#16 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 13 2006, 10:47 AM) View Post

You're right Chad, I haven't had much experience with churches like Lakeside or similar - the first time ever stepped into a church like that was two years ago and I only went a few times. My neighbors keep trying to get me to go to Lakeside with them - maybe someday I'll take up their offer and go check it out.

You're welcome there this Sunday. Why not give it a try? You may be pleasantly surprised to find there's only one thing going on there and it's preaching the truth salvation through Christ resurrected.

#17 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jun 13 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

You're welcome there this Sunday. Why not give it a try? You may be pleasantly surprised to find there's only one thing going on there and it's preaching the truth salvation through Christ resurrected.

Thanks Al, I know my neighbors will get me to go at least once to check it out... I'm just a bit gun shy right now about going because of prior bad experiences with other churches. I also think the 12 years of catholic school I had messed me up religiously, but regardless, I am a firm believer in God so please dont' take me wrong when I say I'm not into going to church and such.... maybe someday...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#18 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

#19 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

Good point AZ,

Dave, if you're serious about finding a chruch, there are plently of olde tyme smaller churches in town that might be more to your liking.

#20 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

aztransplant' date='Jun 13 2006, 03:13 PM' post='116294
Man! I need a HUGE raise! When I got relocated from Scottsdale, AZ to Folsom, CA I was told by HR that they compared Sacramento salaries to Scottsdale salaries and they are comparable so I would not be getting a raise to move here (they don't take into consideration the huge difference in cost of living - our house payment tripled for a smaller house on a much smaller lot). Mind you, I work for a non-profit so it's not like I made much to begin with . . .

dang, you got screwed, you definately should have gotten a raise just for coming into this state. the cost of living here is much higher then Arizona as you have found...

Back to the church issue, we just started attending a church in downtown Sac that meets every other Sunday at the Boys and Girls Club. The pastor doesn't draw a salary from the church, which I find very refreshing. The main emphasis is on BEING the church, rather than just GOING to church - the church is not the four walls. Here's something the pastor said: "We can come and enjoy worship, but that's not enough - it's not enough for the Holy Spirit to show up and say 'Man, this is cool.' If our lives aren't growing and changing - putting into active practice the things God is teaching us - there is no value." So, they meet just every other Sunday and the rest of the time we're supposed to be out there "doing the stuff."

that is definately very cool about that pastor - he sounds like a very good and smart one

We tried some larger churches and they weren't for us. We felt as if we were going to an entertainment venue. I know lots of people who really benefit from the big churches though, so I'm not saying they are "bad" or "wrong," just that they didn't work for us.

wow! thats exactly how I felt too - like I was going to a concert venue and not a church... I think I'm with you and the smaller places work better for me - its more what I'm used to

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jun 13 2006, 03:26 PM) View Post

Good point AZ,

Dave, if you're serious about finding a chruch, there are plently of olde tyme smaller churches in town that might be more to your liking.

Hey Chad, good suggestion, thank you - I do think that would be a more fitting setting for me and better because its more what I am used to in a church environment. I did see some cool old churches in the old town area that looked nice and somewhat more familiar to me

#21 JBCA

JBCA

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:46 PM

But...hey...um...does anybody know what happened to the Lexington Hills sign? I remembered coming home late one night like a month ago and some idiot had somehow planted his car in the planter that houses it. The sign looked fine the next day (from what I could tell) but I figure it might have something to do with it.

#22 Kermitlover

Kermitlover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

I saw that they fixed the bricks around the missing sign...maybe thats a "sign" tongue.gif for things to come.

#23 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

The new building is going to house high school and middle school activities for children. Lakeside, as well as many other churches in the area, are sustained purely on donations only. If I feel like donating, I do. If I don't, I don't. But I'm not looked down upon or scrutinized just because I haven't donated anything that month, or that year, for instance.

The children's activities on Sundays alone are very worth attending a service. Obviously your children's horizons are expanded in a broader sense that they would be in a "sterile" public school environment. The people are for the most part very sincere in attending, and who knows, you might make a new friend or two.

There are many, many activities for single people to do, as well as married couples, and complete families as well. Consider it your activity planner and see where it takes you.

#24 lexmom

lexmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

They finally fixed the sign!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#25 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

How much does Pastor Brad make at this church and is his total income shown to the members? Does he get a car allowance, travel, housing allowance that can add up.....I have been to this church and there are great people that attend there, however, I wish pastors couldn't draw a salary higher than the median or average income of a community...This would be an awesome standard....Nowadays these mega churches create entertainers that give you a latte and a sermon with a sideshow of various kinds of rock n roll church hymns....I think Lakeside has a great children's program, but lacks in authenticity and sincerity... Also, I don't like the way they give u a statement of how much u donated....Such bs....I guess so they can track the best members just like anything else in life...show me the money and I will show u the way......I was a member for a short time and when I called to see if someone could come to the hospital after my mom had a major stroke....oh, we don't do that.....go to your small group.....I wasn't in a small group so no one came...They did send a postcard that they were praying for her....Wow, how wonderful...maybe next time I can get an email......
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#26 netgirl

netgirl

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Aug 14 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

... Also, I don't like the way they give u a statement of how much u donated....Such bs....I guess so they can track the best members just like anything else in life...show me the money and I will show u the way......

I know sometimes churches provide a statement like this to you for your own tax records, since donations to non-profits are tax-deductible. They may have just been trying to help.
Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience getting support during a tough time.

#27 loosinggrip56

loosinggrip56

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 12 2006, 07:24 PM) View Post
And they are non profit ?????
I don't think any church is actually non profit and feel they should all be taxed.....

Comments....

since when did this topic become ignorant?
jon

#28 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Aug 14 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post
How much does Pastor Brad make at this church and is his total income shown to the members? Does he get a car allowance, travel, housing allowance that can add up.....I have been to this church and there are great people that attend there, however, I wish pastors couldn't draw a salary higher than the median or average income of a community...This would be an awesome standard....Nowadays these mega churches create entertainers that give you a latte and a sermon with a sideshow of various kinds of rock n roll church hymns....I think Lakeside has a great children's program, but lacks in authenticity and sincerity... Also, I don't like the way they give u a statement of how much u donated....Such bs....I guess so they can track the best members just like anything else in life...show me the money and I will show u the way......I was a member for a short time and when I called to see if someone could come to the hospital after my mom had a major stroke....oh, we don't do that.....go to your small group.....I wasn't in a small group so no one came...They did send a postcard that they were praying for her....Wow, how wonderful...maybe next time I can get an email......

I'm sorry this happened to you... I don't attend church anymore and have thought about going back... but these mega churches bother me...

I'm a single guy and don't have my boys around anymore so I would think this church would be great for families but what is it with this "small group" thing they do... ? do they put you in a group of other church members for some reason...? do they have their own separate meetings.. etc...?

What are the services like.. I'm a "confirmed Lutheran" which is almost like being Catholic and they used to be a pretty conservative church.. especially when I lived in the South and in Illinois...

#29 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(EDF @ Dec 25 2007, 01:03 PM) View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you... I don't attend church anymore and have thought about going back... but these mega churches bother me...

ditto, seems they are all about the money and not very much about the message

#30 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

I call em' Jesus in a box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users