#16 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (relocateca @ Jul 15 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are from Kansas City. Thank you for the information. I think we will rent an apartment first as you said then shop around for houses and school.

Dan

I'm going to assume you aren't a Bears fan, we already have enough of them around!

You might want to check out Creekside Apartments, centrally located and the bike trail runs alongside of it. I don't know what School the kids go to if you live there. In the past, due to growth, the school boundaries changed frequently.

We'll want to know your favorite BBQ sauce recipe, pleaase send it out in advance.

Stay on the forum and you'll have plenty of friends when you get here, even more if your sauce is any good!

#17 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Doesn't Creekside have a little more than its fair share of crime/undesirables (at least by Folsom standards) ?

#18 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

What does Kansas City have to do with the Chicago Bears??

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Jul 15 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to assume you aren't a Bears fan, we already have enough of them around!

You might want to check out Creekside Apartments, centrally located and the bike trail runs alongside of it. I don't know what School the kids go to if you live there. In the past, due to growth, the school boundaries changed frequently.

We'll want to know your favorite BBQ sauce recipe, pleaase send it out in advance.

Stay on the forum and you'll have plenty of friends when you get here, even more if your sauce is any good!

#19 relocateca

relocateca

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jul 15 2010, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is some info you might consider:

Briggs Ranch NO mello roos
Lexinton hills I'm not sure, but I don't think so on Mello Roos taxes
Broadstone definitely had mellos roos, I presume they still do
Empire Ranch homeowners association (extra rules and quarterly fees, not to mention fines for leaving your trashcan out front, some people like HOAs, some don't)
there are at least two gated communities in folsom if you want that or want to avoid that
One is hillcrest with expensive homes (even higher HOA fees than the rest of Empire Ranch), the other is I forget what it is called but it's in the Natoma Station area near the store outlets, smaller more modest size and affordable homes than Hillcrest.

This doesn't cover all of the neighborhoods in Folsom, just the ones I know about.

Oh yeah, the Parkway has the best access to the bike trails in the humbug-willow creek area, I don't think it is in the HOA boundary of Empire Ranch, but I think they do have Mello Roos. maybe someone on here from the Parkway can verify or correct me on that.

Thanks Bill for the information. I'm looking at Willow Springs too.

#20 relocateca

relocateca

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Jul 15 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm used to be Kansas City Chiefs fan but no longer since they keep losing and the price keep going up. Too many favorite BBQ sauces here. Usually, I just buy from their shops because they are better than what I made....heee

#21 relocateca

relocateca

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Jul 15 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like has been said already, all of Folsom is great. Each area just has different home styles, age of homes, etc. We began the search for a new home last month. We started by looking in all the neighborhoods that had a house available that matched our needs (size, price, etc.). As we found areas that we liked more/less than others, for whatever reason (value, HOA costs, neighborhood design, home styles, etc.), we started focusing our search on the areas we like.

I would highly suggest doing the same thing so you don't limit yourself from the get-go. We actually found a couple of houses in an area that we weren't even planning to look at because, on paper, it didn't seem to be an area we would like. So you never know what will give you that tingly, "this is the one!" feeling.

It's not in the HOA boundary of ER, but it is in their own Parkway HOA area that is significantly higher cost and, from what I hear from friends, more restrictive in its rules.

Thank you SacKen for the suggestion. We will rent an apartment and the starting looking around the neighborhood during weekend when we relocate over there on Oct. Do you live in a rental home/apartment now? I try to search for an apartment/home in Folsom with good school. Please let me know after you find your dream house so that I will look at that area too.

#22 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (mikat @ Jul 15 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't Creekside have a little more than its fair share of crime/undesirables (at least by Folsom standards) ?

I've never heard that about crime and know some poeple who love there who enjoy living there. Its a great location and their grounds are well maintained. Its about as centrally located as you can get in Folsom and there isn't any busy streets where you will be bothered by traffic noises.

