29 replies to this topic

#16 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

This was on Channel 13 last night. They talked about this incident as well as one in Safeway parking lot in EDH where this same man (they beleive) approached a teenage girl in a car.

I have also received a notice from our Girl Scout Cookie Coordinator that a man matching this description approached the adult at a site sale in Raleys/Natoma. He was asking about where/when girls will be selling cookies, etc. The Raleys employees were keeping close watch on him, but I am not sure if anyone called the police. She said he's a 'known predator', but I do not know if that means registered sex offender or not. I have informed her to report this to the EDH Sheriff and Folsom PD... hoping that's already been done.

#17 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

I watched the news report of this and someone being interviewed said, "and we thought this was a safe area."

I had to laugh at that, because as anyone knows, or should know, there are no SAFE areas. AND, there are NO safe people. But some think that Pedophiles won't be traveling or living in EDH; how funny.

Years ago a couple my wife and I knew had a very bad incident happen.....their little girl went to her girl friends house for a sleep over. They knew the parents and they lived a couple blocks away...no big deal.
That is, until they found out that the father of their little girls friend had shared a game with them that involved taking off all their clothes and fondling each other. He told them that it was a secret game and they shouldn't tell anybody. He had a habit of giving the kids in the neighborhood rides to the ice cream parlor and buying treats for them....a real nice person...right? Turns out he had been molesting several children in about a five block area and was expanding his territory.

I don't allow my girls to sleep over with anyone. Call me mean, I don't care. I've also spoken to them about how these jerks work and what they should do if they ever feel uncomfortable, no matter who they are with or where. I think education is the key. Some parents don't want to expose their children to such education because they don't want them to think the world is a bad place or that some people could be so mean....but to shelter them from reality might be the worse thing they could do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

#18 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(wrabbit @ Mar 9 2008, 08:18 PM) View Post
I watched the news report of this and someone being interviewed said, "and we thought this was a safe area."

I had to laugh at that, because as anyone knows, or should know, there are no SAFE areas. AND, there are NO safe people. But some think that Pedophiles won't be traveling or living in EDH; how funny.

Years ago a couple my wife and I knew had a very bad incident happen.....their little girl went to her girl friends house for a sleep over. They knew the parents and they lived a couple blocks away...no big deal.
That is, until they found out that the father of their little girls friend had shared a game with them that involved taking off all their clothes and fondling each other. He told them that it was a secret game and they shouldn't tell anybody. He had a habit of giving the kids in the neighborhood rides to the ice cream parlor and buying treats for them....a real nice person...right? Turns out he had been molesting several children in about a five block area and was expanding his territory.

I don't allow my girls to sleep over with anyone. Call me mean, I don't care. I've also spoken to them about how these jerks work and what they should do if they ever feel uncomfortable, no matter who they are with or where. I think education is the key. Some parents don't want to expose their children to such education because they don't want them to think the world is a bad place or that some people could be so mean....but to shelter them from reality might be the worse thing they could do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately what you say is so true.

I have a friend that felt because he lived out in the sticks (11 miles or so outside of Placerville), he didn't need to lock his house. Now that he got robbed while he was sleeping at home and his dog didn't even wake-up to bark, he's become a believer in those little locking mechanisms on his house, his vehicles, etc.
I would rather be Backpacking

#19 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Mar 9 2008, 08:45 PM) View Post
Unfortunately what you say is so true.

I have a friend that felt because he lived out in the sticks (11 miles or so outside of Placerville), he didn't need to lock his house. Now that he got robbed while he was sleeping at home and his dog didn't even wake-up to bark, he's become a believer in those little locking mechanisms on his house, his vehicles, etc.

Well, I think that criminals have caught on to the fact that us suburbanites feel way too safe and are using our docile nature to their advantage.

Right here in Folsom, people feel too safe and don't do enough to secure their property. Women go into stores, intending to make it quick, and leave their cars unlocked, and sometimes their purse inside.

Parents allow their kids to run around for hours on end, and are not too concerned about where they are.
They feel if there is a problem their kids will call them from their cell phones.

People just don't know how quick things can happen and how kids can forget that danger lurks anywhere they go. When people are friendly to children, they most likely will trust them before they think they could hurt them. How hard would it have been for that guy in the black van, to just have driven up beside that kid and grabbed him? A cloth covered with Chloroform over the nose and it's a done deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Orwell

#20 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(wrabbit @ Mar 9 2008, 09:32 PM) View Post
Well, I think that criminals have caught on to the fact that us suburbanites feel way too safe and are using our docile nature to their advantage.

Right here in Folsom, people feel too safe and don't do enough to secure their property. Women go into stores, intending to make it quick, and leave their cars unlocked, and sometimes their purse inside.

