13 replies to this topic

#1 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 09:03 PM

I cannot believe it, but it appears Miklos & Howell will get re-elected after all. I think this is proof that the average Joe in Folsom goes by name recognition when voting. How sad.

One bright note, however, Morin is coming in 3rd.

http://www.saccounty...sult5.htm#c5120
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#2 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 07:47 AM

Jake my friend...

yea but Measure "P" passed.. and we'll see what happens... there is going to be an election in two years... we will have the opportunity to get Starsky out...

I agree with you... and in case you forgot we had a school board election where now you have 3 members on the board who will now try and stop the "split of the district".... you watch that action coming up in the next few months....

It blows me away that the new residents of Folsom did not think about this one... I would like to see the precint by precint results on the school board election...

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:41 AM

I think it has a large part to do with residents being informed... people know who they'll vote for governor - chances are they know enough about those candidates.

However, the average Joe in Folsom knows very little about our city council. Their names may sound familiar and they see they are incumbent... hence, they vote for them. I would bet that was many people's logic.

Perhaps by this time in 2 years everybody in Folsom will have the opportunity to learn about the candidates via this forum and website (wouldn't that be nice)... for the most part, this forum has only hit the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the untapped Folsom market. Word will spread, and we're getting new people every day...

we'll see what happens! At least we got Morin in there! :-)

#4 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:51 AM

I intend to keep taxpayes... parents... voters.... informed...

If this site stays up... it will help alot...

Also I intend to keep www.folsomreport.com up as well.... We won't have the money the big donors have... but with the internet we can compete...

This is going to be a long term battle...

We have several issues...

Water meters.... South of 50.... The Library... and The SCHOOL SPLIT....

and hopefully we can get other people involved....

regards....

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:58 AM

From looking at the votes counted for the water meter issue at looks like 13,478 registered voters voted.

From adding all the votes for city council members, it came to 35,777 votes. Everyone could vote for 3 people so that would come to around 11,925 voters.

Big difference in voters. How many registered voters are there in Folsom and home many really voted.

Next time we need to get out and stand on corners with signs on who NOT to vote for.

Cal
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 09:52 AM

dry.gif A few observations from the numbers. While it appears that nearly 12,000 voted for city council, the most votes any one candidate got was 5,894 (Miklos). The lowest vote winner got 5,269 (Howell), with the highest vote loser getting 4,856 (Mitchell).

The margin of losing was just 413 votes.

The large number of candidates is what kept the incumbents in---we were successfully divided and conquered. Next time people of a like mind need start these debates much earlier, agree on ONE CANDIDATE, try to dissuade others from running, and conduct voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives. Voter turn-out in Folsom was absolutely pathetic.

#7 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 06 November 2002 - 10:26 AM

Good point! The few hundred votes Uri Schorch and Keith Cable recieved could have been enough to vote out third place Howell. Frankly, I am quite surprised Uri received any votes at all since he failed to even make himself known to the residents of Folsom!

wink.gif
Talk about a wasted vote! Although all of my candidates did not win, it was nice to see how close the race was. I'll expect better results in two years assuming we learn from our mistakes this time around. At least we know that more people are becoming involved and educating themselves about the issues. Here's to everyone who took the time to get to know the candidates and voted! Let's make sure we keep the information flowing so we can get a better, more educated voter tunout come next election.
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#8 Doug

Doug

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 11:31 AM

I wonder what made people decide to re-elect the same city council members that gave us the water meter plan and yet pass the water meter initiative. It seems contradictory to me.

Another point of note. Rancho had cityhood on the ballot. I expected that to make a difference in the school board vote. When I saw who won, I just assumed more RC voters turned out. You know what? I was wrong. Measure P had plenty more voters than RC cityhood. So are Folsom voters saying they don't want their own school district? Aren't Folsom and RC planning to build a new high school each? A four high school district? Seems like we could make it.

One positive note. Even if we have some city council members we didn't vote for, none of them resorted to discrediting each other. Some city council races can be ugly. At least everyone behaved. We can't just wait for the next election. We'll need to find ways to work with the city council members we have and INFLUENCE the changes we want to see.
Doug

#9 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 12:03 PM

Doug...

I disagree with you on the deportment of the candidates... I will agree that the city council race wasn't as bad as I have seen the past with some last minute hit pieces...

However... I take great exception to the results of the School Board election..

With this board now, we have 3 votes to stop our move to create our own school district.

Their last minute hit piece is something I will not forget. If you read the comments from the School Board President Teresa Stanley and the comments from Sara Myers and James McGowan... how do you expect the folks in Folsom to work with these slime bags...

I am fed up with those no good lying pieces of excrement always using our children against us by saying that if we vote to split the district we are hurting our kids... its such (B)arbara (S)treisand.....

They say we will pay more for the same services... isn't that the same logic for a "no" vote against incorporation?....its going to cost taxpayers in Rancho more for their city... but its worth it... why do you ask...? BECAUSE THEY GET LOCAL CONTROL.......!!!!!!!

This is all about the teachers union retaining power and thats it... its not about kids...and never was....

#10 Bob

Bob

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:48 PM

Lemonade out of Lemons

Regarding most public issues that encompass a wide spectra of opinions (and council elections and initiatives certainly qualify) it is rare that any one group will get all that they hope for.

