21 replies to this topic

#1 mom2knk

mom2knk

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

Greetings Folsom Forum!

I'm a SAHM of a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old. I am currently looking for a preschool (not daycare) for my 3.5 year old. We've looked at some private schools in town and are shocked at how expensive they are. We've looked into some public programs and they all seem to be full and/or have waiting lists. I am wondering if anyone can lead me in the direction of a good, affordable preschool in Folsom- public, private or in-home that is accepting new students for the Fall school year.

Thanks so much for any help!

#2 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

I found the same thing. Hugely expensive private schools, lots of small in-home preschools that would only take a few kids at a time but were reasonably priced, and the public option. Most anyone with a good reputation had at least a 2 year backlog.

We put in a lot of apps and the public school option worked out for us.

What a hugely complicated extravaganza finding and figuring out the preschool thing. I finally came to the conclusion that for families with multiple kids who know other families with young kids, one person figures it out and tells everyone else. My wife and I are older parent and none of our friends has small kids. So I got stuck sorting it out on my own.

One thing I can tell you is that most require your little one to be potty trained. Another is that many of the private schools recommended 2 days a week (non consecutive) for 3-4 year olds and 3 days a week (non consecutive) for 4-5 year olds. Many did tues-thurs for the 3 year olds and mon-wed-fri for the 4 year olds. The public school wanted us to go a full 5, but we stuck with the 2 days this year. That seems to be about all he can handle.

The one thing that may work in your favor is that because of the bad economy, a lot of people are pulling their kids out of preschool or planning to not send them next year.

#3 Talulah Belle

Talulah Belle

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

I know that a local moms group (Sierra Moms) has just completed a preschool directory for their members. I don't believe that it is available to the public but for the $40 annual membership it is very worth it. Plus you would be able to ask this same question to 200+ moms in the area on their forum. www.sierramoms.org.
BTW I am a huge fan of Joy of Children Preschool. My son has been there for 2 years, great program and staff. 916-608-9277

#4 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

I know a lady that has a pre-school only out of her house....
Her name is Martha Duran....Petite Scholars-353-0379
Give her a call...

#5 youllneverknow

youllneverknow

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

Have you tried Fun Factory through Folsom Parks and Recreation. I believe sign ups for their lottery are coming up real soon. They are reasonably priced and I think a nice mix of structure/free time. Also if you live in Natoma Station are you willing to drive to Orangevale? There are a few good choices there and much less expensive. From Folsom Blvd and Blue Ravine it takes less than 10 minutes.

#6 mom2knk

mom2knk

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thank you so much for the numbers and names in response to my post! I'll give both a call and see if anyone has room for one more kiddo! I have talked to the director at Parks and Rec but she wasn't too encouraging in us landing a space for an incoming 4 year old. The current 3 year old students take the first spots and if there are any spots left, it's by lottery. Thanks again everyone!!

#7 MnT

MnT

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Have you looked at the Child Development Center at Folsom Lake College? It's a really nice program and is reasonably priced.

#8 jennyjen

jennyjen

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

Kids Kount is super. It is next to the Tricks building at the Gathering Place. It's connected to the church but not overly religious. The teachers have been there a long time and the director Rachel is sooooo nice. Infants to pre-K.

#9 Zanzan

Zanzan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

If you don't mind a Christian preschool, First Covenant Preschool in Rancho Cordova is wonderful. They are extremely reasonable (since they use the church facility they don't have to pay for a stand-alone building) and I think they may have an opening. My daughter has attended for 2 years and I have no complaints, except that it is not in Folsom and it is a 15 minute drive from my house to it (Hwy 50/Sunrise blvd exit). A lot of my daughter's classmates also live in Folsom.

I think their prices are: $198/mo for 3 year olds and $248/mo for 4 year olds.
Phone number is 861-2240 and Miss Dawn is the director.

Good Luck!

#10 Sherri Berry

Sherri Berry

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (mom2knk @ Feb 2 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you so much for the numbers and names in response to my post! I'll give both a call and see if anyone has room for one more kiddo! I have talked to the director at Parks and Rec but she wasn't too encouraging in us landing a space for an incoming 4 year old. The current 3 year old students take the first spots and if there are any spots left, it's by lottery. Thanks again everyone!!

Hi.

I am a credentialed teacher and run a preschool out of my house. It's called the Berry Patch! I have a couple of openings for next school year. E-mail me if you are still looking for a preschool. smile.gif

Thanks!

- Sherri Berry.
berrypatch4u@sbcglobal.net

#11 MeTooAcademy

MeTooAcademy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (mom2knk @ Feb 2 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings Folsom Forum!

I'm a SAHM of a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old. I am currently looking for a preschool (not daycare) for my 3.5 year old. We've looked at some private schools in town and are shocked at how expensive they are. We've looked into some public programs and they all seem to be full and/or have waiting lists. I am wondering if anyone can lead me in the direction of a good, affordable preschool in Folsom- public, private or in-home that is accepting new students for the Fall school year.

Thanks so much for any help!

Our preschool program is full but I have heard AMAZING things about "Joy Of Children" in Folsom. They recently had some spots open up, not sure if they are still open but its worth a shot.
Good Luck

#12 dori2u

dori2u

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

The Berry Patch is amazing. We LOVE Sherri Berry!!!!

#13 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (MeTooAcademy @ Apr 8 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our preschool program is full but I have heard AMAZING things about "Joy Of Children" in Folsom. They recently had some spots open up, not sure if they are still open but its worth a shot.
Good Luck

Nope. I've been on the waiting list for quite some time and did not get in for next year.

#14 amazing dave

amazing dave

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

There is a great Pre-School at Marble Valley School. It's in EDH and they have wonderful teachers.

Edited by amazing dave, 07 May 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#15 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (MnT @ Feb 2 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you looked at the Child Development Center at Folsom Lake College? It's a really nice program and is reasonably priced.

It is also only open until about 3:00, FYI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users