29 replies to this topic

#16 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Sorry to hear about that, EAH. Let's hope the security tapes help catch the crook.

I almost warned an elderly woman I saw at Raley's this week who left her purse in her cart. She not only turned her back on the cart but went down a whole other aisle and left it completely out of her sight. I guess I should have said something, but sometimes people don't want unsolicited advice.

#17 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

Sorry to hear about that, EAH. Let's hope the security tapes help catch the crook.

I almost warned an elderly woman I saw at Raley's this week who left her purse in her cart. She not only turned her back on the cart but went down a whole other aisle and left it completely out of her sight. I guess I should have said something, but sometimes people don't want unsolicited advice.

She might have appreciated your concern. If she responded negatively, that would be on her and you could still feel good about trying to do the right thing.

I often speak up when I see children standing in carts, leaning over the sides of carts, and sitting or pulling on the sides of carts. I've seen children tip carts over and it isn't a pretty sight. I am amazed at how many parents allow their children to use carts like playground equipment. Some thank me when I point out the danger in what their children are doing; some ignore me or snap at me, but at least the children hear from someone that what they are doing is dangerous. I wonder how many cracked skulls I've prevented.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#18 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Seriously makes you wonder about people who would be offended by the warning. I would have thanked you for watching out for me! I am always amazed at people who get offended when asked to present picture I.D. for a credit card purchase...I always make sure to thank the clerk for ASKING for my I.D.

Okay, that's my second bizarre coinky-dink of the day! :lmaosmiley:

Well now, Deb, that just begs the question?????

#19 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

Seriously makes you wonder about people who would be offended by the warning. I would have thanked you for watching out for me! I am always amazed at people who get offended when asked to present picture I.D. for a credit card purchase...I always make sure to thank the clerk for ASKING for my I.D.

You and Deb B are absolutely right. I missed an opportunity and should have just warned her. It's just sometimes when you offer to help older people they take it as an affront to their independence. I'll be there soon enough myself (hopefully) and I hope I remember this when someone tries to help me out.

#20 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I just got off the phone with the assistant manager of Whole Foods Roseville . He said they are still reviewing the video of today. He said they did notice a suspicious group of people who came in together but split up- a woman and 2 men. None of them had a cart, which is something security looks at as a warning sign. Easy to grab and dash that way.
The assistant also mentioned that they did arrest a woman a couple of months ago who had stolen a customers wallet in the store, with the custmers purse in the cart right BESIDE THE CUSTOMERS 3 YEAR OLD SON. Just reached in and grabbed it with the son right there......they caught the woman when she came back in 3 days later with the customers wallet and tried to go through the checkout line.
She is currently residing in jail.

#21 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Well now, Deb, that just begs the question?????

Dave came over yesterday to help me set up my MyFolsom ad. We got to chatting about my daughter's wedding and various vendors we used. He told me he has a cousin in the Chicago area who does wedding films and then he got online and called up the site. There was a photo of his cousin. Cool beans, cool site.

Today I was chatting online with my cousin who is a photographer in the Chicago area. He is in the process of changing or updating his website, so when we got off Facebook I went to his site and whose picture is right there on the front page? Dave's cousin -- the photo his cousin is using on his website. :lmaosmiley:

Now I ask you, is that bizarre or what?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#22 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Dave came over yesterday to help me set up my MyFolsom ad. We got to chatting about my daughter's wedding and various vendors we used. He told me he has a cousin in the Chicago area who does wedding films and then he got online and called up the site. There was a photo of his cousin. Cool beans, cool site.

Today I was chatting online with my cousin who is a photographer in the Chicago area. He is in the process of changing or updating his website, so when we got off Facebook I went to his site and whose picture is right there on the front page? Dave's cousin -- the photo his cousin is using on his website. :lmaosmiley:

Now I ask you, is that bizarre or what?

The universe is speaking to you...GO BUY A LOTTO TICKET!

#23 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

The universe is speaking to you...GO BUY A LOTTO TICKET!

OOooooooooooooooooooooh, I like the way you think!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#24 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

I am regularly amazed how thieves seem to lurk virtually EVERYWHERE. If someone leaves a purse in car in a parking lot, it's gone within 15 minutes. Just the sheer odds of a thief noticing the purse that quickly would make you think it couldn't happen, and yet it so often does that it blows my mind. It's like there are literally thieves monitoring every parking lot 24/7. It's mind-boggling how much criminality there is out there. All you can do is never, ever, not even once, slip up and leave something behind in a locked car, or it will be gone 9 times out of 10. At least, that's what it seems like.

