T

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

I'd LOVE to have a Irish bar within walking distance!

#3 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Excuse my stupidity.....are you saying that a "Dolan's Lounge" is opening at 199 Blue Ravine (near Lotus 8)?  (I guess I don't understand what "T" means in Ducky's post)??

#4 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

On a related topic Doyle's Pub and Taproom just opened at 312 E. Bidwell. I haven't been there, but I will check it out soon.

http://www.doylespubandtap.com/

"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

Excuse my stupidity.....are you saying that a "Dolan's Lounge" is opening at 199 Blue Ravine (near Lotus 8)?  (I guess I don't understand what "T" means in Ducky's post)??

Ducky's original post said more- - I saw it earlier...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

Ducky's original post said more- - I saw it earlier...

It did.  I was in the middle of re-writing it and got interrupted.  Sorry, everyone.

Leenda has the correct address in her post.

I just thought it was interesting because it was being called a bar, which I assume means they don't serve food?

Which would be in contrast to Doyle's (thanks knittychick) that just opened.

Just curious, what's the difference between an Irish bar and a regular bar? 

#7 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

Repost please? (what did it say)?

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

Repost please? (what did it say)?

Wow, and here I didn't think anyone read my posts or found them that interesting.

I don't remember exactly, but it was just that there is a planning commission meeting on September 2 at 6:30 for some sort of variance for Suites 160 and 170 because I don't think it's zoned for a bar.

#9 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Oh, come on, Ducky, of course I read your posts....and I'd love to see a pub open up in that vicinity.  But, I have a feeling that if it's going before the Planning Commission (which I didn't realize), it's probably going to face a lot of opposition from the NS folks (my skepticism comes from the opposition that came from the proposed liquor store that was being considered a while back next to Taco Loco).  But, notwithstanding that, I personally would like to see something like that go in down there.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

Oh, come on, Ducky, of course I read your posts....and I'd love to see a pub open up in that vicinity.  But, I have a feeling that if it's going before the Planning Commission (which I didn't realize), it's probably going to face a lot of opposition from the NS folks (my skepticism comes from the opposition that came from the proposed liquor store that was being considered a while back next to Taco Loco).  But, notwithstanding that, I personally would like to see something like that go in down there.

Thanks, Leenda.  

I don't have feelings one way or the other.  I wish anyone well that is brave enough to start a business.

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

It did.  I was in the middle of re-writing it and got interrupted.  Sorry, everyone.
Leenda has the correct address in her post.

I just thought it was interesting because it was being called a bar, which I assume means they don't serve food?
Which would be in contrast to Doyle's (thanks knittychick) that just opened.

Just curious, what's the difference between an Irish bar and a regular bar? 

Hmmm. How to quantify the difference.... IMHO, Irish pubs are for locals. It's social, not a party scene. You go to talk/socialize, not to dance and/or be seen. The bartender is more than just the person serving you drinks. You play games. You drink, but it's not just about slamming as many shots as you can and thinking that the drunkest person there is the coolest. They are usually small, too.

And St Patrick's Day is a blast.

At least that's what I think of when I think of Irish bars (in the US) from my experiences in Chicago.

#12 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Hmmm. How to quantify the difference.... IMHO, Irish pubs are for locals. It's social, not a party scene. You go to talk/socialize, not to dance and/or be seen. The bartender is more than just the person serving you drinks. You play games. You drink, but it's not just about slamming as many shots as you can and thinking that the drunkest person there is the coolest. They are usually small, too.

And St Patrick's Day is a blast.

At least that's what I think of when I think of Irish bars (in the US) from my experiences in Chicago.

Sounds kind of Disney.

I get the convenience of walkability.  What makes it different from Sam Horne's or Churchill Arms?

If they don't serve food, then they will technically be the second bar in Folsom.  If my memory is correct, the only other place that holds that distinction is Sutter Club.

Before that, there was The Bank Club and the other place that was opened in the KFC (El Pollo Loco) center when someone won some lottery money.  I forget now what it was called.

#13 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

Sounds kind of Disney.

I get the convenience of walkability.  What makes it different from Sam Horne's or Churchill Arms?

If they don't serve food, then they will technically be the second bar in Folsom.  If my memory is correct, the only other place that holds that distinction is Sutter Club.

Before that, there was The Bank Club and the other place that was opened in the KFC (El Pollo Loco) center when someone won some lottery money.  I forget now what it was called.

Sam Horne's is Irish Bar-esque. Churchill Arms is way too big to personable enough and more about getting hammered. Neither are actual Irish pubs. Can't quite tell you the difference. You have to live it to get it.

#14 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

Sam Horne's is Irish Bar-esque. Churchill Arms is way too big to personable enough and more about getting hammered. Neither are actual Irish pubs. Can't quite tell you the difference. You have to live it to get it.

I beg to differ.  I go to Churchill Arms for an occasional fish & chips and manage to not get hammered.  I see a lot of others doing the same.

Whatever.  I wish the best to Doyle's and Dolan's and whoever else is brave enough to take on fickle Folsom.

#15 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:07 PM

Whatever.  I wish the best to Doyle's and Dolan's and whoever else is brave enough to take on fickle Folsom.

And on this we agree. :)

I'll buy you a pint at Dolan's one night, should it come to fruition. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Business

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users