3 replies to this topic

#1 SusieQ

SusieQ

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:50 PM

Thousands have been spent to promote the Rancho Cordova-based slate for school board. Reports were filed late but are now available at the County Elections Office. Initially, the treasurer for Folsom Cordova Kids First was Bryan Cooley, the president of the Sacramento Cty Board of Education. Recently, Troy Konarski took over as treasurer. The Kids First Committee reports $9449 in contributions through Oct. 29th. We know a lot more was spent given the amount of mailers, the phone bank, and newspaper ads. Large contributors listed were: Capitol Engineering Consultants $1000. Richard Shaw, $2000. Plumbers and Pipefitters Union, $500. Warren Consulting Engineers, $500. Heidi Konarski, $4000. Sheet Metal Workers, $500.

Expenditures reported: Capitol Campaigns (Bryan DeBonk) $2500 for consultant fee. He is one who plans the mailers and apparently the creator of the sleaze literature. Total report this period $4,916. Nothing shown for the phone bank or ads.

The Heidi Konarski campaign reported $5200 in contributions. The large contributors included Prebil, Stanley (a retired building inspector from Citrus Heights) $3000. Folsom Cordova Teachers Association, $1800. She transferred $4000 to the Kids First campaign. Did not report any inkind contributions such as the phone bank.

Richard Shaw reported receiving $3,471. The largest single contribution was $1800 from the teachers union, CTA in Burlingame. He spent $2263 on stamps and signs. Did not report any inkind contributions such as the phone bank.

Ed Short reported $3,550 through Oct. 19th. Large contributors were: Eric Alquist of Orangevale, $500. Tower Development of Sacramento, $1500. Elliott Homes, $1650. Lee Garrison, retired, $1,750. CTA PAC, $3,550. His report is full of errors and markups. I think he really meant to report $1800 from CTA but reported a cumulative total from all sources. If audited by the FPPC he will have a lot of explaining to do. Expenditures were given as $181. This is absurd. He is either an idiot or lying through his teeth. The mailers, ads, phone bank, etc. all demonstate a significant amount of money was spent.

A lot can be learned from these reports. The slate is not being honest in reporting contributions. In Short's case, the man lacks lacks basic competency. He clearly is in over his head and has no business making decisions on a multimillion dollar budget if he can't even handle a campaign account.

This slates' finances definitely need investigating. If there was any doubt about the source of funds, it is clear that unions are the biggest single contributors. We don't need school board members who are the stooges for employee unions. This has brought more school districts to the brink of bankruptcy than any other cause.

#2 (catess)

(catess)
  • Visitors

Posted 05 November 2002 - 07:51 AM

Your research is appreciated. Elliott Homes giving $1650 to a school board candidate? I wonder what's up there. These three are all union-supported candidates who will have the best interests of those unions in mind, not the best interests of parents nad students. Just look at the pandering to the transportation bargaining unit already!

When I contacted Bryan DeBlonk about his hate mail piece, he responded that we had no business trying to split the distirct. He lives in Fair Oaks! I think he's hoping to be retained by those same people when the split issue comes to a vote in November of 2004 (estimated vote date). He'll probably get the contract. Let's show him he can't win, by electing McGown, Morris, and Myers today.

#3 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 08:47 AM

Yea... I love it when people who don't even live in the district try and tell us what we should do...

I am also sick and tired of the UNION BOSSES being allowed by their members to demagogue an issue as they did with mailer...

and some of you wonder why I get angry at these people...

I was brought to my points of view by the vicious attacks from the FOLSOM CORDOVA TEACHERS UNION during the hearings back in 1994 when our original petition went through the process.....

Does anyone remember how the teachers in the district, the UNION BOSSES, the staff, the bus drivers all demogogued proponents of the split? Their conduct was deplorable... We couldn't have an honest debate, because they just lied... over and over again.... just like this latest hit piece...

Does anyone remember the beating our School Board Trustee Marie Carter took in the papers or that awful school board meeting just before the Measure "O" election. I was there at that meeting when Cathy Black Cobb, the President of the board from Rancho allowed speaker after speaker from Rancho to personally attack Marie... which is against the rules of a public meeting of the board... Ms. Cobb never once admonished anyone who spoke... just let them go on and on.... I was so stunned, I couldnt even speak...

The folks who arrived here in town after 1995 or 1996 don't have the memories that we have of these people... So if you are new here, please don't get upset if a few of us get a little passionate about the Split of the District.

Regards.....

#4 SusieQ

SusieQ

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 11:15 AM

The reason Ed Short reports $1650 from Elliott is because he is a nitwit who doesn't know how to fill out the form. Elliott apparently gave him $150 but in the cumulative total for that line item he added up all previous contributions from any source, not that specific source as one is supposed to do. This just shows how inept the man would be at reading all the multimillion dollar budget information a school board member has to digest.

Why would Elliott give him a contribution at all? Two reasons: he's a building inspector for Sacramento County. Elliott has projects that could be affected by Short's decisions; the other reason is that he is on the Rancho Cordova Chamber of Commerce board of directors. So is Russ Davis. Developers play it safe.

What is more significant are the big bucks poured into this campaign by the developers. Richard Shaw remarked this morning, "I didn't know you could buy an election." He's certainly finding out that money does influence voters. However, it does not always prevail. Remember when the public resisted CC Myers big money campaign to develop Deer Creek? Hopefully, the sleaze campaign will backfire in Folsom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users