This election has some very positive results that I would like to point out:

1. Andy Morin did succeed and now joins Eric King to give some balance to a still pro-growth Council.

2. The large regional land speculators and developers did not get what they wanted, which according to the Sacramento Business Journal was:

Tsakopoulos [wealthy land speculator] closes in on new Folsom
"Landowners in the sphere [3,600 acres south of 50] have been meeting quietly, to prepare the way for annexation. Some observers believe the landowners won't move toward annexation until after the November election, which is expected to strengthen the pro-development voice on the City Council."
Sacramento Business Journal, October 18, 2002

The only way to strengthen “THEIR” position would have been if Jantzen also had been elected. “THEIR” position is now slightly weaker with Andy Morin in.

3. Due to campaigning, this Forum, and e-mails, Folsom residents are more aware of what is happening in their City.

4. Due to hot issues like the rezoning for affordable housing, pursuing a new library, and the usual infrastructure problems such as school issues, traffic, noise and sewer spills, Folsom residents are more aware of what is happening in their City.

5. Miklos and Howell, due to items 3 and 4, have become more aware of residents' concern about the ills of uncontrolled development, and they have made an attempt over the past few months to respond to such concerns. Lets hope it was not just pre-election rhetoric. Strike that. Lets insist that they hold to their campaign promises. This burden should fall doubly on those who supported them at the polls. However, the rest of us must also continue to work with each other and the City to make Folsom the best that it can be for our families.

6. Measure P passed. This was a huge success in light of City Halls stance against it (for this one I could not blame their official response as they are the ones who signed the agreements related to water meters.), and the Chamber of Commerce and developers banding together to mount a well-funded last minute campaign against it.

Again, I am not opposed to meters in the long run, but pushing forward with meters now was not in the best interest of Folsom residents. The $6+ million initially required to install and the $1+ million a year for reading, billing and maintenance, can better be used at this time to solve other problems such as improving our sewer system, which in my opinion, is a much more urgent environmental and health concern than reducing our water use by 6% (amount of conservation achieved with water meters per the Water Forum agreement).

One last water note: Celebrate the success of Measure P by beginning a practice of water conservation NOW. Per the Water Forum agreement, education regarding how to reduce water usage is far more effective than water meters. Show the regional opponents of this measure that maintaining our flat rate does not mean the wasteful use of water.

7. Of course, congratulations are also due to Sara Myers for retaining her seat on the School Board.

In summary, it may not be a day to yell from the rooftops, but certainly still a day to smile.

Regards,
Bob Fish
Folsom Families First
The strength of democracy is in letting the people create the future, not the government creating it for them.

#11 libby

libby

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:10 PM

I wish to thank all the folks who voted for missing candidates and ensured that the incumbents were reelected. Andy is going to have a tough time against the entrenched interests that liked the status quo, for whatever reason. Did anyone actually see Steve Fairchild after the first forum? Did anyone see Uri at all?
It made a difference in this election, with such a large field, those votes. If one actually liked and believed these folks were the best for the job and best for Folsom it would be one thing. But I think not. Enjoy the next rain in Folsom.....

#12 webmaster

webmaster

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:38 PM

I wish to thank all the folks who voted for missing candidates and ensured that the incumbents were reelected

While I'm with you, and I think this had part to do with their re-election, it is important to realize that many people pick at random who to vote for. In fact, I read an article somewhere that one of the top write-in vote getters for every presidential election is Mickey Mouse! (True story!) People write it in just to make a statement!

I think voting is every bit as much a freedom of choice than anything else, and a lot of people feel they have every bit of a right to just "pick a name" because it is their right as a taxpayer. I'm not saying it's what I personally agree with, but it has every bit to do with human nature and the differences in philosophies of people in general.

I wouldn't fret too much about it... our vote is our voice!
MyFolsom.Com Message Board Tip #3
To view all new threads in the last 24 hours, Click on "Today's Active Topics" from the forum index.

#13 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:53 PM

In defense of Mr. Fairchild...he was at the second forum! He also had a web site and an email address, made public, so anyone interested could contact him. He made it known at the second forum that he viewed his bid for City Council as a public service and had no intention of becoming a career politician. While some may feel he did not have the experience, or name, to get elected, I feel his sincerity in his attempt to serve Folsom warranted my vote! In all fairness, he led a successful campaign against better funded and better known candidates. He managed to carry 12% of the votes with the forerunner, Miklos, carrying 16% and Howell only 14%. Not bad I say. His efforts sould be comended as should every candidate who had Folsom's best interest at heart! Win or lose! However, I do feel that 9 candidates were too many and by spliting the votes virtually insured the incumbent's wins. I'm still in shock that Uri managed to receive any votes at all considering he failed to make his presence known! But a vote for Steve Fairchild was not a wasted vote it was the voice of the people who decided that enough was enough!
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#14 SusieQ

SusieQ

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 09:16 PM

When you have too many in the race, the advantage goes to the incumbents. That's what happend. I refuse to believe the public wanted more growth, more traffic, no library, and lots of rezoning for affordable housing. However, the incumbents will probably take their election as an affirmation of what they did over the last four years. You can expect rezoning to proceed with the speed of light.

If you don't like what happens there's always the recall process. An initative can also be effective. Just look at Measure P. The public won one for a change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users