22 replies to this topic

#1 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

Anyone else all of a sudden having any ant problems? I'm finding them in our upstairs bathtub, shower and other random places!!

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (mhawkins @ Jan 21 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else all of a sudden having any ant problems? I'm finding them in our upstairs bathtub, shower and other random places!!

I used to, but not in several years now. Basically, you've got a colony that is trying to find a new place to set up home cuz something like water or cold is driving them out of their normal underground home.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

So....How do I get rid of them or stop them from making a home in mine!

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 21 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to, but not in several years now. Basically, you've got a colony that is trying to find a new place to set up home cuz something like water or cold is driving them out of their normal underground home.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Tarro ant bait from Lowe's. Place several of them outside your home -- especially in the area the ants are coming into the house (if you can tell).
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (mhawkins @ Jan 21 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get some liquid Terro ant bait, find the trail or where they are entering, place the Terro there and within a couple days the colony will be wiped out.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

follow them back to where they are entering your rooms. pour a little bleach and then sprinkle comet or ajax at the entry point. then use a sponge moistened with a little water and clorox (or vinegar if you don't want to stain) to wipe up all the ants you can find. keep doing this. it may take a few days to get rid of all the ants invading your rooms. also make sure they have no food source available. then you might put baits outside the house so you work on poisoning them. i never spray because i don't like a lot of toxic chemicals around the house and i don't think you can ever really get rid of them anyway. just control them so they can't in your space and find a good balance.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

Thanks!!! I will try that for the downstairs, but for the upstairs I have no clue!! They seem to be coming from the baseboards and plumbing fixtures. Does this mean they are in the walls? And if so, can I do anything about that?

#8 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (mhawkins @ Jan 21 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks!!! I will try that for the downstairs, but for the upstairs I have no clue!! They seem to be coming from the baseboards and plumbing fixtures. Does this mean they are in the walls? And if so, can I do anything about that?

They are walking along the pipes probably in search of water. They are coming in from someplace around the ground floor, you need to do some detective work to find out where.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#9 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Thanks everyone! I will put on my detective hat!

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (mhawkins @ Jan 21 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, don't freak out. Ants like nice dry places to live and nothing is finer than a big warm concrete pad. So they really live pretty much everywhere under our houses. And then they like to go up into walls, but they don't live there. It's just a road for them. Read my previous post about what to do upstairs. Remember. They may "bug" you, but they're just a nuisance and you can deal with them cheaply and easily. Use the clorox and ajax to create a barrier into your room. Use the wipe to get rid of their scent trail, so they're confused and think its no-bug's land. then you can also put poison outside to try and minimize their colonies. I don't think you can ever get rid of them. but if they stay outside, what do you care?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#11 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jan 21 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, don't freak out. Ants like nice dry places to live and nothing is finer than a big warm concrete pad. So they really live pretty much everywhere under our houses. And then they like to go up into walls, but they don't live there. It's just a road for them. Read my previous post about what to do upstairs. Remember. They may "bug" you, but they're just a nuisance and you can deal with them cheaply and easily. Use the clorox and ajax to create a barrier into your room. Use the wipe to get rid of their scent trail, so they're confused and think its no-bug's land. then you can also put poison outside to try and minimize their colonies. I don't think you can ever get rid of them. but if they stay outside, what do you care?

THANKS!!! Yeah I LOVE vinegar!! I use it around the house for everything : )

#12 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

Another vote for the terro ant baits. Its just sugar water with some boric acid powder mixed in, very mild stuff. The mix is toxic enough to kill the ants but not toxic enough to kill them immediately, so they bring it all back to the nest to feed the queen, the eggs and everyone else back there.

We had a terrible time with them last year when we first moved in. They kept invading the kitchen and coming out of everywhere theres plumbing. They need water and drains are often warmed up in the morning with hot shower water. I sprayed a bit and used a lot of the outdoor terro baits and this year we only got one invasion, in the upstairs bathroom of all places. Some indoor terro baits and 2 days later they were gone and havent returned.

The rains over the last few days have probably driven them inside, after they had a couple of weeks of warm dry weather to spend outdoors.

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

rainy season always brings them indoors - and I think nearly every house around here was built on top of an ant colony. There's been a lot of great advice here already and I'll 3rd the recommendation for the Tero bait - that's always worked for me in addition to putting comet cleanser down where the ants are entering the house

if you have a lot of ants, we found the best thing to do is vacuum them up, along with some comet cleanser (to kill them inside the vacuum) and then spray or put comet where the ants are entering, that saves having a bunch of bug spray all over your house

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (mhawkins @ Jan 21 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I decided not to give advice as my method is neurotoxins, not everyone is confortable with using chemical warfare at the extreme, but fundamentally, that's what raid is.
I would rather be Backpacking

#15 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

Yeah there has been some GREAT advise!! advise I can live with, unlike the smell of Raid...which seems to take for EVER to go AWAY, and doesn't even seem to be that effective long term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users