76 replies to this topic

#31 B&G

B&G

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Maybe if you lay into one day.. ( let he have it real good respectfully) she just might leave you alone. But I would never accomadate her wished on my own property...

#32 hv975

hv975

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

I was in my backyard cleaning up. My dog was running around and as soon my dog barked as she yelled over the fence. I put the dog in the house and she complained that he barks at all hours of the day and night and that she called animal control on me. Funny cause my dog is indoors and kennel trained when I'm at work. He also sleeps in the room with me. If he barked all night, I would most certainly notice and I told her that. I was previously warned about this neighbor and I said, "Oh, I heard about you". Her reply, "You don't know anything about me, you need to get a life, Princess".

Again, I would never claim that 50 was old, but her actions are those of the stereotypical, miserable, cranky, old, spinster ladies.
QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 26 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, but why not be the person who makes the effort first? I speak from experience. If you try and it doesn't work, at least you tried. life is short. be nice.

okay, just to play devil's advocate. what situation provoked her to say, "get a life, princess."

and, come on, spinster at 50? that's harsh. smile.gif

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (hv975 @ Jul 26 2010, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in my backyard cleaning up. My dog was running around and as soon my dog barked as she yelled over the fence. I put the dog in the house and she complained that he barks at all hours of the day and night and that she called animal control on me. Funny cause my dog is indoors and kennel trained when I'm at work. He also sleeps in the room with me. If he barked all night, I would most certainly notice and I told her that. I was previously warned about this neighbor and I said, "Oh, I heard about you". Her reply, "You don't know anything about me, you need to get a life, Princess".

Again, I would never claim that 50 was old, but her actions are those of the stereotypical, miserable, cranky, old, spinster ladies.

okay, well, maybe saying, "Oh, I heard about you," wasn't the best thing to say the first time you talked to her. sounds like she's cranky and you were defensive and then she was defensive right back. that said, she lives in a neighborhood and if she wants perfect peace and quiet, she needs to move to an acre somewhere and live in the country. the suburbs are made for lawn mowers, dogs barking and kids playing. sorry you have to live next door to that. I would still be civil though, just because you want to enjoy your own home too. she sounds like a sad person really. hang in there!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 hv975

hv975

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (B&G @ Jul 26 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe if you lay into one day.. ( let he have it real good respectfully) she just might leave you alone. But I would never accomadate her wished on my own property...

I have never cussed her out. In fact, I believe I was being fair, calm and reasonable in my responses to her nagging. She has never once tried to speak calmly to me. I guess she never learned that you attract more bees with honey. I've tried the honey approach and she still flings the poo.

#35 hv975

hv975

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (folsom500 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to know- I always thought Sat and Sunday were 8am- let the blowers go at 7 am - I can get done a lot earlier if I start early - and for those that do not know - we have our issues with the neighbors on both sides ... Their issues - not ours - LOL

Now as far as restrictions- is there a decibel level for after 10 ? ALL noise cannot possibly be restricted ...

The cop said it was 8am for blowers, power tools, etc. And yeah...all noise cannot possibly be restricted or we'd all be allowed to shoot the birds for making noise. Could she complain to the cops if I had a coughing fit at 7am? What is reasonable to one may not be to others. If it isn't habitual noise, then just deal with it, right??

#36 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (tgianco @ Jul 26 2010, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with you. If you're just sweeping, the other neighbor can go pound sand.

THAT'S my answer. Sweeping and clippers are of very little noise and IMHO considerate.

I also did yard work over the weekend and started at 8am with raking and clipping then later with gas and electric power tools so that I would avoid the mid 90s heat...not so much the temp as it is the direct sun burning me up.

As to tax dollars...yeah totally agree. Layoffs, budgets in the red and id10ts like this jump to calling the cops. Hopefully FPD told her to close her window, watch TV or listen to the radio and not to waste their time.

#37 2kids4me

2kids4me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

I say ignore her and let her call the cops. As long as you aren't really doing anything wrong, she will look the fool.

My neighbor's dog barks in the middle of the night (2am-4am) every single day, and I would never consider calling the cops. Although, someday I may just yell out to them to STFU!

#38 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (hv975 @ Jul 26 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never cussed her out. In fact, I believe I was being fair, calm and reasonable in my responses to her nagging. She has never once tried to speak calmly to me. I guess she never learned that you attract more bees with honey. I've tried the honey approach and she still flings the poo.

It sounds to me like you've done what you can and it also sounds like you are a considerate and nice neighbor. It's too bad the old acting hag has to be so mean and nasty towards you and the other neighbors. I've dealt with people like that before too and often nothing you can do will ever make them happy. They are just born unhappy and miserable and want everyone around them to be just as miserable too.

You tried, I'd leave it at that and try to ignore her - and the next time she gets nasty and mean and yells at you (or sprays the hose over the fence etc), remind her you have the right to be up and living outside between 7am and 10pm, if she cannot deal with that then perhaps she should move to a remote cabin in the woods where there will be nobody around to bother her.

I wonder if its possible to take legal action against a neighbor who is being a jerky nuisance like that? She has been giving this person a hard time at all hours of the day - come on, complaining about playing music at 11am or talking in the backyard?? (again, its called living) That's just asinine.

If this sour old acting hag chooses to live entirely behind her walls in complete destitute silence that's fine, but don't let her push that bs on everyone and expect people to stop living just because she has.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#39 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jul 26 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if its possible to take legal action against a neighbor who is being a jerky nuisance like that? She has been giving this person a hard time at all hours of the day - come on, complaining about playing music at 11am or talking in the backyard?? (again, its called living) That's just asinine.

