22 replies to this topic

#1 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

I woke up just before 3:30, feeling the bed shaking gently, just for a few seconds. I thought maybe the dog had just jumped off it, but he was sleeping soundly on the floor.

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

We slept right through it, didn't feel a thing, but someone I know who lives in an apartment in downtown Sac was woken up by it.  

#3 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

I felt it strongly, because I spent last night at my Mom's house in the East Bay.  The room was shaking.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

it was only a 6 pointer and over an hour away. Can't believe anyone here actually felt That quake. 

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

it was only a 6 pointer and over an hour away. Can't believe anyone here actually felt That quake. 

They have upgraded it to 6.1.

I think it depends what type of quake and where you are.  I felt the Coalinga earthquake, and that's, what, almost 200 miles away.  I was in a multi-story building in downtown Sac back then and it swayed quite a bit.  

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Our son called us at 3:30 AM and told us about it. He felt it in San Ramon. We didn't feel it. Sound asleep at the time.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Very strange. I woke up at 3:30 this morning to something that sounded like a very loud, very squeeky hinge followed by a loud bang like a heavy book dropping from 4 feet or so. No evidence of anything broken or fallen.

In other Napa earthquake news... NOOOOOOO!

628x471.jpg

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#8 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I thought there was a sound with it too. But then I wasn't sure if I imagined that...

#9 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

On the news this morning, a lot of people said that this one had sound.  Something NEW???

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#10 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Is it sound that birds and dogs and other animals hear just before we feel earthquakes? If not, then what are they sensing that we're not?

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

I have a friend who lives 1.5 miles north of St. Helena.  Has a b&b there.  He said it woke him up with the halls swaying about 12 inches each way and he had to walk like a crab to stay upright.  Said it lasted for about 30 seconds.  He has no damage, but he is surrounded by wineries and they have reporting heavy damage from bottle and barrel breakage.

Very strange. I woke up at 3:30 this morning to something that sounded like a very loud, very squeeky hinge followed by a loud bang like a heavy book dropping from 4 feet or so. No evidence of anything broken or fallen.

628x471.jpg

you know what is worse to clean up than wine?  olive oil and that appears to be olive oil!  that would suck!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Is it sound that birds and dogs and other animals hear just before we feel earthquakes? If not, then what are they sensing that we're not?

If there's some kind of sixth sense, my dog clearly doesn't have it... he slept like a baby the whole time.

I guess if there were a burglar or fire in the house, I'd have to be the one to wake him up. Lassie, he's not!

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have lived through MANY earthquakes. Sometimes the sound is overwhelming, sometimes none at all.  The loudest I ever heard was when I lived in an all brick house (unreinforced) with brick floors and huge wooden beams (1930's pool house) It was built on a rocky hillside. My guess is that there was no give to the house or the hillside, and it was like a roar inside the house. That was the Whittier quake and I was about18 linear miles from the epicenter.  I have also watched the street "ripple" which is a very odd sensation indeed!

I have been watching the news as they filmed a seismograph and felt a quake, then watched it register. The "big ones" (loma Prieta, Sylmar) didn't really affect me other than some shaking, but it's the scores of lesser quakes rather frequently that get your attention. Typically, their epicenter is closer so you "feel" them more. At least "modern" housing has several safety features that will help if a strong quake hits.

What I heard last night I would not relate to earthquakes, but it was too coincidental to be disregarded.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#14 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

What a shame!  I am surprised that the wineries don't have better storage.  There are clearly fault lines running through the wine country. You would think they would do more to secure the bottles and barrels.  I wonder what this will do to wine prices...

628x471.jpg

#15 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

What a shame!  I am surprised that the wineries don't have better storage.  There are clearly fault lines running through the wine country. You would think they would do more to secure the bottles and barrels.  I wonder what this will do to wine prices...

pretty sure that's olive oil

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users