7 replies to this topic

#1 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

Yesterday the city had a crew out trimming all the trees on Elkins Circle. I wonder, since the trees are planted in the front yards of residents, who is really responsible for the trees...the homeowner or the city?

Along Elkins Circle the trees are planted quite close to the sidewalks. Planted probably by the original builder in the area. The trees had gotten to the point where they were growing so over the sidewalks and so low, that it was impossible for a passerby to walking without constantly ducking or stooping.

Anyway yesterday the trees on Elkins Circle got trimmed. I wonder if someone called the city or what happened to get the job done. I am glad the trees got trimmed as we sometimes walk around there.

But frankly, I think it is the job of the homeowner to keep the right of way clear of tree branches and low hanging hazards.

#2 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:37 PM

I believe Natoma Station has a Landscaping and Lighting Assessment District which has funds used to maintain the rights-of-way which include treetrimming, sidewalk, curb, gutter maintenance. That's why the city was out there. It takes citizens to let the city know that you have a specific need for their L&L services.

In general, homeowners are responsible for landscaping on their own properties. And in fact, the city could bill the homeowner for any type of necessary services they provide that should be done by the homeowner.

#3 BodenMaddox

BodenMaddox

wirehed.com

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:43 PM

I think that if trees extend over city maintained property, like sidewalks/streets, then the city can and will trim them if necessary.

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:11 PM

Does anyone know the details re: street cleaning? We have some trees in our court that are dropping large quantities of little yellow flowers all over the gutter and road.

I know I've seen a street cleaning truck around, but it doesn't seem to have come lately. Do you think I need to call someone, or does it show up on a schedule?

#5 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:19 AM

I used to see the street sweeping vehicle with some regularity, but lately I have not seen one in the Natoma Station area.

The walkway through Big Foot Park is littered with the pollen from the trees. It has been this way for weeks. It is like walking through a half inch of yellow dust. We always take the grass instead of the concrete. Who should be maintaining this park?

Last night, while out walking on Blue Ravine, we ran into some neighbors. So the four of us stopped and chatted on the sidewalk for a while. We had to move to let a man on a bicycle pass, even though there is a painted bike lane right next to the curb. What are the rules regarding riding bikes on the sidewalk when there is a clearly marked bike lane? I am seeing this more and more.

#6 BodenMaddox

BodenMaddox

wirehed.com

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Farley @ Jul 8 2004, 05:19 AM)
I used to see the street sweeping vehicle with some regularity, but lately I have not seen one in the Natoma Station area.

It might be all the new construction. I have seen street sweepers cleaning the newly paved roadways behind empire ranch, and they have city logos on them, so I suspect they are being heavily used on the new roads right now and will return to the existing ones as the need demands or time permits.

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:34 AM

Well, I called the city regarding sweeping our street. Evidently this is an example of the cost of such rapid growth in Folsom.

The person in charge of street maintenance told me that the City used to be able to sweep the streets on a regular basis, but with all the new growth, they no longer have sufficient trucks and personnel to accomplish that. He said he would put me on a list and it is "possible" the sweepr could come toward the middle of next week.

He said eventually the city will try to buy another sweeper and will try to at least sweep all the streets once a month (which didn't sound like very much to me), but "that's a long way off."

Guess we'll just continue to wade through the piles of yellow flowers. (I've swept in front of my driveway, but sweeping our whole court is too big a job).

#8 clearwater

clearwater

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:42 AM

Try a noisy Gas leaf blower. laugh.gif
Bet one of the kids in the neighborhood would do it with your Gas or Elect blower for a few summer dollars

May the Force ( Kerry / Edwards) be with you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users