18 replies to this topic

#16 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

I do miss the discussion of local politics.  This site seemed to be the only place I found out what was really going on around the city and in city hall.

And speaking of site changes... am I the only one that still doesn't have spell check working when replying to a topic or is it a site/forum problem? Drives me nuts...

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#17 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for that. I think the decline in participation (posting) is due to 2 primary factors: First, the advent of Facebook and other social media. Many people started using those formats to discuss issues of the day.

Second, the bickering. Everything from race, religion and politics were being discussed, but a lot of insults were hurled and it drove people away. 

Today, I think people are ready to come back because they've found that Facebook may be better suited for keeping in touch rather than discussing issues, and because the political section is no longer front page. 

I check the forum usage during various times during the day, right now it says that there have been 135 users online (9 members) in the last 30 minutes. Google analytics says we got about 12,000 visitors in the last 30 days, so I know people are coming to the site.

Most, however, are reading instead of posting, and as we get more topics going, we may see more that strike chords with various people.

As far as promoting the site, I am working with folks at some of the local publications to enhance what each of us do, and I post on the myfolsom Facebook page as well. One story I did, about the heroin deaths in town, got over 10,000 views and 3400 clicks. 

So again, people are seeing us. I'd like to get more of them participating.

Well that's encouraging then.  It's good to know that you are getting a lot of views.  All you/we can do is try to introduce new threads by offering interesting takes that lead to discussion.  I just don't know how many such new threads can be added each week.  I am racking my brain trying to think of what I could add, drawn from my weekly experience of living here in Folsom, without resorting to purely personal stuff.  I really don't know what to write.

I don't actually care if there is any political/social discussion at all on this site, unless it pertains to Folsom directly.  For me, the site is not about discussing things in general with other Folsomites, although I did once view the site that way.  It's about all things Folsom.  However, that approach limits the number of new topics.

#18 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

I do miss the discussion of local politics.  This site seemed to be the only place I found out what was really going on around the city and in city hall.

And speaking of site changes... am I the only one that still doesn't have spell check working when replying to a topic or is it a site/forum problem? Drives me nuts...

Woohoo! I don't know if a recent site update fixed this or Firefox 29 fixed it, but spell check is working again!  Happy Days.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#19 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Good job, Steve - - keep up the good work.

Yeah, we could prolly use some civility in the politics section.

"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users