#31 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(benning @ Jan 14 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post
I'm wondering how many of the people quick to judge the teens and the teen's parents and the teen's car actually have teens of their own. I would suspect that not too many do...
True, but I was once a teen. Also, I know SO many parents who think their kids do no wrong, then you look at their myspace page and it's all about sex, drugs, drinking, etc. I think many parents these days don't know how to be parents and they are living in a dream world. Teenagers are NOT to be trusted. As a PP stated, their brains aren't fully developed. I can guarantee, I will not be the parent who thinks my child is perfect. I don't even think that now.

#32 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(LexHillsmom @ Jan 14 2007, 04:53 PM) View Post
My son's best friend was a witness to the accident and the first to get to the woman's car. Sadly, he saw something he will never be able to forget.

How horrible for your son's friend. Sad he'll have to live with that.

#33 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Jan 14 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post
True, but I was once a teen. Also, I know SO many parents who think their kids do no wrong, then you look at their myspace page and it's all about sex, drugs, drinking, etc. I think many parents these days don't know how to be parents and they are living in a dream world. Teenagers are NOT to be trusted. As a PP stated, their brains aren't fully developed. I can guarantee, I will not be the parent who thinks my child is perfect. I don't even think that now.

Benning probably thinks that since her teenagers will drink anyway, it is better that they invite their friends to her house, where she can supervise their drinking. Denial, it's more than just a river.

#34 iJason

iJason

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(LexHillsmom @ Jan 14 2007, 02:51 PM) View Post
Another reason the legal driving age limit should be uped to 18

How does making parents more responsible sound? If you don't think your kid is ready to drive or will speed, don't let them. It isn't that hard. Not trying to take away from the tragic nature of this story, but not all 16-year olds are bad drivers.

#35 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(granto @ Jan 14 2007, 05:29 PM) View Post
Benning probably thinks that since her teenagers will drink anyway, it is better that they invite their friends to her house, where she can supervise their drinking. Denial, it's more than just a river.

?
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#36 LexHillsmom

LexHillsmom

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(iJason @ Jan 14 2007, 06:05 PM) View Post
How does making parents more responsible sound? If you don't think your kid is ready to drive or will speed, don't let them. It isn't that hard. Not trying to take away from the tragic nature of this story, but not all 16-year olds are bad drivers.

I agree with you in theory...parents should know their kids and if they show any inkling of poor judgement in the form of speeding tickets or multiple fender benders they need to get tough and take away the keys.

I agree, not all 16 year olds are bad drivers but I still don't think it is a bad idea to up the legal driving age.

#37 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(LexHillsmom @ Jan 14 2007, 04:53 PM) View Post
My son's best friend was a witness to the accident and the first to get to the woman's car. Sadly, he saw something he will never be able to forget.

He's 17 also so it is a huge lesson for him as to what can and does happen when driving irresponsibly. He told our son the two boys that were involved seemed only concerned about their own butts....one was heard saying "I wasn't speeding"...

Sorry to hear that. That's something that no one should ever have to witness.

That would affect a lot of people in different ways. I hope he's doing alright.

It also goes to show there are a lot of ancillary victims to this.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#38 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(granto @ Jan 14 2007, 11:14 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Jaxx @ Jan 14 2007, 10:40 AM) View Post
Well, the parents gave their 17 year-old boys Dodge Stealth's and BMW's to play with and this is what happens.

/quote]
Even better was the mother of one on TV stating that her kid was innocent that he never speeds, and we need to wait for the investigation to see what really happened. Yet witnesses all say the cars were speeding.

Honestly, what would you expect a mother to say? Whether you believe what you are telling the "news media" or not, you are not going to say on camera that your son speeds all the time and that you told him not to! Can't you just see that being brought up in court?

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#39 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(LexHillsmom @ Jan 14 2007, 02:51 PM) View Post
Another reason the legal driving age limit should be uped to 18

Punishing all those under 18 for what some do is wrong. Sixteen years olds are quite capable of driving safely. I have had 3 teenage drivers. They have driven safely and continue to do so.

