58 replies to this topic

#1 beolin

beolin

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

For sale is a 1970's 5-speed Schwinn Collegiate Cruiser bike.
The bike is in very good shape. Tuned up recently by a bike shop, it shifts and brakes well. It also has new tires and tubes. This would be a perfect bike for cruising around Folsom. Not sure on the size, but I'm going to guess it is around a medium, maybe medium/large.

PM me or email me at reeohas@excite.com

#2 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

I didn't know old bicycles held their value like an antique......They have new Schwin cruisers for $145 at Target, $135 w/coupon and they have the latest tech etc......
Good luck w the sale...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#3 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Nov 14 2008, 08:14 AM) View Post
I didn't know old bicycles held their value like an antique......They have new Schwin cruisers for $145 at Target, $135 w/coupon and they have the latest tech etc......Good luck w the sale...

This one is a real Schwinn and was made in America, by the Schwinn Bicycle Company, which no longer exists. A new bike like this made in America (like by Worksman for instance) starts at about $300 now and goes up to $1000 with options. You would probably want us to feel guilty about the ones now in Wal-Mart and Target, they are made by a company in communist China that bought the Schwinn brand name (as well as Huffy and Murray) and they are $145 due to abject lack of quality and industrial regulations.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Nov 14 2008, 08:14 AM) View Post
I didn't know old bicycles held their value like an antique......They have new Schwin cruisers for $145 at Target, $135 w/coupon and they have the latest tech etc......
Good luck w the sale...

You just said that Target carries bikes with the latest tech.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats a good one.

#5 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Nov 14 2008, 08:30 AM) View Post
This one is a real Schwinn and was made in America, by the Schwinn Bicycle Company, which no longer exists. A new bike like this made in America (like by Worksman for instance) starts at about $300 now and goes up to $1000 with options. You would probably want us to feel guilty about the ones now in Wal-Mart and Target, they are made by a company in communist China that bought the Schwinn brand name (as well as Huffy and Murray) and they are $145 due to abject lack of quality and industrial regulations.

thats what I was thinking too - this is a real Schwinn, not a Chinese made knock off

that bike is probably worth more then $150 because it's an antique, it's a real Schwinn, it's got a nice unique blue color and it was recently serviced and has new tires

If it was bigger I'd consider buying it myself, I like the old school cruiser style bikes

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

If the 70's make it an antique you better look out, Dave... pretty soon you'll be worth as much as Baroque furniture

I don't like people dumping on for-sale posts. Dumping on the for-sale post with news that you can buy brand new junk bikes made from Burmese tuna cans for the same price when a good new bike costs $500 and up (and up) yanked my chain a bit.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#7 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Nov 14 2008, 09:13 AM) View Post
If the 70's make it an antique you better look out, Dave... pretty soon you'll be worth as much as Baroque furniture

I don't like people dumping on for-sale posts. Dumping on the for-sale post with news that you can buy brand new junk bikes made from Burmese tuna cans for the same price when a good new bike costs $500 and up (and up) yanked my chain a bit.

heheh the 70's were my kid years... used to love riding my Schwinns as a kid/teen (had a sting ray and later a beach cruiser)

and I completely agree, its not cool to rag on someone's for-sale posts

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#8 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

This looks like a good old Schwinn (a real Schwinn) in excellent condition at a very good price. This is the real deal and the Chinese crap at Target/WalMart is not even close to comparable. For someone who can use the size and wants a bike to cruise around town this looks like a great deal. smile.gif

#9 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Nov 14 2008, 08:38 AM) View Post
You just said that Target carries bikes with the latest tech.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats a good one.

bike snob tongue.gif
<3

#10 beolin

beolin

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Nov 14 2008, 11:50 AM) View Post
This looks like a good old Schwinn (a real Schwinn) in excellent condition at a very good price. This is the real deal and the Chinese crap at Target/WalMart is not even close to comparable. For someone who can use the size and wants a bike to cruise around town this looks like a great deal. smile.gif

You're right, it's an honest to goodness genuine Schwinn. Trust me I'm not going to get rich off selling this bike, that was never my intention. I bought this from a bike shop about a year ago. Someone found it in the recesses of their garage unridden for years. He brought it into the shop, had them completely overhaul the thing and then never showed up to claim it. I've ridden it lightly for a while, from my house to light rail and around town to do small errands.

I've since upgraded and sadly this bike doesn't get ridden any more.

#11 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hmmm for a bunch of capitalists you sure are suddenly for AMerican products........Your car was made in China and I don't see you protesting the so called bad quality! WHY, BECAUSE they make better cars and quality than AMERICA can produce...Many American cars are 20 years behind Toyota...
SO, the metal from your OLD Schwin while stronger than a Buick, may be of use if you run into a car, it will be heavier and not have the cool gears like the NEW one at Target...So, go suck an EGG, old farts..BTW, your bell-bottoms are not better quality either....even if they were made from polyester made in AMERICA.....
BTW, free-trade is all you ever whine about, but when you see it in action you realize there are prices to be paid...If you are so concerned with lack of quality, why do you buy things from China or why don't you protest????
Grrr!

