• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Went to try this place today, the wife had told me about it and we made a pilgrimage down there in Sacramento. It's at 8th & I (in between I, J).

It's a one man shop. This Zagat-rated restaurant is owned and operated by a retired chef from some famous restaurant... think of the head chef from "Ratatouille" and that's basically who I figured he was. He opens at 10:30 and the lines form quickly. Lots of sandwiches, the soups are "amazing", according to some. When he's out of food, he closes up shop. The line is usually out the door to the street corner by 11 am. It's not uncommon for the place to be closed by noon. I'm pretty sure it's closed on weekends.

We were fortunate to have gone during a furlough Friday, so the line wasn't bad for us. I got a Lamb sandwich, Annie got a salmon sandwich. 2 sandwiches + 2 sodas = $16. Honestly not bad, considering the food is pretty much first class.

You pretty much have to time it right to get your food, as it really does take a while. You'll watch him make every sandwich fresh, and you really get a sense of appreciation for the great food.

Thumbs up!!!

#2 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Read about that in the Bee or SNR and reviews were very good and they noted the attitude. Will add to my dwntwn list of places to try.

#3 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Aug 14 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read about that in the Bee or SNR and reviews were very good and they noted the attitude. Will add to my dwntwn list of places to try.

Here's some photos of the menu, I like know what to expect before I trek into Sac.
http://www.yelp.com/...EgIjGAHzTChXljg

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (MrsTuffPaws @ Aug 14 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's some photos of the menu, I like know what to expect before I trek into Sac.
http://www.yelp.com/...EgIjGAHzTChXljg

Brie & Apple sandwich with French onion soup. Yumm.

#5 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (john @ Aug 14 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went to try this place today, the wife had told me about it and we made a pilgrimage down there in Sacramento. It's at 8th & I (in between I, J).

It's a one man shop. This Zagat-rated restaurant is owned and operated by a retired chef from some famous restaurant... think of the head chef from "Ratatouille" and that's basically who I figured he was. He opens at 10:30 and the lines form quickly. Lots of sandwiches, the soups are "amazing", according to some. When he's out of food, he closes up shop. The line is usually out the door to the street corner by 11 am. It's not uncommon for the place to be closed by noon. I'm pretty sure it's closed on weekends.

We were fortunate to have gone during a furlough Friday, so the line wasn't bad for us. I got a Lamb sandwich, Annie got a salmon sandwich. 2 sandwiches + 2 sodas = $16. Honestly not bad, considering the food is pretty much first class.

You pretty much have to time it right to get your food, as it really does take a while. You'll watch him make every sandwich fresh, and you really get a sense of appreciation for the great food.

Thumbs up!!!

Sounds like a really good place!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#6 dnell

dnell

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

I was able to go there once and it was amazing. I forget what kind of sandwich I had but it had apple in it and was very tasty.

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (dnell @ Aug 14 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was able to go there once and it was amazing. I forget what kind of sandwich I had but it had apple in it and was very tasty.

I keep hearing it's brie and apple, and I keep hearing it's very good. Next time I go, that's what I am getting.

#8 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

Ohhh sounds delish...why not in FOLSOM?
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#9 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

Today they failed a health inspection and were closed down. This afternoon, the place was put up for sale. sad.gif Without that world-class chef, there's no way it will remain the same. http://tiny.cc/27k43

#10 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (john @ Sep 30 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today they failed a health inspection and were closed down. This afternoon, the place was put up for sale. sad.gif Without that world-class chef, there's no way it will remain the same. http://tiny.cc/27k43

I heard it was cockroaches. I mean, every restaurant has cockroaches! I guess they had too many.

#11 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Too bad - looks like most of us won't get a chance to try it with the original chef...

KCRA.com

No Soup For You: Cockroaches Found At La Bonne
Health Inspectors Shut Down Soup Café

POSTED: 12:14 pm PDT September 30, 2009
UPDATED: 3:21 pm PDT September 30, 2009

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Health inspectors have shut down a restaurant that's been called the place to find the best French onion soup in the world.

Kerri Aiello from the Countywide Services Agency said cockroaches were detected at La Bonne Soup Café during a routine county health inspection.

Since then, owner Daniel Pont has closed his soup shop, Aiello said.

Inspectors said Wednesday they were planning to issue a red placard until the pests are removed.

Three living cockroaches and 15 dead ones were found in the restaurant. The infestation was called "mild to moderate."

The county said there have been no recent violations at the site. It's been inspected three times per year.

Inspectors said about 100 to 120 restaurants in the Sacramento area are shut down each year, which is about 1 percent of the eateries.

It's unknown when the restaurant will reopen.

A Zagat survey recently named Pont's French onion soup the best in the world, and the restaurant was selected as No. 1 in Sacramento.
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

I hope its a matter of ego, that he gets over it with the support and encouragement of the community, takes care of the matter (which the health department could be easily resolved in one day) and gets back to making that fantastic french onion soup!!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#13 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Oct 1 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope its a matter of ego, that he gets over it with the support and encouragement of the community, takes care of the matter (which the health department could be easily resolved in one day) and gets back to making that fantastic french onion soup!!

On an earlier visit to the restaurant, I got to chat it up with the owner of the bail bond shop next door to La Bonne, who informed a friend and I that the owner had been considering retirement for some time, having been working well past the usual retirement age, especially considering he supposedly makes damn good money running the shop all by himself.

I was actually in the shop yesterday when the inspection went down... Those of us present got to hear an earful about how the county had been "harassing him" for some time, and that they knew how busy he is during business hours, due to his servicing a long line all by himself. When the inspector, who I happen to know, by the way, requested to talk to him, he refused, asked her to get out his way in the very small kitchen, and then locked her out after setting her bag outside the door...effectively closing up.

I know now what it was she wanted to talk to him about, presumably away from the line of customers.

I was worried there for a moment that she might come to the door and motion to me to open it for her...since I plan on returning there for lunch with increasing frequency in the near future.

Now I have to hope I might get the opportunity... sad.gif
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#14 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

I am sad I missed the chance to try this soup cafe after all the rave reviews.

Ironic when a Folsom restaurant had a roach problem was harshly condemed but the forum and many swore to never go there again. Granted it failed 2 or 3 inspections before it was allowed to reopen and their fat\calories\sodium values were WAY off the charts for anyone looking for a healthy meal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users