All age groups and genders have people who don't take driving seriously and speed, or race or are just plain stupid. Unless there is no driving allowed, senseless accidents will continue.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#40 LadyGreenEyes

LadyGreenEyes

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

Did any of you see the news report at 5pm this evening where they were interviewing the victims husband? That poor man was heartbroken. Just think how hard it would be to lose your spouse or a loved one from something as senseless as some GD punk street racing. It's bad enough to lose a loved one due to natural causes, but when they are taken due to something like that, I can't imagine how horrible that would be.

I really wish they would hang the punk that slammed into her car. I know it sounds cold, but I don't care. That dumb kid knew he was speeding, it's lack of common sense with these damn teens that cause so many problems. If he had hit her and had not been speeding, I would not be so harsh...it would have been an unfortunate accident The kid was driving around 90mph, he deserves the death penalty. I don't care one bit if he's only 17. The problem is, these stupid parents hand their teen a sports car and the kids have NO common sense. Their only concern is showing others how fast their car can go, all the while having no concern at all of who or what they may destroy while on their "joyride" That kid destroyed a family and yet since he's only 17 he'll probably serve a few years and be out. It makes me sick. I think I posted something last week about teens being handed sports cars. I will never understand it, the kid proved last night he wasn't mature enough to be behind the wheel of any car. I don't feel sorry for his mom one bit. As far as I'm concerned, she just as much to blame as her son. It's just so sad some innocent person had to lose their life. My heart goes out to her family.

#41 LadyGreenEyes

LadyGreenEyes

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(M.E.G. @ Jan 14 2007, 07:49 PM) View Post
Punishing all those under 18 for what some do is wrong. Sixteen years olds are quite capable of driving safely. I have had 3 teenage drivers. They have driven safely and continue to do so.

All age groups and genders have people who don't take driving seriously and speed, or race or are just plain stupid. Unless there is no driving allowed, senseless accidents will continue.

M.E.G.

I know they will never raise the age to 18 as to where you can get a drivers license. I'm sure it's true, that there are some teens that are very responsible behind the wheel at 16. What they should do is make is harder for a teen to get his license. If the kid gets A's & B's in high school, then he should be able to get a license at 16. Any grades lower than that, make them wait until they're 18. Toss in drug testing too.

#42 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

It appears my last post was too offensive, maybe that's why it was removed? MyFolsom.com gods......do you have a comment?

Maybe there should be a type of vehicle that kids under 18 should only be able to drive. Maybe a 4 cylinder putter with less than 100hp? Some type of vehicle restriction?

No kid, I don't care who it is, should be driving a BMW or a Dodge Stealth. Both cars have a little extra under the hood, and there's nothing good a kid can do while driving them.

Maybe federally mandated governors on the cars????? It would be worth a shot?

#43 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ Jan 14 2007, 09:25 PM) View Post
It appears my last post was too offensive, maybe that's why it was removed? MyFolsom.com gods......do you have a comment?

Maybe there should be a type of vehicle that kids under 18 should only be able to drive. Maybe a 4 cylinder putter with less than 100hp? Some type of vehicle restriction?

No kid, I don't care who it is, should be driving a BMW or a Dodge Stealth. Both cars have a little extra under the hood, and there's nothing good a kid can do while driving them.

Maybe federally mandated governors on the cars????? It would be worth a shot?

Maybe punishements need to start fitting the crime. This kid KILLED someone. Not saying that the death penalty should be used in a case like this... but a decent amount of time in jail is needed. Once these irresponsible kids start to realize there is an actual punishment in these types of cases... they will start to drive a little more safely behind the wheel. No more 90 days in jail... or just probation. Judges need to start throwing the book at these kids.

#44 truth.com

truth.com

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

mike....go to bed!!

#45 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

Anyone just see the Channel 58 story on the fatality? Sad deal. Here's an idea we can get from the Middle Eastern people........Once the suspect is deemed guilty, that person is then turned over to the family so they can deal out punishment???

Once again, like I have said in my previous posts......I have participated in the Every 15 Minutes program at FHS the last few years, and it NEVER seems to make an impact with the kids. These kids were not drinking, but speed kills all the same.

I do feel bad about the young teenager that arrived at the scene first, but take in account that is what the Police and Fire Departments see day in and day out. If there was a way we could put into words the feeling of walking up to a wrecked vehicle to see what you have to work with, we would. We can't. You will never know the feeling until it's you looking through that broken window........

And now....I'm going to bed. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users