Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Parent Of Preschooler - How Do U Keep Them Occupied All Day?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#16 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

I agree with bunny on this one. A few hours of socialization out of the house is more beneficial than being with a parent all day every day. I'm personally opposed to full-time daycare, but for a 3.5 y/o, a few hours a week in pre-school is good, IMO.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#17 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

Kids need interaction with other kids before kindergarten... it is vital to their development.

#18 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 22 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldnt disagree more with your disagreement. Spending a few hours a day, a few days a week in an environment where the child is involved with taking direction from an authority figure other than their parents, interacts with the same group of children to help develop relationship/social skills and...oh...the actual learning...is enormously beneficial.

Its also very helpful in getting them acclimated to a school environment before they find themselves spending 5 days a week at kindergarten.

This has been enormously beneficial to my son, who was 3.5 when he started. Couldnt recommend it more. We're sending him back again next year for 3 or 4 days a week of preschool.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but I couldn't agree more with your disagreeing with James1 disagreement.

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 23 2009, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kids need interaction with other kids before kindergarten... it is vital to their development.

And a complete 100% ditto to what Chris V said.
I would rather be Backpacking

#19 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 22 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have opinions as well. When mine differ from others, I usually dont make comments like "Yours sickens me". Unless, of course, they're real judgmental bozos.

My opinions are backed up by both endless studies that show that preschool benefits a child from day one and that the benefit persists throughout their lives, and my personal observations of the positive effects preschool has had on my child.

What are your opinions based upon, before I feel queasy and barf on them?

I do respect your opinions. And I have mine as well. Im sorry but it does sicken me when parents rather drop kids of with "strangers" than spend time with them. And there are endless studies that show pre-school/daycare are not benefical for the child. Please do research- I have done mine...

#20 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, I can almost understand if both parents work (and still disagree) but when the parent is "available" to spend time and take care of their child there should be no need for pre-school or daycare. Its our job as parents to be the " authority" figure. There will be plenty of time interacting once they get into kindergarten. This is a crutial time in a childs life and they need to be with a parent. Cmon, Is there even a question? This is the problem with our society today, we rather "ship" our kid off to daycare than spend time with them!

Wow, I'm sorry to say, this seems like an unbelievably ignorant statement.

Other posters are correct: numerous studies demonstrate the life-long academic and emotional gains to a child to have socialization and learning outside the home before kindergarten. I think if you ask many kindergarten teachers, they will grimace when asked about children who have never been to preschool and tell you that those children tend to be behind-- not only academically, but (more important) in understanding the social mores of the classroom.

This says nothing of the benefits to a parent of having a few hours a week without the toddler in tow. Remember, parents are people, too.

I am open-minded enough that if a parent wishes to homeschool for preschool (and is really committed to what that involves), I won't criticize that choice. Go for it, if that floats your boat!

But there is no question that preschool is incredibly beneficial to preschoolers, moms, and (therefore) families.

#21 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 23 2009, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1000 I agree. But that does not mean a child has to go to pre-school. Take your child to the park, activities (trix, little gym) and have them interact with kids.

#22 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

http://www.inlandemp...efits_0808.aspx

Indeed, more than nine out of 10 kindergarten teachers throughout California believe it is important for children to attend preschool before kindergarten, according to a 2005 statewide poll of California public school kindergarten teachers. The poll, conducted by Peter D. Hart Research Associates, was initiated by the advocacy group Preschool California (preschoolcalifornia.org), which supported a failed ballot initiative in 2006 to provide free preschool to all 4-year-olds in California whose parents chose to enroll them.

The poll found that:
> Ninety-five percent of teachers said children who attended preschool are better prepared to start kindergarten and are more ready to learn.
> Eighty-eight percent said they spent extra time working on basic skills with the children who did not have the benefit of preschool, which resulted in these teachers having less time to spend with more advanced students.
> Ninety-three percent said they could tell, without looking at student records, which children in their classrooms had attended preschool, based on their behavior and skills.

#23 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Feb 23 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I'm sorry to say, this seems like an unbelievably ignorant statement.

Other posters are correct: numerous studies demonstrate the life-long academic and emotional gains to a child to have socialization and learning outside the home before kindergarten. I think if you ask many kindergarten teachers, they will grimace when asked about children who have never been to preschool and tell you that those children tend to be behind-- not only academically, but (more important) in understanding the social mores of the classroom.

This says nothing of the benefits to a parent of having a few hours a week without the toddler in tow. Remember, parents are people, too.

I am open-minded enough that if a parent wishes to homeschool for preschool (and is really committed to what that involves), I won't criticize that choice. Go for it, if that floats your boat!

But there is no question that preschool is incredibly beneficial to preschoolers, moms, and (therefore) families.

I think your statement is the one that is ingnorant. I have done my studies and that is why Im so animated about this topic. However, this speaks more about daycare than pre school. Folks, Ask yourself one question: "If you were going to wake up tomorrow as a 3 year old, would you choose to be raised by a day care center, nanny, pre-school rather than your own mother?" If so, get back to me!

#24 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your statement is the one that is ingnorant. I have done my studies and that is why Im so animated about this topic. However, this speaks more about daycare than pre school. Folks, Ask yourself one question: "If you were going to wake up tomorrow as a 3 year old, would you choose to be raised by a day care center, nanny, pre-school rather than your own mother?" If so, get back to me!

