#31 dori2u

dori2u

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(john @ Sep 16 2008, 12:58 PM) View Post
Natoma Station Elementary's sprinklers are on Mondays. It overflows in to the asphalt too. I wish there was a city form to report water offenders - specifically schools and parks.

Residents are far less likely to be wasting water... Don't get me started on that pit of mud and dead grass that makes up the new softball field at Livermore Park. ohmy.gif

After months of watering dead grass, it looks like they are going to reseed.

#32 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Coastal Cohort @ Sep 17 2008, 09:39 AM) View Post
Last time I checked there are plenty of daylight hours on Saturdays and Sundays, all year long...

Thank you kindly for letting me know that there are daylight hours on Saturdays and Sundays.

#33 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

I think you are correct, the city does own the sidewalks. But if it is your lawn watering that is causing the hazard, can't you be held liable if there is an accident?

Most catch basins or end drains shouldn't be closer than 36" from the edge of the sidewalk to allow for dissipation of water into surrounding grass or materials. If it is closer than that and you are having huge amounts of water pouring over your sidewalk, go out into your yard, dig up the drain, and then shorten the feeding tube into it. Easy. If you are still having water drain over your sidewalk, it is rather easy to place several outlets into your yard. All it will take is a little labor de manuel and a few Home Depot supplies. Plus, the weather is perfect for outside work right now!!!!

#34 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ Sep 17 2008, 10:31 PM) View Post
I think you are correct, the city does own the sidewalks. But if it is your lawn watering that is causing the hazard, can't you be held liable if there is an accident?

Most catch basins or end drains shouldn't be closer than 36" from the edge of the sidewalk to allow for dissipation of water into surrounding grass or materials. If it is closer than that and you are having huge amounts of water pouring over your sidewalk, go out into your yard, dig up the drain, and then shorten the feeding tube into it. Easy. If you are still having water drain over your sidewalk, it is rather easy to place several outlets into your yard. All it will take is a little labor de manuel and a few Home Depot supplies. Plus, the weather is perfect for outside work right now!!!!

That's interesting about the catch basins. All home builders put them right up against the edge of the sidewalk. IN Addition, I don't think that would help with the slopped yards we have, the water would still spil out on the sidewalk just from watering the front yard.

#35 airsoft4life

airsoft4life

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(Coastal Cohort @ Sep 16 2008, 09:48 AM) View Post
Hi All,
I just completeed my daily walk with the dog and I am prompted to post this little reminder.

Please check the sidewalks in front of your house. Many of you have water and mud run off from your lawns that makes the section of sidwalk *very* slippery! weirdsmiley.gif I've slipped so many times, now I just walk into the street to avoid those sections.

It has gotten a bit better since the water restrictions, but still please take a moment to check your sidewalk and give it a good scrub down if it needs it.

Also, please clean the gutter in front of your house. I see many houses with piles of mud and debris that block the water flow - cleaning your gutter and the sewer grate helps with the run off and mud issues. I know it's a pain, we have a sewer grate that we have to sweep frequently - but it makes our sidewalks much nicer for all of us.

Thanks!!! specool.gif

ok so for the part where u said that you have slipped many times, well isnt it just common sense to walk around things like that?

#36 northlexer

northlexer

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(airsoft4life @ Sep 19 2008, 11:36 PM) View Post
ok so for the part where u said that you have slipped many times, well isnt it just common sense to walk around things like that?

I agree, although I might also suggest some shoes with better grip so that you dont have to worry about that kind of stuff.

#37 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(northlexer @ Sep 21 2008, 07:49 PM) View Post
I agree, although I might also suggest some shoes with better grip so that you dont have to worry about that kind of stuff.

I agree too, although I was too weak to be sucked into an argument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users