But, as bad as it is, that's not all. This theft happened to you in a Whole Foods Market. So it's as if thieves are EVERYWHERE, just ready for any opportunity that presents itself in the blink of an eye. In your case, it seems that three people went into Whole Foods looking to steal from people.

I wonder how many individuals are "in the gray zone", and don't go out looking to steal, but will do so if presented with an opportunity? I bet many thefts happen this way, too. It's like a purse on the seat of a locked car turns some people into thieves, because they are morally weak to start with.

When the thieves are not caught, they are a mysterious, faceless force. But once you see their mugshots, or see them on surveillance footage, then they are usually pitiful looking, with that certain "no fear, no future" air about them.

Theft... next to DUI, that seems to fill the Folsom police blotter more than anything else. This has been a good reminder to take extra precautions.

#25 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Actually, while picking up my godson from swim practice about 5 years ago (in South Sac/ land park area), I left my purse in my locked car, under the seat. I walked to the front of the building, peeked my head in, got his attention, and walked back to my car in less than 5 minutes all the while parents were pulling in and out of the parking lot with their kids. I heard nothing. No sound of shattered glass....nothing. I came back to a shattered passenger side window and no purse. The car parked right next to my passenger side had a shattered driver window and her purse was also missing. Now my purse was NOT visable so the person who did it HAD to have seen me get out of the car without my purse. Seriously... with people coming and going the whole time???? How could someone NOT see something??
I guess with the economy being what it is, people are getting bolder.

#26 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

Actually, while picking up my godson from swim practice about 5 years ago (in South Sac/ land park area), I left my purse in my locked car, under the seat. I walked to the front of the building, peeked my head in, got his attention, and walked back to my car in less than 5 minutes all the while parents were pulling in and out of the parking lot with their kids. I heard nothing. No sound of shattered glass....nothing. I came back to a shattered passenger side window and no purse. The car parked right next to my passenger side had a shattered driver window and her purse was also missing. Now my purse was NOT visable so the person who did it HAD to have seen me get out of the car without my purse. Seriously... with people coming and going the whole time???? How could someone NOT see something??
I guess with the economy being what it is, people are getting bolder.

the morale if this story is if you are going to leave your purse visible in your old car, don't park next to a car which also has a visible purse.

#27 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

So sorry to hear about what happened to you, EAH. That's just incredibly awful!

I went to Whole Foods last night, a few hours after I read your post. There was a lot of people in the store, still, at 9 pm. I actually got all the way home before I realized that the bagger did not give me all my groceries....and I was really looking forward to my fresh mozerella, basil & heirloom tomatoes...but no basil came home with me. I know that's nothing compared to what happened to you. I only include it because I think the staff is so busy & preoccupied that they just don't see everything that goes on.

It hope you get some resolution to this soon.

#28 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Seriously makes you wonder about people who would be offended by the warning.

I have to speak up for some people who reject a stranger's "helpful comments." A lot of people have childhood trauma around this & react in ways, that seem totally unacceptable, or understandable, to the person with good intentions such as yourselves. So, please keep that in mind when you encounter this situation. There is frequently more going on than meets the eye.

#29 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

I have to speak up for some people who reject a stranger's "helpful comments." A lot of people have childhood trauma around this & react in ways, that seem totally unacceptable, or understandable, to the person with good intentions such as yourselves. So, please keep that in mind when you encounter this situation. There is frequently more going on than meets the eye.

Some people have childhood trauma about "around this" ..... I don't understand what you're saying. Some people have childhood trauma around others pointing out that something they are doing is unsafe? I so don't understand -- please clarify.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#30 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

Some people have childhood trauma about "around this" ..... I don't understand what you're saying. Some people have childhood trauma around others pointing out that something they are doing is unsafe? I so don't understand -- please clarify.

Around unsolicited advice from strangers or family...And they response more strongly to someone who reminds them of the original abuser. The origin of the trauma can be from being told over & over that they are no good, they are stupid, they can't think for themselves, everything they do is wrong, etc, etc. It could be verbal abuse (trauma) or it could be combined with physical or sexual abuse. They come to believe that they are defective. And they may react, to what looks to the average person, inappropriately.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users