I would suspect that reported incidents might be higher in Apartment complexes simply because you have higher densities of people living there.

I'd live there if I was looking for an apartment to live in, that is why I suggested it.

#23 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

Welcome to Folsom and MyFolsom.com! I'm sure you will fall in love with this town, I have no doubt about it. Let us know when you move in so we can come over for some famous KC BBQ! Ha ha

#24 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

I own a home. Prior to that, I rented for a few years at the Overlook Apartments (1200 Creekside Dr.). I think that the property itself is the best one in Folsom. Large apartments, some with vaulted ceilings, lots of trees, and many units back to wetlands. We had a creek behind us and saw wild turkeys and deer almost every morning. I like how the property is spread out, so it doesn't have that big open, treeless, parking lot apartment feel.

That said, this was 10+ years ago. While the property is still nice, I've heard that the management has been pretty bad lately. I don't know for sure if this is the case. It could be crappy tenants that just think they get treated poorly. Who knows...

As for the schools, all of Folsom has some of the top schools in the State. So you should be fine regardless of where you land.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#25 FolsomMom50

FolsomMom50

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

Parkway is a nice area to live but there are HOA and mello roos fees. HOA is $345/quarter and Mello Roos is $100 month, I think. But the upside is you don't have to mow or weed your front lawn (or nag the husband to do it). Priceless.

#26 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (FolsomMom50 @ Jul 24 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the upside is you don't have to mow or weed your front lawn (or nag the husband to do it). Priceless.

Ugh, I'm the one that does all the lawn mowing and weeding at our house. How can I flip those roles and be the nagger instead of the naggee?

#27 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (FolsomMom50 @ Jul 24 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Parkway is a nice area to live but there are HOA and mello roos fees. HOA is $345/quarter and Mello Roos is $100 month, I think. But the upside is you don't have to mow or weed your front lawn (or nag the husband to do it). Priceless.

I am also in the Parkway and I love the fact that the front yard is taken care of, the HOA is always quick to react when I call about dying plants, the front watering system that blew last week, etc and every year when the grass starts to turn brown on everyone's lawn it is soon green again. There will never be a car parked on a front lawn, tacky signs, excessive flags of any type of holiday, feeling, event, and overdone dying potted plants etc.

#28 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jul 15 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lexinton hills I'm not sure, but I don't think so on Mello Roos taxes

Oh yeah, the Parkway has the best access to the bike trails in the humbug-willow creek area, I don't think it is in the HOA boundary of Empire Ranch, but I think they do have Mello Roos. maybe someone on here from the Parkway can verify or correct me on that.

No Mello Roos or HOA in Lexington Hills. We do have an additional fee attached to our property taxes to pay for communal landscaping, but its like $100/ year or something. We also have easy access to multi-use trails (not just Bikes! LOL!) and wetlands.

#29 toyrosie

toyrosie

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

We love Folsom and the Willow Springs area. We have no HOA and it is very family friendly. We love the trails and parks. I agree with others in that most of the areas in Folsom are great. I would avoid living near Old Town as it is a very busy area with events and many visitors parking on the streets which could be annoying as a resident in that area. You might also consider meetup.com for activities for you and your family in this area. Folsom is fantastic, you will love it. Welcome!

Karen

#30 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

We live in Empire Ranch and love it. Depending on which area of ER you would be in, your children would either go to Empire Oaks or Russell Ranch, both of which are outstanding elementary schools. They both then go to Folsom Middle School and then Vista del Lago HS--again these are top rated schools. Empire Ranch is REALLY big, so the "village" you live in inside of ER will determine a lot of things...there are smaller, more affordable homes and then much larger, more expensive homes. Lots of choices. 2 areas of ER are gated: Provance (production homes off E. Natoma) and Hillcrest (custom homes off Golf Links). There are several great parks, access to the trails, and views of the lake from some parts of ER. We also have Empire Ranch golf course, if you want to live on a golf course.

Anyway, you will love Folsom...welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users