13 replies to this topic

#1 bsk

bsk

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

One week go I noticed smoke coming from under the hood and the engine got extremely hot. That being a Sunday, I took the car to Speedee in Folsom. I had taken my car a couple of times before to this place for an oil change. The manager took a look and said there is a crack on the raditator and it needs to be replaced. He went ahead and replaced with a new one. I paid $375 for this, which I assume is about the average for a new radiator. However, on my way back home, I noticed the engine getting hot again, so I took the car again for checking. This time he said there is a problem with the switch that turns the fan ON, and due to this the engine is getting heated up. He replaced the switch and charged another $80. The car was fine about 4 days andtoday (Saturday), I noticed smoke again from under the hood with the thermostat almost 80% hot. So I took the car again. This time there seems to be some leak and the coolant was sprayed all over the engine compartment. The manager now says there has to be complete diagnosis and it costs another $180 just for the diagnosis, and that I have to wait another 2 days for this as they are busy this weekend. I am starting to lose my trust on and I already paid $450 for this.

Do you have any recommendations on a good car mechanic, some one trust worthy and knows what they are doing, especially if you had similar experience with radiator/coolant leaks? Again tomorrow being Sunday, would help if they are open Sunday so I can have my car ready for next week.

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

They aren't open on Sunday, But Bob and the guys at OK Tire on East Bidwesll street are the only mechanics I will go to. They open at 7:30 on Monday. Good luck with your car whoever you go to.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

Auto Repair?     Used Folsom Motor Works on Comstock near the Middle School   since 1990.

You cannot do better IMO.     Excellence, honesty, knowledge, and they return broken parts.

#4 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

One week go I noticed smoke coming from under the hood and the engine got extremely hot. That being a Sunday, I took the car to Speedee in Folsom. I had taken my car a couple of times before to this place for an oil change. The manager took a look and said there is a crack on the raditator and it needs to be replaced. He went ahead and replaced with a new one. I paid $375 for this, which I assume is about the average for a new radiator. However, on my way back home, I noticed the engine getting hot again, so I took the car again for checking. This time he said there is a problem with the switch that turns the fan ON, and due to this the engine is getting heated up. He replaced the switch and charged another $80. The car was fine about 4 days andtoday (Saturday), I noticed smoke again from under the hood with the thermostat almost 80% hot. So I took the car again. This time there seems to be some leak and the coolant was sprayed all over the engine compartment. The manager now says there has to be complete diagnosis and it costs another $180 just for the diagnosis, and that I have to wait another 2 days for this as they are busy this weekend. I am starting to lose my trust on and I already paid $450 for this.

Do you have any recommendations on a good car mechanic, some one trust worthy and knows what they are doing, especially if you had similar experience with radiator/coolant leaks? Again tomorrow being Sunday, would help if they are open Sunday so I can have my car ready for next week.

What kind of car?     Did you run it hot for awhile?  Check the thermostat first.  Has it been running rough and water drip  coming from the exhaust?    You could have a head gasket leak where exhaust gases from the engine are entering the cooling system.    

#5 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

Another vote for Folsom Motor Works.

As for your problem.

Try simple first. Check your oil. If there is any water/coolant in the oil, you have a very expensive repair coming (head gasket/cracked block) . Also, check your coolant for oil in it (do not open hot). While looking for oil in the coolant, check the coolant level. If the coolant level is low, you have a leak.

If there is no water in the oil, or oil in the water, it could be as simple as a sticking thermostat  A thermostat does not allow water to circulate through your engine until it warms up to operating temperature. Sometimes they can stick or fail and will restrict your coolant circulation causing overheating.

Another possibility is a bad water pump. Not very common, but they do go out sometimes. I can't believe they didn't replace the thermostat with the radiator and/or suggest a water pump replacement as well.  I had all of that replaced on my old truck that had 250k on it. The radiator was a little rusty but still working, the water pump was fine and the thermostat was as well. I just went for the complete cooling system overhaul because of the mileage.

