Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Parent Of Preschooler - How Do U Keep Them Occupied All Day?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#31 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mylo, that is my point! Its only 12 hours. Take that 12 hours and do crafts with your child, enrol them in gymnastics, take them to park to play with other kids. Again, my issue is more with daycare than pre-school.... i just got carried away

My wife's a SAHM and I don't think a few hours of pre-school would prohibit crafts, gymnastics (my son loves bounceopolis) or the park. We're currently researching pre-schools for my son and strongly believe that the experience will simply amend his other daily activities.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#32 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the problem is parents feel guilty so they justify with studies....

No guilt at all. I weighed the evidence and acted appropriately based on what 99.9998% of it told me was the proper action to take.

Show me your study.

#33 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

Speaking as a SAHM who has her kid in part-time preschool, I think it's important, and staying home alone with me is not a substitute. I cannot interact with him the way other 3yo's do. He hates crafts at home, but when he is at school, he does them because it's part of the routine.

I'm debating about wasting my time posting, because I think you are just trying to stir the s---......

Kindergarten is not what it used to be. Kids have to hit the ground running on the first day. They need to know how to sit, follow directions, interact with other kids, write their name, cut with scissors, get along on the playground, etc.

Also, this may make me the worst parent ever (even though I quit a darned good job to stay home and parent), I need a break every now and then. My son needs much attention, and I cannot provide him the variety and structure he receives from his 2 hours of preschool. I also get to go to the gym, which makes me a MUCH healthier and happier mommy.

I figure that the 10 hours per week he not with me, is a small percentage compared to the rest of the time he IS with me.

#34 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Feb 23 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife's a SAHM and I don't think a few hours of pre-school would prohibit crafts, gymnastics (my son loves bounceopolis) or the park. We're currently researching pre-schools for my son and strongly believe that experience will simply amend his other daily activities.

Mylo, to each its own. I have more of a problem with daycare and that was my issue. This all started when a poster commented to drop kid off at pre-school because op coudnt find "things" to keep child occupied. That all.

#35 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Just curious, james1, are you a parent, more specifically, a stay-at-home parent?

#36 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Feb 23 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking as a SAHM who has her kid in part-time preschool, I think it's important, and staying home alone with me is not a substitute. I cannot interact with him the way other 3yo's do. He hates crafts at home, but when he is at school, he does them because it's part of the routine.

I'm debating about wasting my time posting, because I think you are just trying to stir the s---......
Kindergarten is not what it used to be. Kids have to hit the ground running on the first day. They need to know how to sit, follow directions, interact with other kids, write their name, cut with scissors, get along on the playground, etc.

Also, this may make me the worst parent ever (even though I quit a darned good job to stay home and parent), I need a break every now and then. My son needs much attention, and I cannot provide him the variety and structure he receives from his 2 hours of preschool. I also get to go to the gym, which makes me a MUCH healthier and happier mommy.

I figure that the 10 hours per week he not with me, is a small percentage compared to the rest of the time he IS with me.

Im really not...Every parent should read "stupid things parents do to mess up their kids " by dr larua. Good info

#37 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the problem is parents feel guilty so they justify with studies....

Read my post, I don't need studies to justify my decision, my experience so far has told me we made the right choice.

The studies are just icing on the cake at this point.
I would rather be Backpacking

#38 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im really not...Every parent should read "stupid things parents do to mess up their kids " by dr larua. Good info

Hmmm, haven't read that one, but I did read "Parenthood by Proxy." I listened to Dr. Laura for about 10 years. Ironically, I'm no longer able to listen because I'm not at work anymore. I'd never put her show on while I'm hanging out with my kids.

In all the times I listened to her, plus reading her book, I never recall her criticizing part-time preschool. I definitely know her opinion about daycare - which is why I worked part-time with my first, with may parents babysitting, and then recently quit work altogether with my son.

You should really show us something, other than a general comment from you, that says anything negative about part-time PRESCHOOL. We are not talking daycare here. 9-12 hours of preschool is very different from all day at daycare.

#39 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Feb 23 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious, james1, are you a parent, more specifically, a stay-at-home parent?

I really want you to answer this question, james1. It makes a big difference if you are able to walk the talk.

#40 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Feb 23 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I am....a 3 year old. My wife stays at home during day while I work and I come home and take care when she leaves to work at night. Its not easy but we are happy to do it! Its a sacrafice. We dont have the prettiest car or house, we dont get to eat out as much as we would like to but its sooooo worth it. WE get to raise our own kid-not a daycare.

#41 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Feb 23 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you hit the troll nail right on the head.

I was pretty curious to see what sort of educational study that someone who works at the Macaroni Grill knocked out. Turns out it was from reading a Dr. Laura book.

The thing is, Dr. Laura is against public schooling and the allegedly "liberal" agenda of state mandated preschool and its associated taxation. She also has great difficulty in differentiating between daycare and preschool, using the two terms interchangeably.

Dr. Laura quotes the same two studies I mentioned. Pretty much the only negatives in a sea of positives, and her opinion:

"Tearing children away from their homes and families for government-run, institutionalized learning programs that demonstrate absolutely no concrete benefit to the children is somewhere between sinister and cruel."

Clearly her mind was also made up, and she also chose the few straws of data that supported her personal opinion.

#42 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 23 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you hit the troll nail right on the head.

I was pretty curious to see what sort of educational study that someone who works at the Macaroni Grill knocked out. Turns out it was from reading a Dr. Laura book.

The thing is, Dr. Laura is against public schooling and the allegedly "liberal" agenda of state mandated preschool and its associated taxation. She also has great difficulty in differentiating between daycare and preschool, using the two terms interchangeably.

Dr. Laura quotes the same two studies I mentioned. Pretty much the only negatives in a sea of positives, and her opinion:

"Tearing children away from their homes and families for government-run, institutionalized learning programs that demonstrate absolutely no concrete benefit to the children is somewhere between sinister and cruel."

Clearly her mind was also made up, and she also chose the few straws of data that supported her personal opinion.

Thats a very nice thing to say. And working there put me thru college

#43 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I am....a 3 year old. My wife stays at home during day while I work and I come home and take care when she leaves to work at night. Its not easy but we are happy to do it! Its a sacrafice. We dont have the prettiest car or house, we dont get to eat out as much as we would like to but its sooooo worth it. WE get to raise our own kid-not a daycare.

Well, having both parents home at the same time is the best... I just can't believe how you two can never seem to be together with your child. It absolutely sickens me at how selfish this is.... rolleyes.gif

#44 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 23 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, having both parents home at the same time is the best... I just can't believe how you two can never seem to be together with your child. It absolutely sickens me at how selfish this is.... rolleyes.gif

We make the time. Its a sacrifice but well worth it

#45 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sure, read it, doesn't make it actually STUPID things parents do.... especially if she is saying not to send your kid to preschool for a few hours a week... what a joke. rolleyes.gif

Preschool is awesome for most kids. We waited until our son was almost 4 before preschool.... I wish we would have done it sooner!! He learned socialization skills the park and bounceopolis can not offer!

We did not notice how accustom he was to GROWN-UPS ONLY until he went to a "trial day" at the prescool, and when he saw the kids....

He said "mommy, what are they doing?"

Which surprised me, he did not know what they were doing... I said "awww, baby, they are playing"

he turned around, looked at me, and said very seriously, "that is ridiculous"

I knew right then and there I should have put him in preschool EARLIER!

I was a SAHM and we did go to the park, we did go out to the mall and play on the kids toys... it is NOT the same as Preschool!
<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users