34 replies to this topic

#1 lexmom

lexmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

sad.gif Does anyone know what is up with the Lexington Hills sign at Oak Ave. and S. Lexington?

Also, what is being built there in front of Lakeside?

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:23 PM

If you are talking about the Lakeside Church, I heard on one of the Folsom city council meetings that they are going to have a very large expansion there. Huge.....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 12 2006, 01:23 PM) View Post

If you are talking about the Lakeside Church, I heard on one of the Folsom city council meetings that they are going to have a very large expansion there. Huge.....

Doing God's work pays well apparently, that place is already huge!

Edited by mylo, 12 June 2006 - 12:30 PM.

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 12 2006, 01:29 PM) View Post

Doing God's work pays well apparently, that place is already huge!

that and having a wealthy congregation....

its truely amazing how incredibly huge some churchs are around here, just goes to show how profitable an organized religion can really be

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

It's a new building designed exclusively for young people to have a place to go. It was built entirely with donations.

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 12 2006, 01:35 PM) View Post

that and having a wealthy congregation....

its truely amazing how incredibly huge some churchs are around here, just goes to show how profitable an organized religion can really be

What an ignorant post, Dave. I go there and I can assure you not everyone is wealthy.

Edited by c_vanderveen, 12 June 2006 - 01:35 PM.

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:24 PM

And they are non profit ?????

I don't think any church is actually non profit and feel they should all be taxed.....

Comments....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 12 2006, 08:24 PM) View Post

And they are non profit ?????
I don't think any church is actually non profit and feel they should all be taxed.....

Comments....

Why do you say that? Every dollar donated is used for staff salaries, equipment and, like this new building, for reaching out to the community

#8 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jun 12 2006, 02:34 PM) View Post

It's a new building designed exclusively for young people to have a place to go. It was built entirely with donations.
What an ignorant post, Dave. I go there and I can assure you not everyone is wealthy.

Yeah that was totally ignorant of me to assume there was more then one wealthy person who attends that church, my bad.

I wonder how many members of the congregation have a household income of less then 50k? Bet its not much

#9 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 12 2006, 10:23 PM) View Post

Yeah that was totally ignorant of me to assume there was more then one wealthy person who attends that church, my bad.

I wonder how many members of the congregation have a household income of less then 50k? Bet its not much

50k+ is wealthy in your book? Gee, how can I sign up to live in your world?

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jun 13 2006, 07:25 AM) View Post

50k+ is wealthy in your book? Gee, how can I sign up to live in your world?

dude I said LESS then 50k, as in how many of the congregation have an income LESS then that.... figuring that would be considered a lower income around here.

I just used number as a benchmark, I figure the average household income around here is 100-200k (just a guesstimate).

and hey in some places 50k a year IS a lot of money, not everyone needs to drive a bmw, lexus, live in a mcmansion and so on.... it all just goes with a persons capability to live within their means

Side note: the people that I do know that attend that church spend more then 50k just on one car... thats why I was being sarcastic with my notes about the (assumed) wealth of the congregation at that place.

Seriously though Chad, you gotta admit some of the churches around here are incredibly HUGE! above and beyond a basic normal church. Heck there are super sized churches out here.... there's another new one going up on White Rock near Latrobe that looks like it could be a new Arco Arena - its friggin enormous - it takes some serious money to build giant structures like that (and at Lakeside) and typically it takes a rather wealthy or incredibly large (thousands) congregation to make the donations needed to build something like that.

#11 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 13 2006, 08:08 AM) View Post

dude I said LESS then 50k, as in how many of the congregation have an income LESS then that.... figuring that would be considered a lower income around here.

I just used number as a benchmark, I figure the average household income around here is 100-200k (just a guesstimate).

and hey in some places 50k a year IS a lot of money, not everyone needs to drive a bmw, lexus, live in a mcmansion and so on.... it all just goes with a persons capability to live within their means

Side note: the people that I do know that attend that church spend more then 50k just on one car... thats why I was being sarcastic with my notes about the (assumed) wealth of the congregation at that place.

