25 replies to this topic

#1 jello

jello

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Okay, so I have been following a discussion relating to the coming of a Dickey's BBQ joint to Folsom. I have to say that I am a big fan of good, authentic BBQ, but that I have not yet found a really great BBQ place in the Sacramento area. I have heard good things about JRs, but I have only tried their meat at a catered event and it was a bit dry, so I am not sure that one experience really gave me an accurate picture of their menu.

I think the best BBQ I have eaten in the last few years was at a place called Bubbas BBQ in Jackson Hole, Wyo., but I also enjoyed some good BBQ at Reds in Carson City, NV a couple of years back. There are also some good places down along the CA coast (one in Pismo Beach, one in Cambria). Except for Reds, the others were all pretty basic in their ambiance, some even hole-in-the-wall-ish, but the BBQ was exceptional.

Has anyone found a really great BBQ place (whether Texas-style, Memphis-style, etc.) around Sacramento that they could recommend? And where (anywhere in the world) have you eaten your best BBQ?

#2 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

And where (anywhere in the world) have you eaten your best BBQ?

My backyard smoker.

I too have experienced "dry" meats from supposedly great BBQ joints and I've come to the conclusion, if you aren't there to eat it when the meat has reached it's optimum point, you end up eating something that is no longer optimum.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#3 HiC

HiC

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I am a Christian who loves basketball, golf and baseball (go Giants).

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

If you like JR's Texas BBQ catered, you will just love it if you can find his restaurant. It's hidden away off of 47th Avenue across from Campbell's (west of Franklin) on Otto Drive. Don't expect ANY ambiance. It has wooden picnic tables with red and white checkered tablecloths. However, you can definitely expect good food and lots of it. If I am out and about in the area at lunchtime (which is not often), that's my place. Not very expensive, either. I have not found a better BBQ in the area.

#4 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

BBQ has been discussed MANY times on this forum. Hit the search button.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

I like the one in cameron park the best, although the one on Greenback near the Foster Freeze is also good.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I like the one in cameron park the best, although the one on Greenback near the Foster Freeze is also good.

You are thinking of Sierra Smokehouse BBQ near Cambridge Rd in Cameron Park and O'Connor's BBQ in Orangevale. i have been to both preferring SS BBQ for meats and their sides are getting better with more options.

Others are Lucille's Smokehouse in Rocklin which i havent been to but very good.

As to the comment that good Q has been discussed alot on here, yes there are several threads on BBQ, grilling and smoking. While searching for them, may your mug be full and a plate of tasty ribs or chicken in front of you. :letseat:

#7 jello

jello

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

BBQ has been discussed MANY times on this forum. Hit the search button.

I searched before I started the thread, but obviously I didn't search well enough because I didn't really find anything. I'll try again.

#8 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I searched before I started the thread, but obviously I didn't search well enough because I didn't really find anything. I'll try again.

nah don't listen to that guy, we always like a bbq discussion

#9 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Always interested in a fresh BBQ thread.:)

But can we break it out by style. While it'll eat it all, I prefer Texas style - dry rub, low and slow. But I'll try a good Carolina or KC style place. But it also depends on what we're talking about -- baby back, spare, beef ribs, brisket, chicken....

I think there are some places I'd go around here: Sierra, Lucille's being a couple. But I'd love to have a Bone Daddy, or Rudy's around here.... :)

#10 Tas Cammara

Tas Cammara

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Okay, so I have been following a discussion relating to the coming of a Dickey's BBQ joint to Folsom. I have to say that I am a big fan of good, authentic BBQ, but that I have not yet found a really great BBQ place in the Sacramento area. I have heard good things about JRs, but I have only tried their meat at a catered event and it was a bit dry, so I am not sure that one experience really gave me an accurate picture of their menu.

I think the best BBQ I have eaten in the last few years was at a place called Bubbas BBQ in Jackson Hole, Wyo., but I also enjoyed some good BBQ at Reds in Carson City, NV a couple of years back. There are also some good places down along the CA coast (one in Pismo Beach, one in Cambria). Except for Reds, the others were all pretty basic in their ambiance, some even hole-in-the-wall-ish, but the BBQ was exceptional.

Has anyone found a really great BBQ place (whether Texas-style, Memphis-style, etc.) around Sacramento that they could recommend? And where (anywhere in the world) have you eaten your best BBQ?

Back Forty in Shingle Springs is great(award winning)and Sandra Dee's in downtown Sacramento is also a winner. They also have fried catfish and fried Chicken.

#11 puppylover

puppylover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

This BBQ discussion made me crave it. Ordered full rack from BJ's DRY DRY DRY
Prefer my own.

#12 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

I like my ribs smoked with a dry rub, and then sauced for the last hour of slow cooking so the sauce gets nicely glazed onto the meat.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

I like my ribs smoked with a dry rub, and then sauced for the last hour of slow cooking so the sauce gets nicely glazed onto the meat.

I like the glazed sauce as well. I'm not a fan of plain dry rub on meat with a bowl of sauce on the side.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

I got a big green egg bbq last month and have been experimenting and found this recipe below by Dr BBQ that made the best ribs I've ever tasted.

Here's a photo of how mine turned out - I slow cooked and smoked them with apple wood and they tasted great!

Posted Image

http://www.biggreene...mpionship-ribs/

Backyard Championship Ribs
Submitted by Dr. BBQ From "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook"
by Ray Lampe and published by St. Martin

Ingredients:
3 slabs of St. Louis-style ribs or baby back ribs, cut in half, membrane off* and ribs washed
1 cup of your favorite commercial or homemade dry BBQ rub (See Below)
1 cup honey
1-1/2 cups apple juice
2 cups honey BBQ Sauce

Cover the ribs with the rub, using about two-thirds on the meaty side and one-third on the boney side. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.

Set the EGG® up for indirect cooking with a plate setter at 325°F. Using a handful of hickory and cherry chips will help carmelize the ribs.

Cook for one-and-a-half hours, using a rib rack if you need it to have sufficient space for three slabs of ribs. Remove ribs to a flat pan or cookie sheet and brush them all on both sides with honey.

Put the ribs in an aluminum foil pan with about one-inch of apple juice in the bottom, standing them on end in the pan if necessary to get them to fit. Cover with foil and continue cooking for about one hour, replenishing the apple juice if needed to maintain liquid in the pan. Test the ribs by inserting a toothpick to determine whether they are tender.

At this point, you could cool them down, wrap each slab separately and refrigerate them for a day or two. They can then be transported to a tailgate party or reheated for entertaining at home.

When ready to serve them, transfer the cooked ribs to a medium hot grill. Brush with Honey BBQ Sauce; heat a few minutes, flipping them to heat both sides. Cut in to pieces and serve.

* Removing the membrane: Carefully slide an implement, such as a fish skinner (available in the sporting goods department), the tip of a butter knife or the tip of a meat thermometer between the membrane and a bone near the end of the rack of ribs. Rock the implement back and forth gently to loosen the membrane until you have enough space to slide your finger under it. Using a paper towel, pull up the membrane and slowly peel the membrane off.

Big Time BBQ Rub
Submitted by Dr. BBQ

Ingredients:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp granulated onion
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container.
Yields 1-1/2 cups

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Nice smoke ring Dave!

Looks delicious

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users