have been coming for years . So they have seen the market grow and then shrink . Now we are trying to get it back on its feet . We are working with the historic district as well as other organizations . I realize we cant make every one happy . And that's were I'm going to leave this until I have more to contribute that's positive as its seems this post has become very negative . Will let you know what I find on prices . What they are , were they farmer is coming from , weather its first or seconds , and weather its organic . Have a great week and I will be forwarding the ideas onto some people who can look at the location .

#44 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

It looks like CFM (california certified market) that sponsors or runs the Folsom market is the same organization that sponsors the market in Visalia, my home town. http://www.cafarmersmarkets.com/index.cfm

I think I've mentioned before on another FM topic that the Visalia market rocks. http://www.visaliafarmersmarket.com/
Not only do they have a yearlong market in the local mall parking lot, but they also have a summertime evening market in downtown, on a side street that is blocked off. They are fully supported by the Visalia Downtown Association and City of Commerce.

Some of the things they have that I haven't seen here, are an egg vendor, a lettuce vendor (many of the local restaurants buy from them...they have a huge variety of different types of lettuce, plus the absolute best dark, green leafy veggies), 7-8 veggie vendors, 5-6 fruit vendors, an apple farm vendor.....granted Visalia population is slightly larger than Folsom at just over 100K, but it's a rural community, not a suburb. Folsom would draw from other towns, IF they find the right formula. If Fair Oaks, Carmichael, EDH can do it, Folsom can too.

We've had other discussions here on myfolsom about the Folsom market, and there were lots of positive ideas there. Perhaps someone can find the link and post it for you.
Edit: http://www.tomatopages.com/folsomforum/index.php?showtopic=37248&hl=%20farmers%20%20market%20%20&st=0

I think we all want the market to succeed. It just get frustrating when nothing changes despite giving lots of feedback.

#45 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Folsom Market, could you find someone with eggs? I would come every week for that! Eggs and good bread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users