63 replies to this topic

#31 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

My 9 year old does this.... he talks just to hear himself speak....

#32 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 9 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now there's a quote to shoot down supermom's:

ok-I strted thinking about this:

Perhaps the bikers aren't bringing their own bikes, tires, or replacement parts now that the airlines are so restrictive on baggage.

That could account for some money being spent in the local economies.

Kinda, iffy, though.

#33 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 9 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok-I strted thinking about this:

Perhaps the bikers aren't bringing their own bikes, tires, or replacement parts now that the airlines are so restrictive on baggage.

That could account for some money being spent in the local economies.

Kinda, iffy, though.

Isn't the hotel tax around 12%?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#34 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 9 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the state.

Break it down.

To local mom and pop joints.

Not chains. Not flights.

Subtract time and money lost on ordinary citizens.

Subtract time and money lost on local businesses that have to close.

Add in--taxes and fees levied on the AMGEN tour association.

How does this help the local economy?

"City boosters expect the tour will have a significant economic impact, pouring about $8 million into local coffers. That money will go for meals, hotel rooms and other amenities for the cyclists and their entourages, the media and spectators.
They also hope Sacramento will reap a whirlwind of great publicity when the tour is broadcast on TV—both in this country (it will be shown on the cable channel Versus) and around the world. The race’s organizers designed the course to show the riders against a “beautiful backdrop.” Either the Capitol or Tower Bridge will be in just about every shot, they promise."

http://www.sacmag.co.../Tour-de-Force/

#35 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Feb 9 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't the hotel tax around 12%?

Very good point!!

QUOTE (aztransplant @ Feb 9 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"City boosters expect the tour will have a significant economic impact, pouring about $8 million into local coffers. That money will go for meals, hotel rooms and other amenities for the cyclists and their entourages, the media and spectators.
They also hope Sacramento will reap a whirlwind of great publicity when the tour is broadcast on TV—both in this country (it will be shown on the cable channel Versus) and around the world. The race’s organizers designed the course to show the riders against a “beautiful backdrop.” Either the Capitol or Tower Bridge will be in just about every shot, they promise."

http://www.sacmag.co.../Tour-de-Force/

I'm starting to like this!! How much do you think could trickle our way?

#36 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

None....it is all going to some CEO from Citibank to spend on his $15,000.00/night room in the Hamptons.

#37 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (MikeinFolsom @ Feb 9 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
None....it is all going to some CEO from Citibank to spend on his $15,000.00/night room in the Hamptons.

whah?

bwha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

#38 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (folsombound @ Feb 9 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get the negativity about the Tour of California in this thread. Bike racing is a huge deal in Europe and this is the biggest bike race in the US. Most of the communities that are hosting the event (start, finish, prologue, time trial) are thrilled with it. It is no more disruptive than a marathon or a 10K or other race or charity event. But, because it brings out big names and celebrities, it brings in big $. If you don't enjoy the events, stay away from the venues for a day, no big deal! But overall, get a grip! smile.gif

+1000 folsombound! Couldn't said it better.

-2000 supermom. If ya don't have something positive to say, please keep it to yourself. There are a lot of local and national cycling fans who will be watching this race. Besides, it inspires young and old to get out and ride for fun, exercise or competition which is a good thing.

I recall the excitement watching Greg LeMond in a race in South Lake Tahoe mid or late 80s and seeing him ride so swiftly down Pioneer Trail towards Stateline. I think it was one of the early Markleville Death Rides that did 5 monster passes including Monitor, Ebbetts and came through SLT to Daggett (Kingsbury Grade). Oh now look what that started with annual Death Rides, two Tour Around Lake Tahoe, SLT to Virginia City rides and OatBran Ride from SLT to UT\NV border and several more.

#39 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 9 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I go to the big hill on Iron Point near Costco for fun... that is a killer hill.

That should be renamed cardiac hill for cyclists but I see people riding up it chugging along without stopping all the time.

#40 FolsomResident2002

FolsomResident2002

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 9 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Terrible hills?! wacko.gif

The horror of it all, Folsom isn't flat rolleyes.gif

With the miles & miles of fairly flat bicycle trails over most of this town, I fail to see how a few subdivisions being in slightly hilly terrain makes this town unfriendly towards bicyclists.
I thought most cyclists liked a workout and the hills definitely help with that, but I can do a fairly flat 5 mile loop in the Parkway and I'm just hitting a small area of our town.

My old neighborhood was more relaxing for riding around the neighborhood. Since I am not a bike enthusiast I don't like biking to be "work." smile.gif I have to admit I haven't tried the bike trails because I don't want to bike on the trails by myself for safety. Once the weather gets better I'll try the bike trail. Thanks.

#41 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 9 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I go to the big hill on Iron Point near Costco for fun... that is a killer hill.

Try Alexandra (?) sometime...I think that's the name, it's off Sophia Parkway. Makes Iron Point look flat!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#42 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Feb 9 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That should be renamed cardiac hill for cyclists but I see people riding up it chugging along without stopping all the time.

The first time I rode up that hill I thought I'd die before reaching the top. Seeing as I was clipped into my pedals, the only thing that kept me going was the thought that I was going too slow to get clipped out in time to keep from falling over if I stopped . . . so I just kept going . . .

Each time after that first climb has gotten easier, so that now it really doesn't seem like much of a climb at all. And, it's short-lived. Nothing like the 5+ mile climbs I've done elsewhere. Personally, I'll take uphill over downhill any day -- I like the challenge of the uphills, but the downhills scares me! ohmy.gif And riding on the flats all the time gets boring and creates a sore bum!

#43 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Feb 9 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1000 folsombound! Couldn't said it better.

-2000 supermom. If ya don't have something positive to say, please keep it to yourself. There are a lot of local and national cycling fans who will be watching this race. Besides, it inspires young and old to get out and ride for fun, exercise or competition which is a good thing.

I recall the excitement watching Greg LeMond in a race in South Lake Tahoe mid or late 80s and seeing him ride so swiftly down Pioneer Trail towards Stateline. I think it was one of the early Markleville Death Rides that did 5 monster passes including Monitor, Ebbetts and came through SLT to Daggett (Kingsbury Grade). Oh now look what that started with annual Death Rides, two Tour Around Lake Tahoe, SLT to Virginia City rides and OatBran Ride from SLT to UT\NV border and several more.

Get a grip----I started this thread---you don't like it--go away--start your own.

But, (onto the second part of your post)

It is good to have a hero--now and then.

That in itself I suppose--could be another Positive reason for racing (I'm still not liking the whole--in the middle of the street thing, though.)

#44 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 9 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get a grip----I started this thread---you don't like it--go away--start your own.

But, (onto the second part of your post)

It is good to have a hero--now and then.

That in itself I suppose--could be another Positive reason for racing (I'm still not liking the whole--in the middle of the street thing, though.)

Wow! Classy lady.

#45 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Feb 9 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! Classy lady.

hey... where did your other thread go???
<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users