I have some friends who moved into a nice neighborhood in east sac. all very civilized and lovely homes. they liked to listen to click and clack, the car talk guys on saturday mornings (10 am to 11 am) while they worked in their backyard. the neighbors hated it and complained bitterly. then the neighbors started complaining about my friends' dogs barking during the day when they were gone. so my friends put out a tape to record and see if the dogs barked (which they only did when the neighbors threw water at the dogs to incite them). it turned into a really REALLY expensive and extremely stressful legal battle. in the end, my friends moved to a place that backs up to the American River and lived happily ever after. neighbor fights are never good, but it goes from bad to nasty when it turns into a law suit.

#40 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 26 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neighbor fights are never good, but it goes from bad to nasty when it turns into a law suit.

Ain't that the truth. I have some feuding neighbors (both are nice to me though) and it has come down to a lawsuit, and I believe a restraining order as well. Another neighbor told me that the cops have come at least 20 times in the last 2 or 3 years for petty disputes between them before we moved in.

#41 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 26 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have some friends who moved into a nice neighborhood in east sac. all very civilized and lovely homes. they liked to listen to click and clack, the car talk guys on saturday mornings (10 am to 11 am) while they worked in their backyard. the neighbors hated it and complained bitterly. then the neighbors started complaining about my friends' dogs barking during the day when they were gone. so my friends put out a tape to record and see if the dogs barked (which they only did when the neighbors threw water at the dogs to incite them). it turned into a really REALLY expensive and extremely stressful legal battle. in the end, my friends moved to a place that backs up to the American River and lived happily ever after. neighbor fights are never good, but it goes from bad to nasty when it turns into a law suit.

Your friends should not have had to move, that neighbor should have been slapped with a nuisance suit and made to pay all the legal fees and been court ordered to act like an adult instead of a baby (heh if such a thing existed). That was pathetic, people like that really suck, I feel sorry for your friends - and the OP here - for having to deal with such jerks. What the heck compels people to be so hateful and mean? - and really, people like that should go live in a very far off remote place that is miles from civilization.

Nobody should have to put up with that. Any reasonable living noises between 7am and 10pm are legal - the law supports that, and that should be the end of the story whenever there is a conflict.

#42 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jul 26 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your friends should not have had to move, that neighbor should have been slapped with a nuisance suit and made to pay all the legal fees and been court ordered to act like an adult instead of a baby (heh if such a thing existed). That was pathetic, people like that really suck, I feel sorry for your friends - and the OP here - for having to deal with such jerks. What the heck compels people to be so hateful and mean? - and really, people like that should go live in a very far off remote place that is miles from civilization.

Nobody should have to put up with that. Any reasonable living noises between 7am and 10pm are legal - the law supports that, and that should be the end of the story whenever there is a conflict.

I feel sorry for them too, but the law suits never turn out the way you expect them too. Everyone thinks they're right and the other party is wrong. So you get lawyer$ involved and it starts to add up and then you go to mediation (also $$$) and you end up with no satisfaction. My friends suffered through this for over 18 months and finally decided life was too short and that neighborhood wasn't all that anyway. they're happy now.

sucks though, doesn't it? I'm glad my neighbors are GREAT!!

#43 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 26 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sucks though, doesn't it? I'm glad my neighbors are GREAT!!

Amen to that!

I just don't get how anyone can complain or have any legal recourse against someone who's making reasonable living noises in their own yards within the given hours allowed by law....

#44 hv975

hv975

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jul 26 2010, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amen to that!

I just don't get how anyone can complain or have any legal recourse against someone who's making reasonable living noises in their own yards within the given hours allowed by law....

I don't understand these cranky neighbors either. These people obviously never learned how to pick and choose their battles. Some things aren't worth creating sour relationships over. ie...the ONE time in 3 years that I decide to do my yardwork before 10am or the notes left on my door telling me that the dog poop smell from 2 days of non-scooping is unbearable (from my 20lb tootsie roll pooping dog). If she would speak WITH me and not AT me, things may be different, but she has already created a hostile environment with her unrealistic demands and completely false accusations. Would be quite sad if she begged for help rather than be a good neighbor, I decide to utilize the time to pick up the dog poop.

#45 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (hv975 @ Jul 26 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My visiting mother was happily snoozing in a bedroom (window open) about 5 feet from where I was sweeping. Choosing to have an open window during any hour of the day, you assume the risk of hearing any outside noise. 7:30am may be early and inconsiderate to you, but so would 8pm outdoor chatter to a person who gets to bed early for their early morning work shift. I cannot accommodate the needs of everyones different schedule nor should it be expected. It may not have gotten to 100 degrees outside, but you can't assume that I would be available later on in the day to do the work that needs to get done nor could you expect me to want to be out at that hour. Being that yardwork at that hour is not an everyday or even a monthly occurrence, the reasonable thing to do to keep peace was just to simply close her window. She refused to make those accommodations and choose to fight about it.

Honestly, I think she is completely overreacting. I think if I were your neighbor I would shut the window - and if it bothered me THAT MUCH, I would pay you a visit and explain the reason I so desperately need sleep at that hour (with her window open - maybe she's trying to keep her a/c bill down?). Sometimes just explaining it in a neighborly way makes the situation less hostile. I am more apt to try to accommodate someone if I am asked nicely or they have a good reason...

I'm just sayin.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users