How Sports Effects Kids?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Terry @ Mar 3 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But it doesn't help your spelling and grammar (affects instead of effects)......

really? a spelling reprimand?

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 3 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and do you view that as a good thing, or a bad thing?

as a parent, that's a good thing, as a boyfriend, that's a bad thing

#32 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Rickykicks @ Mar 3 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Playing sports got me more girls in high school! Kept me in shape.

Are you counting your cousins in that total?

#33 SacDJ

SacDJ

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

You're on a roll today.

That's why they call me butter.

#34 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (SacDJ @ Mar 2 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Music helps as well with math, reasoning and problem solving skills to be specific. Musicians as a group have a higher IQ than John Q. Public.

I must be smart as all hell then, cause I'm athletic and a musician... tongue.gif

#35 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Mar 3 2010, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you counting your cousins in that total?

Nope, just your sister.

Dude what's with the hate. I met a tone of girls in high school through sports and it helped me stay in shape?
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#36 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Rickykicks @ Mar 5 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, just your sister.

Dude what's with the hate. I met a tone of girls in high school through sports and it helped me stay in shape?

I was just rattling your chain, there isn't any hate. Your comment about playing sports in HS got you more girls, comes across as poor. Saying playing sports in HS opened lots of doors for you to meet other people, sounds a lot more enriching.

The girls you met in HS through sports probably don't appreciate you boasting about getting them.

#37 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (stacycam @ Mar 3 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if you are kidding or serious, so I'll take you at face value. It's a good thing. I don't want my teenage daughter having sex.

I was being serious, but I was taking what you said differently.

your statement said "Also, studies have shown that girls who are involved in sports as teens are less sexually active."

So I read that as active in sports as teens, less sexually active for the rest of their lives.(because it didn't say less sexually active as teens). As you can see, that really gives the statement a whole new meaning, like active in sports as teens kills their sex drive as adults.
I would rather be Backpacking

#38 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

Okay, Bill. I get your point. biggrin.gif I guess I should have said they are less sexually active during that time.

#39 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Mar 5 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just rattling your chain, there isn't any hate. Your comment about playing sports in HS got you more girls, comes across as poor. Saying playing sports in HS opened lots of doors for you to meet other people, sounds a lot more enriching.

The girls you met in HS through sports probably don't appreciate you boasting about getting them.

Insinuating that I was sleeping with my cousins isn't rattling a chain, it was picking a fight. Besides, if you read what I said it was that it helped me met girls, I never said anything about "getting with girls" that young.
Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#40 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Rickykicks @ Mar 5 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Insinuating that I was sleeping with my cousins isn't rattling a chain, it was picking a fight. Besides, if you read what I said it was that it helped me met girls, I never said anything about "getting with girls" that young.

I did read what you wrote, it said "got me more girls"

As a man, I gotta tell you your embarrassing the rest of us Gentleman by implying girls/women are there to be gotten. IMO, if a man speaks like that about women and thinks like that about women, then I really don't see any reason why they wouldn't feel like that towards their cousins.

Your choice of words was kinda backwoodsy, that is why I asked about your cousins.

#41 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

to get back on topic, how sports affects kids, from the CDC
Participation in high school sports helps promote a physically active lifestyle. High school sports participation has grown from an estimated 4 million participants during the 1971--72 school year to an estimated 7.2 million in 2005--06. However, despite the documented health benefits of increased physical activity (e.g., weight management, improved self-esteem, and increased strength, endurance, and flexibility), those who participate in athletics are at risk for sports-related injuries. High school athletes account for an estimated 2 million injuries, 500,000 doctor visits, and 30,000 hospitalizations annually.

There now, isn't that healthy.
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#42 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Inwit @ Mar 5 2010, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to get back on topic, how sports affects kids, from the CDC

There now, isn't that healthy.

I think that a stable family life, family activities can help keep kids connected w/parents, siblings. Sounds simple. I've had teens tell me that they are close to their parents because the parents spend time talking to them, checking in w/them on whats happening in their day, w/their friends, school, doesnt feel interrogating since its over yogurt, during a bike ride or shopping. Teens have also said that for some reason their parents just ignore them now that their older, or that they are always working and then too tired for anything. Theyve also said that they dont take vacations together anymore but they wish. Just telling you what has been told to me.

#43 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (giasmom @ Mar 8 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that a stable family life, family activities can help keep kids connected w/parents, siblings. Sounds simple. I've had teens tell me that they are close to their parents because the parents spend time talking to them, checking in w/them on whats happening in their day, w/their friends, school, doesnt feel interrogating since its over yogurt, during a bike ride or shopping. Teens have also said that for some reason their parents just ignore them now that their older, or that they are always working and then too tired for anything. Theyve also said that they dont take vacations together anymore but they wish. Just telling you what has been told to me.

My 8 year old son asked me to spend more time playing Wii with him. So last night, I was luigi on Mario Brothers. Not sure I helped him very much, but we at least played together.
I suck at video games.
I would rather be Backpacking

#44 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 8 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 8 year old son asked me to spend more time playing Wii with him. So last night, I was luigi on Mario Brothers. Not sure I helped him very much, but we at least played together.
I suck at video games.

Thats great!! Our 11 year old asked my husband to do the same thing and its been great to hear the two of them yelling/laughing. We also bought guitar hero, which has been fun for all of us, we can listen to songs we liked as teens and play w/our kids at the same time. We dont have Mario Bros but I hear its a lot of fun. . .

#45 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Mar 5 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did read what you wrote, it said "got me more girls"

As a man, I gotta tell you your embarrassing the rest of us Gentleman by implying girls/women are there to be gotten. IMO, if a man speaks like that about women and thinks like that about women, then I really don't see any reason why they wouldn't feel like that towards their cousins.

Your choice of words was kinda backwoodsy, that is why I asked about your cousins.

I would not consider someone who jumps to comments about cousins, when someone talks about girls in high a gentleman. IMHO if someone can not see the difference between a man thinking a certain way towards women is the same as thinking about incest with a cousin... well they're the ones who sound a little backwoods. But thats just me.

Your comment was completely out of context and indicative of someone suffering from an inferiority complex regarding high school. I expected better from your posts, clearly my expectations regarding your opinion have been severely lowered.

In regards to the original post, I am very glad to see so many people on here considering sports for their children and people who have seen the benefits of having your children in after school athletic activities.

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

Robert A. Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users