29 replies to this topic

#16 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:34 AM

Whomever takes away the "voice" of their dog is just pure EVIL or at the least completely uneducated about the negative affects of doing so....
Lets take out your larnyx and see how you like it......The dog will probably have psychological problems after and then maybe it will pee every where....What r u going to do then, give it a catheter? PLEASE for the love of dogs, give it away and do us all a favor!
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#17 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Sep 26 2008, 03:49 PM) View Post
Why should this topic be less than worthy to discuss?

Because it was a troll. And yooooooou bit.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#18 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

Dogs are meant to bark but the barking can be a nuisance to neighbors if it happens frequently. While a "troll" started this thread it is a good reminder to all animal owners that we should do the best we can to provide our animals with love and care. One of my dogs taught himself how to play tetherball this summer so I put up a makeshift set so he can be entertained while I am at work. tongue.gif

#19 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

Ugh, I've been trying to resist this trollfest, but I guess I'm weak.

Please for the love of god, do some research before getting a dog. Some breeds are prone to barking, some breeds are prone to digging, some breeds are prone to jumping. With a mixed breed, its a crapshoot, but you can kinda get an idea of what group they belong to (hunting dogs, working dogs, terriers, toys, etc.)

I would guess that 80-90% of nuisance barking is caused by doggie-boredom. No, I don't have the research at the tip of my fingers to back that up, but I have read much about it. Please, feel free to do your own research.

Modern dogs today seem to not get the exercise they need. Many breeds were meant for all day workouts, not for all day couch snoozes. Unfortunately, many families get a dog based on looks, or what they had as a kid. (Can you play with a dog all day as an adult like you did when you were a kid?) Some people may say that dogs that end up in shelters/rescues are problem dogs, must much more likely it is that the original humans did not get the right dog (or animal, really) for their living situation.

My knee-jerk reaction to debarking is that is it (poorly) fixing the symptom, and not doing anything about the reason. Is it cruel? I'm not sure. I'm not a dog person. I don't know enough dog psychology/physiology to determine. But I do know that it's not like neutering (huge behavioral and health benefits) or tail docking (minor health benefits, some breed have tails that are prone to being broken, that's not fun) or ear cropping (no real benefits unless you have a fighting dog, which is illegal in Ca. But no real detractions either)

#20 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(MrsTuffPaws @ Sep 27 2008, 06:28 PM) View Post
Ugh, I've been trying to resist this trollfest, but I guess I'm weak.

Please for the love of god, do some research before getting a dog. Some breeds are prone to barking, some breeds are prone to digging, some breeds are prone to jumping. With a mixed breed, its a crapshoot, but you can kinda get an idea of what group they belong to (hunting dogs, working dogs, terriers, toys, etc.)

I would guess that 80-90% of nuisance barking is caused by doggie-boredom. No, I don't have the research at the tip of my fingers to back that up, but I have read much about it. Please, feel free to do your own research.

Modern dogs today seem to not get the exercise they need. Many breeds were meant for all day workouts, not for all day couch snoozes. Unfortunately, many families get a dog based on looks, or what they had as a kid. (Can you play with a dog all day as an adult like you did when you were a kid?) Some people may say that dogs that end up in shelters/rescues are problem dogs, must much more likely it is that the original humans did not get the right dog (or animal, really) for their living situation.

My knee-jerk reaction to debarking is that is it (poorly) fixing the symptom, and not doing anything about the reason. Is it cruel? I'm not sure. I'm not a dog person. I don't know enough dog psychology/physiology to determine. But I do know that it's not like neutering (huge behavioral and health benefits) or tail docking (minor health benefits, some breed have tails that are prone to being broken, that's not fun) or ear cropping (no real benefits unless you have a fighting dog, which is illegal in Ca. But no real detractions either)

FWIW my neighbor has debarked all 3 of her dogs and they seem no worse off than before.

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#21 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Sep 27 2008, 07:01 PM) View Post
FWIW my neighbor has debarked all 3 of her dogs and they seem no worse off than before.

So your neighbor's dogs no longer bark (noiselessly) all day? That's great. Nice to hear a success story once in a while. From what I've read, the dogs many dogs may be further traumatized by having their barks unrecognized. But I'm glad that it worked out in your neighbors case. I'm sure it was a last resort.

#22 Malibu_Adam

Malibu_Adam

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

If you cant have your dog barking (whether its your neighbors complaining, or u are irritated by it) then you don't need to own a dog. If you really love your dog, and deserve to own one, then you will do anything you can to not harm your dogs well/natural being and move, or work something out with your neighbors..

Get a gerbil u jerks.

#23 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(MrsTuffPaws @ Sep 27 2008, 07:32 PM) View Post
So your neighbor's dogs no longer bark (noiselessly) all day? That's great. Nice to hear a success story once in a while. From what I've read, the dogs many dogs may be further traumatized by having their barks unrecognized. But I'm glad that it worked out in your neighbors case. I'm sure it was a last resort.

Hey I didn't say I condone it, ease up will ya. If you'd like to talk to her personally let me know and you can get the answers from her. She's kinda wacky and would just love to provide you details that support why she did it.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#24 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

Is there a proven method for training a dog to not bark?

Rather than attacking each other how 'bout you guys think about how to help the poster with other ideas if you disagree with surgery?

ps. I won't presume to know a lot about all breeds of dogs--but I have never heard of docking a dogs tail because they are more prone to breaking.

I have heard however, of people docking tails because they don't want to regularly trim the hinies of long haired dog. I have also heard of people docking dogs tails to make the dog prettier or more aggressive looking. All three reasons are poor excuses if you have committed to the care of the dog.

I'm not necessarily going to be judgemental about those reasons, though.

But I do concur with the multiple posters responses in trying to engage the dog activities to help curb the barking.

What about a bong toy? Hiding treats in the back yard ( if an outdoor dog )? Ask a helpful neighbor to come over and spend some time with the pooch a few minutes each day? A good raw hide might help engage the dog in other behavior besides barking.

ps. I saw a neighbor use an electric collar on their two small dogs. The dogs bark more now, than ever before. I would definitely do your homework and make sure you understand how the collar is a training tool and not a punishment--before using it on the dog.

#25 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Sep 29 2008, 10:14 AM) View Post
Rather than attacking each other how 'bout you guys think about how to help the poster with other ideas if you disagree with surgery?

Maybe because the poster doesn't have a dog and won't ever be back on this forum cuz this post + the other 5 by Mickey_featherspoon or whatever were all garbage meant to inflame others.
I would rather be Backpacking

#26 TellT2Day

TellT2Day

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

Yes, a dog first needs to have a reason to bark. So you need to teach the dog to "speak", on command. Our dog now will only bark if we give it the command.

#27 FirstKnight

FirstKnight

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Interests? My interests are my children, my beautiful wife and living each day as if it was my last.

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

We were golfing at the course here in Folsom and heard a small dog with his bark removed. It was the saddest sound. This little dog, was going nuts but sounded like his throat was broken.

When we first got our dog, we lived in an apartment. We taught her not to bark. When my kids were born, she started barking when my wife and kids are home and I am not if she didn't feel comfortable when someone comes up the driveway. i like it because she is protecting my family.

If you don't want to hear the dog bark, try teaching it. If you don't want to try teaching it, don't have a pet, because you obviously don't have time for it.

#28 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

Very sad sad.gif

#29 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(FirstKnight @ Oct 17 2008, 05:08 PM) View Post
If you don't want to hear the dog bark, try teaching it. If you don't want to try teaching it, don't have a pet, because you obviously don't have time for it.

best answer right there - outstanding!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#30 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

www.barkbusters.com Training, no surgery!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users