Seriously though Chad, you gotta admit some of the churches around here are incredibly HUGE! above and beyond a basic normal church. Heck there are super sized churches out here.... there's another new one going up on White Rock near Latrobe that looks like it could be a new Arco Arena - its friggin enormous - it takes some serious money to build giant structures like that (and at Lakeside) and typically it takes a rather wealthy or incredibly large (thousands) congregation to make the donations needed to build something like that.

Yes, churches are large...I guess I am just missing your point. Our church's mission is "to make passionate and productive followers of Christ." Having larger facilities helps make that goal more attainable.

Am I just not getting your beef with bigger buildings?

#12 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jun 13 2006, 08:31 AM) View Post

Yes, churches are large...I guess I am just missing your point. Our church's mission is "to make passionate and productive followers of Christ." Having larger facilities helps make that goal more attainable.

Am I just not getting your beef with bigger buildings?

no worries, I was just ranting cause I have a pet peeve with churches and the money donation requirements some have. It seems to dillute what religion should be about - it shouldn't be about money and having bigger better bldgs ---- it really shouldn't cost that much to talk to God.

to me it seems like its a way to bait people to come in or leave another church to attend that one - whoever has the biggest best buildings - lets go there! that kinda attitude...

just my perception of it dude, its also the main reason I don't go to church anymore - most of them seem like money machines to me.

when I attended catholic church in L.A. (eons ago) - it was a simple square bldg with a pulpit and pews and in addition to the sermons, meetings and other events were also held in there - they didn't have to have numerous large buildings to get the point across or maintain membership or make more productive followers of Christ, they were able to do it with a simple small building.

I tried out a church here when I first moved in and was blown away by the huge concert type stage that was setup - it wasn't what I was expecting.... heck with the super light show and music and such I half way expected the pastor to be lowered down by wires to make a dramatic entrance - it was more of a show then a sermon and I guess I'm just not used to church being run that way - Powerhouse Pub yes, but not a church.

It doesn't make sense to me, thats not about religion - thats about money and having bigger better things and religion should be about God, not about possessions, super light shows and large buildings but I guess thats what it takes these days to get people to attend.

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:55 AM

Median Family Income in the United States - $48,814
Median Family Income in Sacramento County - $51,921
Median Family Income in Folsom, CA - $86,710

So, $50k wasn't too far off, but Folsom is certainly higher smile.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#14 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 13 2006, 09:49 AM) View Post

no worries, I was just ranting cause I have a pet peeve with churches and the money donation requirements some have. It seems to dillute what religion should be about - it shouldn't be about money and having bigger better bldgs ---- it really shouldn't cost that much to talk to God.

It doesn't cost anything...that sounds like you don't have much experience with churches like Lakeside.

to me it seems like its a way to bait people to come in or leave another church to attend that one - whoever has the biggest best buildings - lets go there! that kinda attitude...

Maybe overstated but somewhat accurate I think. Churches do need people to attend in order to keep their doors open.

It doesn't make sense to me, thats not about religion - thats about money and having bigger better things and religion should be about God, not about possessions, super light shows and large buildings but I guess thats what it takes these days to get people to attend.

You can't blame the church for trying to keep pace with what interests people nowadays.

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 13 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post

Median Family Income in the United States - $48,814
Median Family Income in Sacramento County - $51,921
Median Family Income in Folsom, CA - $86,710

So, $50k wasn't too far off, but Folsom is certainly higher smile.gif

Thanks Mylo! Thats pretty much what I was thinking....that Folsom is a bit higher then the average median family income

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jun 13 2006, 09:57 AM) View Post

It doesn't cost anything...that sounds like you don't have much experience with churches like Lakeside.
Maybe overstated but somewhat accurate I think. Churches do need people to attend in order to keep their doors open.
You can't blame the church for trying to keep pace with what interests people nowadays.

You're right Chad, I haven't had much experience with churches like Lakeside or similar - the first time ever stepped into a church like that was two years ago and I only went a few times. My neighbors keep trying to get me to go to Lakeside with them - maybe someday I'll take up their offer and go check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users