• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 27 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you have $$$$ (regardless of your race/ethnicity), you will have access to a dream team of defense lawyers to defend your son/daughter/spouse/family member and with that great represnetation, they can get a lighter sentence.

I agree with that statement. The more expensive lawyers you hire, the less time you do. See also: OJ Simpson.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#92 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jan 27 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with that statement. The more expensive lawyers you hire, the less time you do. See also: OJ Simpson.

heare one time that the best attorney is the one who can generate doubt in the jury's mind. our system for the most part lets smart folks off the jury so you sometimes get a jory thats not shap and the old attorney plays them like a banjo. that attorney can charge more money and the old DA will sometimes settle cause he doesn't like to loose cause losing hurts his ego

#93 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

On the same topic, I wonder what ever will happened to th rich EDH Indian kid that got to Craigslist and kidnapped that disabled girl. That story was all over the news last year. I wonder if the defendentas rich parents have hired a high powere lawyer and can get him a nice plea????

#94 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 27 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the same topic, I wonder what ever will happened to th rich EDH Indian kid that got to Craigslist and kidnapped that disabled girl. That story was all over the news last year. I wonder if the defendentas rich parents have hired a high powere lawyer and can get him a nice plea????

Why did it matter that he's Indian? Why did you have to highlight that!? He's a criminal, and we can discuss the effect of wealth on court proceedings, but why did you even remember that he was Indian?! Just stop thinking entirely with a view of race, dude!

#95 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jan 27 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did it matter that he's Indian? Why did you have to highlight that!? He's a criminal, and we can discuss the effect of wealth on court proceedings, but why did you even remember that he was Indian?! Just stop thinking entirely with a view of race, dude!

it's hard for a racist to let go of other peoples race...
<3

#96 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jan 27 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess the Juice ran out of $$, you know where he is today right:)
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#97 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (FolsomResident2002 @ Jan 27 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think what Al means is that Kathi would rather us focus on the biblical definition of forgiveness. I certainly think that she needs to be punished and as a Christian offer forgiveness. Just because we (Christians) are called by God to forgive doesn't mean there isn't a consequence for an action!

That is a good point.

It certainly helps to have a different perspective at the table when we hot heads start calling for blood.

However--I also am inclined to feel that EDH in general has a rather too forgiving view of those who perpetrate alcohol related attacks upon their citizenry.

Perhaps I look through biased lenses; yet I can't seem to recall very many instances where EDH has made examples of criminals--unless outside sources have become involved (which is often).

Such as the marijuana issues in EDH.

Yet, whatever happened to those kids who were killing the cows in the fields out in EDH?

Remember that?

Just seems like the law has lax views on things up there.

So, expounding on this situation seems like just another EDH punishment not meted out with proper due diligence of justice; for the victims.

#98 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jan 27 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reeeeelax dude. I did not have the kid's name on file. That was the only recollection I had. If I had mentioned the rich EDH Kid that...., that may have been a general comment. I tried to be specific and this time it was not intended.

So here is my question again?

Whatever happened to that rich EDH Kid that took advantage of another EDH female on Craigslist?

feel better???

#99 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

The dude's name was Rishi Sanwal. I am always amazed how these stories fall of the radar screen as the attorneys of the rich get these people off with a lighter sentence.

#100 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 27 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The dude's name was Rishi Sanwal. I am always amazed how these stories fall of the radar screen as the attorneys of the rich get these people off with a lighter sentence.

If I heard, I don't even remember him being Indian. I just remember some kidnapping, craigslist, and expensive lawyers. I just don't think of people in terms of their race.

#101 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 27 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way that is worded, it seems a bit racist. Does the nationality or race have anything to do with recalling the event because anyone that can identify with that crime and reports will recall it. In fact I didn't recall the race so much as his age, use of a Hummer and cities the crimes were committed.

#102 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

HUMMER + EDH Teen + EDH Diabled Girl + Craigslist + Media + Whatever happned to this story + Did the crimminal kid get a light sentence due to his rich parents???

There.

#103 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Jan 26 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like we talked about, no prison term. Read this... Plea deal, not even a trial. That's our court system. WHAT CRAP !!!

http://www.news10.ne...p...805&catid=2

Woman Who Hit Cyclists Avoids Prison Term
Posted By: Mark Hedlund

PLACERVILLE, CA - The 19-year-old who was DUI when she hit and severely injured two women bicyclists in El Dorado Hills last summer has taken a plea bargain to keep her from going to state prison.

Brandi Thomas took the deal last week in a Placerville courtroom, pleading guilty to one count of driving under the influence and guilty to two enhancements of causing great bodily injury, according to her attorney, John Campanella.

I don't know what to say. I'm just speechless. Wow.

You know, I wonder what it would be like to apply group punishment. Things like, if one person in the family gets a DUI and has their license suspended, then all people in that family get their license suspended. Wonder how that would work out in self enforcement.

#104 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (tsukiji @ Jan 27 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what to say. I'm just speechless. Wow.

You know, I wonder what it would be like to apply group punishment. Things like, if one person in the family gets a DUI and has their license suspended, then all people in that family get their license suspended. Wonder how that would work out in self enforcement.

If that girl still has a license to drive - our justice system is completely flawed and entirely hopeless

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#105 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

she should work for the 2 women she hit doing community service. She'd get to know the people she almost killed and help them out at the same time... it appears she still gets a year in county jail (not sure how that works). Terrible situation all around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users