Parents allow their kids to run around for hours on end, and are not too concerned about where they are.
They feel if there is a problem their kids will call them from their cell phones.

People just don't know how quick things can happen and how kids can forget that danger lurks anywhere they go. When people are friendly to children, they most likely will trust them before they think they could hurt them. How hard would it have been for that guy in the black van, to just have driven up beside that kid and grabbed him? A cloth covered with Chloroform over the nose and it's a done deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy fear mongering, Batman! You are the type of person the news media loves!

#21 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 10 2008, 06:47 AM) View Post

+1
<3

#22 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

It seems that this guy is getting pretty bold and has been in folsom as well.

This is from KCRA yesterday

Police: Strange Man Approaches Women, Kids
Incidents Reported In El Dorado Hills, Folsom

POSTED: 5:46 pm PDT March 10, 2008
UPDATED: 6:38 pm PDT March 10, 2008

EL DORADO HILLS, Calif. -- A suspicious man approached children and women three times in three days -- twice in El Dorado Hills and once in Folsom, authorities said.

Investigators are working to find out if it's the same man and how dangerous he may be.

An 11-year-old girl who spoke to KCRA 3 said she was approached by a strange man on Friday afternoon in a Safeway parking lot in El Dorado Hills. She said she was sitting inside a car with her little sister, waiting for her mother who was in a store, when they saw a man with dark sunglasses, a white shirt and jeans watching them from a nearby black sport utility vehicle.

The man had a Great Dane in the back of the vehicle, the girl said.

The girl said the man asked her if she was alone, and when she was unsure of what to say, she picked up a cell phone, pretended to dial, and he left.

"It's absolutely terrible. So, a warning to the parents," the girl's mother said.

A man with a similar description in a black vehicle approached an 11-year-old boy Thursday in the El Dorado Hills neighborhood of Brisbane Circle and Fitzroy Place, police said.

He asked the boy if he could come over and help him, Sgt. Bryan Golmitz said. The boy didn't recognize the man, so he kept walking.

A woman walking nearby stopped and stared at the man, who then turned around and left, authorities said.

In Folsom on Saturday, a man approached the mother of a Girl Scout as she stood in front of a store, Golmitz said.

The woman said the man made her feel uncomfortable with his questions and extensive interest in the Girl Scouts, leading her to report the incident to police.

If the incidents are related, Golmitz said, he thinks the man is bold.

The man is described as white, with salt-and-pepper hair and beard, and a large belly.

There are two different descriptions of his car: The first is a black Astro van with tinted windows and a white stick-figure sticker on the back; the second is a black, newer SUV with tinted windows.

Anyone with information should call the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department at (530) 621-6600.

#23 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(maggiesmom @ Mar 11 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post
It seems that this guy is getting pretty bold and has been in folsom as well.

This is from KCRA yesterday

Police: Strange Man Approaches Women, Kids
Incidents Reported In El Dorado Hills, Folsom

POSTED: 5:46 pm PDT March 10, 2008
UPDATED: 6:38 pm PDT March 10, 2008

EL DORADO HILLS, Calif. -- A suspicious man approached children and women three times in three days -- twice in El Dorado Hills and once in Folsom, authorities said.

Investigators are working to find out if it's the same man and how dangerous he may be.

An 11-year-old girl who spoke to KCRA 3 said she was approached by a strange man on Friday afternoon in a Safeway parking lot in El Dorado Hills. She said she was sitting inside a car with her little sister, waiting for her mother who was in a store, when they saw a man with dark sunglasses, a white shirt and jeans watching them from a nearby black sport utility vehicle.

The man had a Great Dane in the back of the vehicle, the girl said.

The girl said the man asked her if she was alone, and when she was unsure of what to say, she picked up a cell phone, pretended to dial, and he left.

"It's absolutely terrible. So, a warning to the parents," the girl's mother said.

A man with a similar description in a black vehicle approached an 11-year-old boy Thursday in the El Dorado Hills neighborhood of Brisbane Circle and Fitzroy Place, police said.

He asked the boy if he could come over and help him, Sgt. Bryan Golmitz said. The boy didn't recognize the man, so he kept walking.

A woman walking nearby stopped and stared at the man, who then turned around and left, authorities said.

In Folsom on Saturday, a man approached the mother of a Girl Scout as she stood in front of a store, Golmitz said.

The woman said the man made her feel uncomfortable with his questions and extensive interest in the Girl Scouts, leading her to report the incident to police.

If the incidents are related, Golmitz said, he thinks the man is bold.

The man is described as white, with salt-and-pepper hair and beard, and a large belly.

There are two different descriptions of his car: The first is a black Astro van with tinted windows and a white stick-figure sticker on the back; the second is a black, newer SUV with tinted windows.

