• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 folsom-person

folsom-person

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Actually the price is NOT outrageous- it might even be considered low for the type and pedigree of this dog within it's breed...

I have seem many with less prestigious pedigrees for over $2000...

thanks for this comment ... very kind of you.

#17 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

We got a papered purebred show quality lab for free. The owners were interested in getting their dog a good home, not recouping their expenses. Just sayin'...

I think the price is outrageous too. I adopted two pure bred Aussies and they came free with crates and all! The family was just glad I'd take both of them.

Keep in mind, some people can afford to give away "items" worth thousands of dollars, others cannot. You guys got lucky, purebred dogs are not cheap, mine cost $1800 and I couldn't imagine anyone would ever give one away for free.

You really shouldn't knock this person for not being wealthy enough to afford to give away $1500. I couldn't do it either.

#18 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Keep in mind, some people can afford to give away "items" worth thousands of dollars, others cannot. You guys got lucky, purebred dogs are not cheap, mine cost $1800 and I couldn't imagine anyone would ever give one away for free.

You really shouldn't knock this person for not being wealthy enough to afford to away $1500. I wouldn't do it either.

True, you are right. To each his/her own. But then I guess I wouldn't label this thread 'Adopt my..." it would be "Buy my..."
Adoption in my mind means something entirely different.

#19 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

I adopted my purebred from a private party, which included a small fee. Most recue organizations and shelters recommend that private parties "charge" for the dog so that only those serious will show interest to lead to a better fit.

#20 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

I understand a $50-$100 fee for vet checkup etc., but I agree with Thinkingoutloud that adopt doesn't mean buy. Even the SPCA has an adoption fee, but it isn't anywhere near $1500.

I adopted my purebred from a private party, which included a small fee. Most recue organizations and shelters recommend that private parties "charge" for the dog so that only those serious will show interest to lead to a better fit.

#21 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

True, you are right. To each his/her own. But then I guess I wouldn't label this thread 'Adopt my..." it would be "Buy my..."
Adoption in my mind means something entirely different.

My reaction exactly....

#22 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

You really shouldn't knock this person for not being wealthy enough to afford to away $1500. I wouldn't do it either.

hehehe...When I was reading this I was thinking the same thing...Dang kids are so expensive we shouldn't just give them away! jk :P

Honestly, I understand people may have paid a certain amount for an animal. My thought is that if you can no longer afford to care for or physically care for your animal, you should attempt to find the best home...recovering the financial aspect should be the absolute last key factor....other than to secure a home that wants the COMMITMENT of a pet.

A pet should not be treated as a financial asset, however sadly many people think of higher pedigree dogs in only that way. This is why the amount of pet insurance fraud has risen 600% in the last two years. People are honestly harming or killing their pets and filling injury/death claims. Makes me sick and although it is a long way from charging $1500 for someone to adopt your unwanted pet...it still makes me sick.

I see that this is the same person who wanted the dog to be adopted months ago. I feel horrible for the dog who has no clue that it's owners no longer want it and are in search of trying to find it a better home, yet are truly mainly concerned with securing the financial return before allowing the dog to go to a good home that the dog obviously needs and deserves.

I am sorry for sounding so harsh but I just cannot stand people who abandon, harm, or use their pets as cash cows!

#23 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

The OP never listed a price on this thread, despite being asked. Can we please get some clarification from the OP on your definition of "adopt"? and if a fee is involved, if so, how much?

Thank you

#24 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yes, I remember that, but I really wanted to know if the price had changed.

THANK YOU to "whomever" for the minus point because I asked if the price changed......shaking head.... :rolleyes:

#25 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

I'm assuming the $1,500 price is based on the amount the poster paid for the puppy -- which, in turn, was based on the potential that the puppy could be a show dog.

At 18 months old, the reality is that this dog will never be a show dog. Based on my (very limited) knowledge of dog shows, it seems like the dogs are shown from an early age and earn their "Championship" status by the time they are one. --At least that's what I observed when we were looking for our dog (a show-dog reject).

So now, for better or worse, this dog is probably destined to be someone's pet. --Which is a wonderful thing, hopefully he will give his new family tremendous love and loyalty. However, IMHO, dogs destined to be pets usually don't sell for $1,500. All the more true when the dog is rambunctious and has no special training.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. Hopefully the poster will let us know the end result (and hope it will be a happy ending for Buddy).

#26 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

The OP originally asked for 1500 in July. She now has listed it for free.I know because I spoke her

#27 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

I've often sold things here in town. I've posted them on this site but I usually have more success via Craigslist. A discussion forum is not the appropriate place. You will wind up with people questioning your price, your motive, your own suitability to have owned it, the merchandise quality, etc etc when what you really want is a buyer. The people reading and responding here are forum rats, and all of us need to get our two cents in for each others' entertainment, like a bunch of old guys having their daily coffee klatsch. They are not buyers.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#28 folsom-person

folsom-person

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

I'm Buddy's owner. I found an awesome family close by who would like to adopt Buddy.

When i said 'Adopt' i did mean it in the true sense, not sure why some folks dug up an old post and started speculating and being hostile .... was painful reading some of those comments. i'm never coming back to this website again.... i guess i'm not cut out for public forums like this.

Thanks to the few who were supportive, i'm grateful!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users