We're not talking about full-time daycare here. We're talking about a few hours a week in a pre-school environment. The parents are still raising the kids.

#25 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Feb 23 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're not talking about full-time daycare here. We're talking about a few hours a week in a pre-school environment. The parents are still raising the kids.

You are right, as mentioned, I am speaking of daycare more than pre school.

#26 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are right, as mentioned, I am speaking of daycare more than pre school.

QUOTE ( @ Feb 20 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At 3 1/2, I would investigate putting her in preschool for, say, three half-days per week.

I have found it to be very beneficial and stimulating for children that age to have an environment other than home -- complete with fun teachers, new friends, new toys, etc. 3 1/2 is definitely old enough to spread one's wings beyond home.

I could not disagree more! Shipping your kid off to a pre-school at 3 1/2 is crazy especially when a parent is available to spend time with the child- Comments like this sicken me...

"three half-days" is not dropping the kid off to be raised by daycare. That's barely 12 hours a week, if that.

#27 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (james1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never went to Pre-School.

I remember my first day of Kindergarten, my mom walked me to school, then she left, I cried and when I got a chance, I ran away from school and walked myself back home.

I'm pretty sure it was 3 days of this before I finally stayed and spent the whole morning at Kindergarten. I know it was a traumatic experience for me, to be suddenly dropped off with a whole bunch of strangers.

My son started daycare/pre-school at 6 months old because both my wife and I work full-time. And while there was a part of me that was concerned as to how much time he was spending away from home, I can tell you, he was never traumatized by being dropped off.

He is now in the first grade, doing very well, and I no longer have 2nd thoughts about any ill effects by being partially brought up by the daycare staff, in fact, I always have to think that Ms Fouzia did a wonderful job of helping my son get potty trained. He has always known who his parents are.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't do it any different.
I would rather be Backpacking

#28 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

From one of the most sophisticated studies, which followed people through 40 years of life with or without preschool:

"The study found that adults at age 40 who had the preschool program had higher earnings, were more likely to hold a job, had committed fewer crimes, and were more likely to have graduated from high school than adults who did not have preschool."

http://www.highscope...p?ContentId=219

Hundreds of other highly detailed studies have shown that kids with just a year of part time preschool were more likely to get better grades throughout their educational life, more likely to go to college, and more likely to get better paying jobs.

The only bone I pick at some of these studies is that I want to know if parents with smart kids were more likely to send them to preschool, weighing the cause and effect balance a little. I also wonder if parents willing to send their kids to preschool are more interested in their childrens education and more affluent. Both of those could also bend the cause and effect characteristics.

Available studies saying there are negatives to preschool are fairly slim. One study noted that preschoolers are more likely to catch colds and flu. Certainly a very good reason there to inhibit a childs education and development, but it didnt take into consideration regular trips to chuck e cheese. Another study, run by the outfit that lobbies for homeschooling (obviously an unbiased source) found that children under the age of 3 that are sent to preschool for 15 or more hours per week developed more social issues. I havent seen too many kids sent to full time preschool when they're 2, so this study seems like a great big steaming pile of "Let me see if I can do a study, publish a headline that says "Preschool is bad for kids" and hope to god nobody reads the actual article. Another study proved that sending your child to a bad preschool with poor teachers was a negative influence. The same study outfit later proved water to be wet, and hard to breath under.

I do however, find it fascinating that some individual on the internet did "his own study" and came to a negative conclusion so diametrically opposed to massive, conclusive available information. Where can I get a copy of this study?

#29 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Feb 23 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"three half-days" is not dropping the kid off to be raised by daycare. That's barely 12 hours a week, if that.

Mylo, that is my point! Its only 12 hours. Take that 12 hours and do crafts with your child, enrol them in gymnastics, take them to park to play with other kids. Again, my issue is more with daycare than pre-school.... i just got carried away

#30 james1

james1

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 23 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From one of the most sophisticated studies, which followed people through 40 years of life with or without preschool:

"The study found that adults at age 40 who had the preschool program had higher earnings, were more likely to hold a job, had committed fewer crimes, and were more likely to have graduated from high school than adults who did not have preschool."

http://www.highscope...p?ContentId=219

Hundreds of other highly detailed studies have shown that kids with just a year of part time preschool were more likely to get better grades throughout their educational life, more likely to go to college, and more likely to get better paying jobs.

The only bone I pick at some of these studies is that I want to know if parents with smart kids were more likely to send them to preschool, weighing the cause and effect balance a little. I also wonder if parents willing to send their kids to preschool are more interested in their childrens education and more affluent. Both of those could also bend the cause and effect characteristics.

Available studies saying there are negatives to preschool are fairly slim. One study noted that preschoolers are more likely to catch colds and flu. Certainly a very good reason there to inhibit a childs education and development, but it didnt take into consideration regular trips to chuck e cheese. Another study, run by the outfit that lobbies for homeschooling (obviously an unbiased source) found that children under the age of 3 that are sent to preschool for 15 or more hours per week developed more social issues. I havent seen too many kids sent to full time preschool when they're 2, so this study seems like a great big steaming pile of "Let me see if I can do a study, publish a headline that says "Preschool is bad for kids" and hope to god nobody reads the actual article.

I do however, find it fascinating that some individual on the internet did "his own study" and came to a negative conclusion so diametrically opposed to massive, conclusive available information. Where can I get a copy of this study?

I think the problem is parents feel guilty so they justify with studies....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users