23 replies to this topic

#16 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

My 7yo will be with us so no fine dining, but good/nice places are fine.

I just have to comment that the underlying theme buried through this topic is that kids either
don't eat healthy or don't know how to act in a restaurant. Is this what their parents are intimating
that there is "nothing" for a kid to eat on restaurant menus? Do kids really only eat the crap from a kids menu
mentioned through this topic? Its sad to read how many comments that menus aren't for kids like there is some special food group that restaurants don't carry and therefore kids can't eat there. If these low end, low quality food groups are being fed to kids at every meal, where are they getting their daily nutrients that come from EACH meal? SMH I see nothing on the online menus of the mentioned restaurants that would not be palatable to a child, other than perhaps sharing a meal for size/cost.

I would think it's more a matter of portion/cost than quality of food.

#17 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

I would think it's more a matter of portion/cost than quality of food.

+1

#18 CoachWeise

CoachWeise

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

I think it's funny that a discussion about where to eat in Sacramento that includes options for kids turns into a general topic about eating habits for kids, how healthy their meals are and whether or not they can sit in a fine dining restaurant and eat there.

Anyway, for me it's many things:

Can my son behave in a fine dining restaurant --- sometimes, it really depends on how tired he is and how long we want to stay for. But he is an active 7yo boy that can only be contained for so long... Why subject other patrons to the possiblity of jitters from him and why have an unrealistic expectation of keeping an active child contained for a long time.

Would he eat off of the main menu --- For most items on the regular menu of a fine dining or upscale restaurant, he would eat very little and it's hard to say what he would eat. My son actually does better with fruits and vegetables than he does with main dishes, but he won't eat an entree salad either, he needs something else to fill him up. He will eat some steak (with sauce), some chicken (depends on the sauce) and does not like fish yet. He might like some of what is on the menu, but it does come down to picking your battles. Why pay $20 for a meal that will barely be touched and then argue with him over it to make him eat it or go hungry (which of course results in "I'm hungry" pleas). I don't think eating out is the place to force your kids into eating something new. Home is a much better place for that, plus it won't cost $20 to do it :)

I do not believe that one meal makes or breaks the health of a child. I think it comes down to knowing your kids, having respect for others at the restaurant and wanting to enjoy a good time eating out with family and distant relatives.

#19 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

The Folsom Forum, your head/life/motives/morals examined/commented on for free. Where else can you find all this at such a bargain price?
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#20 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

Zocalo! people from Germany never get good mexican food. its full of color and sound. and the food is excellent too.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#21 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

No judgements whatsoever, kids can be very hard to please. They can love something one day and then not want it the next. It's a matter of averages, If you can get your child to eat good stuff most of the time, you're on the winning end.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#22 beachbum

beachbum

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

I would recommend Lucca or Cafeteria 15L. Il Fornaio at 5th and Capitol Mall is good as well, without being fancy. There is also McCormicks & Schmicks.

For something more fancy, try the Grange in the Citizen Hotel.

Are your German relatives open to most anything, except Chinese? I imagine they will want something with good food, and well-done customer service. (Having worked extensively with Germans, it was always a consideration for them, so would assume the same for others.)

#23 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

From personal experience I highly recommend Ella Dining and Biba.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#24 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Zocalo! people from Germany never get good mexican food. its full of color and sound. and the food is excellent too.

I second the idea of going to a Mexican restaurant, but Zocalos has fallen off a cliff in quality in the past year. Service has always been dreadful, but now the food is competing in that department. They also dropped their prices by a large amount recently, which does not compensate for the even larger drop in food quality. I used to love this place, but sadly...no more. Expect to pay for chips and salsa as well unless they changed that policy back. The last time I dined there, two groups were very upset about the charge for chips/salsa on their bill and demanded to speak to the manager.

Ernesto's is good for Mexican. Chops is good. Ten22 is good. Firehouse is a bit too upscale for kids IMHO. Paesanos is great for Italian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users