Anyone with information should call the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department at (530) 621-6600.

I had not watched the news in a few days glad for this post- had a discussion with my niece Sunday about paying attention (she is 13) she argued - "Thats in EDH"--- well that isn't far from Folsom and then here is a post that he may have been spotted in Folsom... Thanks for the update...

#24 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(hopeanelli @ Mar 11 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post
I had not watched the news in a few days glad for this post- had a discussion with my niece Sunday about paying attention (she is 13) she argued - "Thats in EDH"--- well that isn't far from Folsom and then here is a post that he may have been spotted in Folsom... Thanks for the update...

Yes, it is very good to have this commo going out. The coaches to both my kids BB teams have sent E-mails out to all the parents. This appears to be much more serious than some of you are taking it.

I wouldn't want to frighten or make my children overly cautious about going outside and engaging in sports--but until this is resolved--I am ensuring my shildren are in my eye sight as much as possible.

And please don't leave your kids in the car!!!

We were at walmart recently and saw a kid jump out of his car when we were walking up to the store. He knew us. He and his friend had been left in the car while their parents shopped. I asked them how long they had been alone they said ( as any typical 4th graders would) "forever!!" Well, it took me 45 minutes in walmart and when I came back out--those boys were still alone in the car.

Watch your kids!!!!!!

#25 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(hopeanelli @ Mar 11 2008, 01:27 PM) View Post

Per my original post, 'Since Folsom isn't very far from EDH, I figure I would pass along the information'.

I'm glad the story is getting the amount of news coverage it is.

#26 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(EDH Jen @ Mar 11 2008, 01:37 PM) View Post
Per my original post, 'Since Folsom isn't very far from EDH, I figure I would pass along the information'.

I'm glad the story is getting the amount of news coverage it is.

I hope they find that freak and fry him

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#27 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

When I was about 11 I was left alone in the car (with our dog). We did that all the time. We lived in what we considered a safe area. I hated going grocery shopping, but wanted to go with because we usually stopped for ice cream or something too.

Then one time, there was a guy who was just hanging out by his car, watching me. I was scared to death, but I didn't know what to do. I figured I was safer in the car with the dog, with the doors locked than trying to get out and risk him trying to grab me.

After a while, a lady walking by noticed that something was up. She came and asked me if I knew that guy. I said I didn't and she said to keep my doors locked and if he tried to approach the car, just lean on the horn until he went away. She said she was going to find security to get him to leave. Then she went over and yelled at the guy, who just kinda blew her off. He stood there and watched me for a few more minutes and left.

When my parents came back I told them what happened, and they didn't believe me. Never did. wacko.gif

I hate that there are really no completely safe places anymore.

I hope that they catch this creep. Everytime I'm out, I've been keeping an eye out for these cars.

If he hasn't been scared off by the media coverage, he might shave his beard or cut his hair. I'd say that anyone who notices a neighbor or whatever who matches the description and then suddenly changes his appearance should call the cops to check things out.

And EDH Jen, did the police have him look at mugshots or anything? If not, you might want to give that boy's mom the Megan's Law website. http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/ You can look up sex offenders in any area, most with pictures.

Nancy

#28 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Nancy @ Mar 11 2008, 03:26 PM) View Post
When I was about 11 I was left alone in the car (with our dog). We did that all the time. We lived in what we considered a safe area. I hated going grocery shopping, but wanted to go with because we usually stopped for ice cream or something too.

Then one time, there was a guy who was just hanging out by his car, watching me. I was scared to death, but I didn't know what to do. I figured I was safer in the car with the dog, with the doors locked than trying to get out and risk him trying to grab me.

After a while, a lady walking by noticed that something was up. She came and asked me if I knew that guy. I said I didn't and she said to keep my doors locked and if he tried to approach the car, just lean on the horn until he went away. She said she was going to find security to get him to leave. Then she went over and yelled at the guy, who just kinda blew her off. He stood there and watched me for a few more minutes and left.

When my parents came back I told them what happened, and they didn't believe me. Never did. wacko.gif

That is so disturbing that your parents didn't believe you.
I would rather be Backpacking

#29 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Mar 11 2008, 03:58 PM) View Post
That is so disturbing that your parents didn't believe you.

Yea I know.. They were going through a phase where they thought everyone was out to scam them. rolleyes.gif I told my mom again years later that it was totally true, and she just gave me a look like yea right.

That's why it's so important for kids to know to keep telling people they trust until someone believes them.

Nancy

#30 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Mar 10 2008, 07:47 AM) View Post

Go take a hike, Robin. If you can't face reality, tough.

I'm not here to down play crime and make you feel all warm and fuzzy.
George Orwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users