Ticketed For Throwing Cigarette Out Car

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

A friend's daughter was recently ticketed for throwing a burning cigarette out of her car window as she was going over the Lake Natoma Crossing/Bridge. She is required to go to court to deal with it.

Is anyone familiar with the regulation related to this? Throwing a ignited object out of a car?

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

I don't know the exact code, but having seen fires started by this careless behavior I agree with it being enforced.

#3 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

A friend's daughter was recently ticketed for throwing a burning cigarette out of her car window as she was going over the Lake Natoma Crossing/Bridge. She is required to go to court to deal with it.

Is anyone familiar with the regulation related to this? Throwing a ignited object out of a car?

No offense but I hope it's a very expensive ticket to teach her a lesson. I think it's ridiculous that people throw trash out of their cars, especially lit cigarettes that could set the area on fire.

How damn hard is it to put the cigarette out in the freakin' ashtray that comes with the car? Why do people think they can throw their trash out their car windows and think that's ok? I absolutely hate it when people throw trash out of their cars - IMO they're no better then a filthy pig when they do that.

I say don't smoke if you can't manage to keep your trash to yourself, we don't want to have to wallow in the trash these pigs throw out of the car.

Sorry, as you can tell, this is a serious pet peeve of mine. I wanna catch the punk kids who keep throwing their fast food trash bags and cups out on one of my local streets. I hate people who live like pigs and expect others to accept it.

It's disgusting to see used cigerette butts on the streets.

#4 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

I don't know the regulations, but I'm curious to find out how this comes out. I HATE people who throw trash out of their cars, and a lit cigarette is one of the worst things you can throw. It really steams me how many smokers (no offense to the smokers on the board who don't do this) see no problem with tossing their cigarette butts or stomping them and leaving them wherever. It's LITTERING. There's a reason littering is illegal.

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

What ^ they said!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 folsom3

folsom3

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

I just went to a safety presentation by CHP and the officer told the crowd that it's illegal to throw cigarettes out of the car. It's also illegal to ash outside of the car! He said there are only two things that are legal- I think it's water and chicken feathers?!

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

Ignited or not it is still considered littering. Being lit probably adds another charge on top of the obvious littering. Good to see cops are actually giving tickets for this.

#8 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Litter is litter... huge pet peeve of mine. I don't understand how smokers who discard their butts somehow feel that they don't count. Whuck?:wacko:

#9 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

+ 1,000

I hate litter bugs.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#10 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

+ 1,000

I hate litter bugs.

ditto and if nothing else, maybe she'll stop smoking...and littering.

#11 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

I totally agree with all of you.

Mom, would not have even known, if the court did not send notice to their home. The daughter was planning to save up the $100 fine, and pay without mom's knowledge. She has been able to "hide" her smoking habit from mom. IMO, either mom has been in denial, or preoccupied to notice the tell-tale signs of a (teenage) smoker. How would you NOT notice the stale smell of cigs on clothing or breath? There ain't no gum, breath mint or perfume that covers that smell up!!

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

This is absolutely repulsive. As a motorcyclist I despise people who throw stuff out of their cars. I actually got burned from a lit cig once. Left a nice hole in my pants too.

#13 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

might even be an act of terrorism, starting a big fire..first of all smoking is bad, if you can't use cell phones they should also pass a law about smoking while driving as well

kudos to the brave cop who risked his life gathering up the evidence while cars were whizzing by.

#14 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

Wooohooo!!!! Great job FPD!!!

Hope stuff like this happens more. I hope the penalty is not just a fine but also community service helping to pick up this kind of crap.

#15 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

I hope the judge throws the book at her.

Why do so many smokers think the world is their ashtray?
I hate to stereotype, but smokers seem to be the biggest bunch of litterbugs. Even when ashtrays are present, I see smokers drop their butts, step on them to extinguish them and leave them on sidewalks, parking lots, streets, etc.
:cuss2: litterbugs

I only know of one smoker that field strips his cigarette butts to throw the filter and paper away when no ashtrays are available.

Field stripping: The act of removing the unburnt tobbacco and allowing that to go on the ground (biodegradable dried leaf material) and putting the unburnt paper and synthetic filter in your pocket to be thrown away when a trash receptacle is available.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users