26 replies to this topic

#1 toyrosie

toyrosie

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello -

Does anyone know what the CC&Rs state regarding outdoor TV antennas? We're dumping our satellite service.

Thanks!

#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (toyrosie @ Feb 3 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello -

Does anyone know what the CC&Rs state regarding outdoor TV antennas? We're dumping our satellite service.

Thanks!

Where do you live? If you're in Natoma Station you'll be ok but if you're in the Parkways you're in trouble.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Feb 3 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where do you live? If you're in Natoma Station you'll be ok but if you're in the Parkways you're in trouble.

I'm assuming Willow Springs... since this is in the Willow Springs section... rolleyes.gif

#4 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (toyrosie @ Feb 3 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello -

Thanks!

There is something about them, but there are many (including us) that have them. Ours is tucked away at the back of our house, so no one can see ours'. That isn't always possible, though.

I think it is more aimed at someone that is looking to install something huge, like you'd see on an older home built in the 50s-70s. I'm not an expert on this, but you're not going to get in trouble with the typical DISH/ Direct TV satellite receiver.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

I live in Briggs Ranch and our CC&R's were written to be misleading, but if you read and interpret the whole thing, it turns out it is almost meaningless.

It starts off in bold capital lettering:
ABSOLUTELY NO ANTENNAS ARE ALLOWED,

and then it goes on in regular printing after the comma with:

except if the antenna only services electronics within the house yada yada yada, and then rambles on some more about "recommendations" for placement etc. After reading it several times very carefully I came away with my interpretation.

I can put any darn antenna up on my roof or anywhere else for that matter as long as it only services equipment in the house. So I put a small HAM radio antenna up on my roof and it is not obnoxious, but if I was into the lower HAM bands, I could put an antenna farm up if I wanted to, as long as it wasn't a "repeater" in which case it would be providing a service to other HAMs, i.e. equipment not in my house. I also interpret it that if I put a TV outside the house connected to a roof antenna, that would be a violation as well (for not being inside the house).

I don't know how your CC&R's are worded, but I know the BR one was written to basically scare people away from putting up antennas, but in no way violated FCC's position that they are the only ones who can regulate antennas.
I would rather be Backpacking

#6 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

Another option is to put the antenna in the attic, if you've got one big enough.

I put a humongous antenna in my attic in my old house that had cc&r's that didnt allow tv antennas. Hung it from the rafters with twine pointed in the right direction. Even had electricity and the house cable wiring handy to hook up an amplifier and plumb it into the existing coax wiring.

This knocks a little of the pickup off, but since you can go with a really big antenna, its well compensated for. I was in EDH by the lake behind a huge hill and I pulled in everything. Wont work if you have a metal roof or metal reinforced clay tiles or shingles. I had a shake roof.

The other way you can go and be unobtrusive now that everything is going to be digital is to use one of the new flat antennas like this one:

Paint it the same color as your house and attach it in a good spot. Obviously you wouldnt get away with this on the front of your house but on the side/back or on a chimney it'd probably be invisible from the street.

You an also make your own digital/HD antenna out of some PVC, wood, coat hangers, wire and/or oven cooking racks. Google home-made antenna for plans and videos.

Another option if you have a really big evergreen tree is to place an antenna about 20' off the ground attached to a thick branch and run the coax over to the house. I've seen this done a couple of times and its impossible to see the antenna.

#7 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Find the biggest ugliest antenna you can and bolt it to the front of your roof. Then, when neighbours complain, replace it with a reasonable sized one where you want it. They'll be ecstatic the ugly one is gone and you'll get exactly what you needed to begin with smile.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#8 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

Here is a snippet I found years ago regarding antenna installation. The FCC regulations supercede any CC&R's. Homeowners' organizations have limited authority in the matter, and you can complain the the FCC if they give you a hard time. I have a modest, externally mounted antenna.