#12 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

I guess that I will chime in on this. I used to work in a bicycle shop for about 10 years and I have spent many years restoring classic schwinn bicycles. Yes, this is a real genuine classic schwinn bicycle and it should never be compared to the schwinn brand found in target. Classic schwinn bicycles are considered antiques and collectors items, especially when in a preserved original condition. While I am a big fan of classic bikes and can testify to their value, I will say that this bike does not fall in to the category of a collectors item. The schwinn models that are heavily sought after are the classic 26" beach cruisers. Pre-war bikes are very collectable withg heart style chainrings and skip tooth chains. Bikes like the black phantom are considered the holy grail of classic schwinns to many. Old stingray bikes as well. They started in 63 1/2 with a 63 being worth alot, the more deluxe model the more valuable. The crate series are also very popular. Orange crate, apple crates, lemon peelers, etc and with extreme rare bikes like cotton picker and the grey ghost (up to 10k dollars for a like new original grey ghost). Thes bikes can bring in alot of money but bikes like the collegiate and varsity have never been considered collectors bikes and I dont think I have seen one sell for more than 100 bucks even in like new condition. I have restored a collegate back to new specs for a guy. It was worth it to him as sentimantal value but I cleary told him it would never be worth anything.

BTW, you can use the serial number to tell the eact year it was built

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#13 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

It's not about country of origin, it's about quality. The bicycle for sale is an authentic Schwinn from the days when American manufacturing was the best in the world. It may or may not be worth $150. The bicycles at Target are junk and are not worth a second look. Maybe it has a twist shifter or something - I guarantee the cable going to it is out of adjustment from day 1 and will stretch further, the wheels are out of true, the rims are steel, it will weigh a ton because they use more metal to compensate for cheap materials, the brakes are slippery and the tires are hard. I wouldn't wish it on anyone who actually intends to ride it many miles. This is an effect of how and where they are made - but that's not the reason not to buy them.

I do practice what I preach here. I don't have an American car because one wasn't available in the style I wanted, and because their quality is pretty grim. I do have an American bicycle, because it's good. It has Japanese components and I just ordered a British seat. The same thing has prevented me from buying a British motorcycle. I do buy Chinese stuff when it's good enough or it doesn't matter. I recently upgraded from a Chinese to a Japanese motorcycle helmet but it was for comfort and fit, not safety. I just bought a $40 cheapie DVD player and my wok has given me years of loyal service.

Why not protest? When I was in college there was a club set up to protest sweatshops. Their backing came from the textile union, who had no interest in Vietnamese children but desperate interest in keeping jobs in America. That's the sort of thing that makes you jaded early about such things.

And think before you dump on someone's sale post, would you?

#14 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Nov 14 2008, 09:21 PM) View Post
Hmmm for a bunch of capitalists you sure are suddenly for AMerican products........Your car was made in China and I don't see you protesting the so called bad quality! WHY, BECAUSE they make better cars and quality than AMERICA can produce...Many American cars are 20 years behind Toyota...
SO, the metal from your OLD Schwin while stronger than a Buick, may be of use if you run into a car, it will be heavier and not have the cool gears like the NEW one at Target...So, go suck an EGG, old farts..BTW, your bell-bottoms are not better quality either....even if they were made from polyester made in AMERICA.....
BTW, free-trade is all you ever whine about, but when you see it in action you realize there are prices to be paid...If you are so concerned with lack of quality, why do you buy things from China or why don't you protest????
Grrr!

I believe you have terms performance and quality severely confused. In this case the schwinn bicycle is quality that cant be found by anything in target. Your comments about weight and gears show your pure ignorance in the definition of quality. This is only relative to the performance.

As for your whining about cars your statement reflects again pure ignorance. First off, toyota is a japanese car not a chinese car. Look at the labor practices and you will see a difference. Our toyota was assembled in the USA. This is nowhere near china or japan. Also, if you dont think anyone pays attention to the american flag when making purchases, please look at my signature. I drive a dodge ram which was built in the USA by americans using the majority of american parts. The funny part is, its been alot better in QUALITY than your toyota. Funny huh? I sure wouldnt put our Toyota 20 years ahead of american cars. Their quality is in the toilet as far as I am concerned and yes, I own one. My dodge has been solid without a squeek or rattle and no problems. 20 years ahead of americans, huh....

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#15 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

You are right about Toyota, duh, of course it's made in Japan> SORRY for the mistake...BUT, they probably buy parts from China..AND my Toyota will last as long as your Chevy....AND you may buy a Chevy that Americans have put together, but the parts are made in Japan or China....ALSO, Toyotas don't rattle either....Isn't that a given, maybe if you are used to driving an American car you hear a lot of rattles??????
EVERYONE knows that American car makers are in the toilet.....NO ONE is buying them...That's why they are going bankrupt...They can't change the designs and quality to keep up with Asian suppliers...ALSO, if our gov't is subsidizing the American cars, why aren't they cheaper than Toyotas???? AND GUESS what? MORE Buicks are sold in China than America...SO, maybe the American "made" cars like GM will have more success in CHINA than here.....Maybe that will keep the American worker with a job.....
In addition, I think it's funny how you have this belief that if you just buy American (what little is left that is made in America) that you are saving the economy....It's not that easy....We don't protect American jobs anymore and outsourcing is what is happening....Whether it's right or wrong makes no difference; it's what's happening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users