Most thermostats are only a few dollars, and the labor should be cheap as they are easy to access and usually only 2 bolts. Good luck! I certainly wouldn't go back to the first guy...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#6 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

They aren't open on Sunday, But Bob and the guys at OK Tire on East Bidwesll street are the only mechanics I will go to. They open at 7:30 on Monday. Good luck with your car whoever you go to.

+1. You will get the right answer and fair treatment. It's all about trust with these repair shops. You can trust Bob and his crew.

#7 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Bob is nice man and runs an old fashioned-style car shop. They can do many things...but for brakes, you should go to a brake shop. No offense to Bob, but brakes are a specialty.

#8 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

Bob is nice man and runs an old fashioned-style car shop. They can do many things...but for brakes, you should go to a brake shop. No offense to Bob, but brakes are a specialty.

No offense to you, but brakes are one of the simplest items to repair on a car. Bob can't do everything, but he is most definitely capable of doing brake repairs.
Why are we talking about brakes, anyway???

#9 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:41 PM

Dimeracers,   Brake specialty shops are more specialized in servicing brakes   They have the latest equipment to turn rotors, brake arcing, etc.    Less specialized shops can do brakes but are limited in just replacing whole brake parts which can cost more.   There are now machines that turn rotors on the vehicle which saves time and the  car owner money.   

j6PdBtE.jpg

#10 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Dimeracers,   Brake specialty shops are more specialized in servicing brakes   They have the latest equipment to turn rotors, brake arcing, etc.    Less specialized shops can do brakes but are limited in just replacing whole brake parts which can cost more.   There are now machines that turn rotors on the vehicle which saves time and the  car owner money.   

j6PdBtE.jpg

No argument that specialty shops are more specialized 😜 However, it's about the trust factor with me, and that was actually what the OP was asking about. Jiffy Lube specializes in oil changes, but I prefer Bob do my oil. I don't trust Jiffy Lube, as they live for the upsell. Lots of brake shops are known for recommending unneccesary work too. You can 100% trust that Bob will not recommend unnecessary work. That can certainly save you a lot of money. Lastly, to imply that all he can do is change parts is not a fair or even an accurate statement.

#11 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

Tyto, you nailed it. Thank you. I would have handled it, but you explained it perfectly.

For that other guy attempting to equate brake jobs with oil changes, all I can say is, "oh my God". He'll learn the hard way, I guess.

Happy Easter, folks !!

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

No argument that specialty shops are more specialized However, it's about the trust factor with me, and that was actually what the OP was asking about. Jiffy Lube specializes in oil changes, but I prefer Bob do my oil. I don't trust Jiffy Lube, as they live for the upsell. Lots of brake shops are known for recommending unneccesary work too. You can 100% trust that Bob will not recommend unnecessary work. That can certainly save you a lot of money. Lastly, to imply that all he can do is change parts is not a fair or even an accurate statement.

that is exactly how I feel.  Bob and the guys are honest, fair, extremely knowledgable and i wouldn't go anywhere else.  

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#13 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Tyto, you nailed it. Thank you. I would have handled it, but you explained it perfectly.

For that other guy attempting to equate brake jobs with oil changes, all I can say is, "oh my God". He'll learn the hard way, I guess.

Happy Easter, folks !!

What do brake jobs have to do with the OP asking for a trustworthy mechanic to help with an overheating issue? Why are we still talking about brake jobs? It seems you are looking for an argument. I used to post here somewhat often, but I quit because of the trolls that just want to incite problems and arguments. I thought I'd chime in here with a constructive recommendation for this person having car problems. How do you see your contributions helping anything at all?

#14 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Dimeracer,  I want all the Folsom Car Shops to do well.  At the same time want people that are not too mechanically inclined to have some information about their mechanical problem before they go to the shop.   I have not heard anything negative about anyone in town concerning automotive repair from my end.   I do think there is more to doing brake service on certain vehicles.    That is where the more specialized brake shops are needed.   

I also hope the person with the overheating issue had their car repaired. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users