As directed by Congress in Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air Reception Device Rule concerning governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), multichannel multipoint distribution (wireless cable) providers ("MMDS"), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").
The rule is cited as 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 and has been in effect since October 14, 1996. It prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.
The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single-family homes.
The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair, as well as restrictions needed for safety or historic preservation. In addition, the rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners. Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in common areas are enforceable.
On November 20, 1998, the Commission amended the rule so that it will apply to rental property where the renter has exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio. The effective date of the amended rule is January 22, 1999.

#9 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (stangage70 @ Feb 4 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a snippet I found years ago regarding antenna installation. The FCC regulations supercede any CC&R's. Homeowners' organizations have limited authority in the matter, and you can complain the the FCC if they give you a hard time. ...

My friend here in Folsom fought his HOA using this ruling. He installed an old-fashioned roof antenna. Sure enough, the HOA tried to say he was in violation and started fining him. After months of citing the FCC rules and explaining to them that the HOA has no authority in the matter, he filed papers to take them to court. The HOA lawyer all-of-a-sudden came to his senses and corrected the HOA.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#10 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

CCRs without an HOA are unenforceable unless a majority of the CCRs members sign a petition to enforce the CCRs on you.

Do the right thing by treating your neighbors as you'd want to be treated and you'll likely encounter no issues.

The 10 Golden Rules. They always work well.

#11 toyrosie

toyrosie

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 4 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm assuming Willow Springs... since this is in the Willow Springs section... rolleyes.gif

Yes, Willow Springs! biggrin.gif

#12 toyrosie

toyrosie

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

Thanks everone for your responses. I appreciate all the information. We are certainly concerned about keeping the neighbors happy...I'm kinda liking the idea of starting with a big ol ugly antenna out front and then replacing it with a nicer looking one. lol

Seriously, though, I forgot about the attic option and I think we will investigate the flat antenna and look at painting it to match the house. That just might work.

While reading online, I understand that there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna and that some TVs may require the converter box to receive the HD signal with the upcoming digital changes.

Do any of you have any prefrences on brand? I'm told that Weingard is supposed to be a reputable company. what are you thoughts on this? Also, is anyone using an attic antenna in Folsom with good reception?

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (toyrosie @ Feb 4 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everone for your responses. I appreciate all the information. We are certainly concerned about keeping the neighbors happy...I'm kinda liking the idea of starting with a big ol ugly antenna out front and then replacing it with a nicer looking one. lol

Seriously, though, I forgot about the attic option and I think we will investigate the flat antenna and look at painting it to match the house. That just might work.

While reading online, I understand that there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna and that some TVs may require the converter box to receive the HD signal with the upcoming digital changes.

Do any of you have any prefrences on brand? I'm told that Weingard is supposed to be a reputable company. what are you thoughts on this? Also, is anyone using an attic antenna in Folsom with good reception?

I'm using an FM radio only antenna in the attic for a garage stereo and it works well. The best connection for TV's to antenna is to connect a 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer right at the antenna and run RG-59 cable from there to the TV. It is far better than running the unshielded 300 ohm twin lead from the antenna to the TV set.
I would rather be Backpacking

#14 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Yep, there is no such thing as an "HD antenna" since any UHF/VHF antenna will work, however most digital tv stations broadcast on UHF, and many common rooftop antennas emphasize VHF over UHF since most analog channels broadcast in VHF.

So an antenna that would work best for HD would emphasize UHF and maybe have a decent VHF piece if the stations decide to move to a VHF band 10 or 15 years from now.

I'm not sure if any Sac broadcasters are going to broadcast in VHF since I get satellite these days.

By the way, I've seen folks take those flat type antennas, around 2'x3' in size, and just put them behind their tv cabinet or a dresser and pull in pretty good signal if they're not too far from the broadcast towers. If you're in the folsom area you're not too far.

Several of the Sac broadcast channels are also expected to boost their signal strength a few months after the conversion is done. That should expand their full signal reach to about 50-60 miles from Sac.

#15 toyrosie

toyrosie

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 4 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using an FM radio only antenna in the attic for a garage stereo and it works well. The best connection for TV's to antenna is to connect a 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer right at the antenna and run RG-59 cable from there to the TV. It is far better than running the unshielded 300 ohm twin lead from the antenna to the TV set.

Thanks for the tip - we'll do that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users