• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

I am in Portland today for work - they have these semi-permanent food trucks everywhere! This block was packed with people out for a bite to eat at lunch. IMO, thie time has come for this in Sacramento. We need to get rid of the 30-minute ordinance on these trucks and embrace them like every other real city.

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Although I do not see anyone eating- I agree as long as there are restrictions on the trucks being a certain distance away from the brick and mortars... I think that is only fair...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

all those people you see in this picture, they are waiting for their food! It was quite a lunch rush.

#4 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Long live the Roach Coach :wub:

#5 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Or at least give them more than 30 minutes... In LA, they have trucks which have different gourmet twists on lots of the original "roach coach" menu items. All of the popular trucks have huge followings on Twitter and announce where they will be for lunch via tweets the morning of.

http://www.findlafoodtrucks.com/

#6 newday

newday

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Best burgers ever!!!!

http://www.miniburgertruck.com/

#7 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

As long as the food trucks follow the same health and safety guidelines I think more than 30 minutes should be allowed. Give the food truck workers some credit for actually working and earning a paycheck instead of sitting and waiting for a handout!

Or at least give them more than 30 minutes... In LA, they have trucks which have different gourmet twists on lots of the original "roach coach" menu items. All of the popular trucks have huge followings on Twitter and announce where they will be for lunch via tweets the morning of.

http://www.findlafoodtrucks.com/

#8 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

What is meant my "semi-permanent"? Does that just mean that they are there longer than 30-minutes but not all day or does that equate to something like a trailer park where, technically, the home is mobile but it is actually a permanent fixture?

If it is the latter, I'm not a fan. If you want to setup a permanent shop, then do so. Based solely on that picture (which I admit may not be fair) having clusters of trailers all over the place just doesn't sound like it would be good from a city planning POV. I wouldn't want to see random parts of town turned into a State Fair looking strip of trailers. Replacing a strip of brick-n-mortar spaces with a strip of trucks doesn't sound appealing.

If it's just a timing thing, then yes, the 30-minute limit is stupid. I think a cluster of trucks setting up all day for a festival or, say, all evening for Thursday Night Market type events makes sense. But I assume the ordinance doesn't apply when it is for a specific event.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users