4 replies to this topic

#1 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:34 PM

I’m not surprised a bit at how the election turned out!
I am more informed that a lot of people I know, only due to the fact that I read a lot and
have the time to stay informed. But being informed is not the issue, in my opinion.
A neighbor of mine feels it doesn’t make any difference who is running things in
government, because they all of them will eventually be corrupted by the politics, pay-offs
and kick backs from those with big money. He may have a point to a certain degree.

I posted on this board that people were going to have to make some sacrifices if they
wanted better government, and this election turn out proves that.
Everyone should Ask themselves, did you do everything you could to support the
candidate of your choice?
Did you contribute any money for him to have a more effective campaign?
Did you stuff envelopes or make any phone calls?
I’m afraid things will stay the same with our government in general, if people don’t decide
to get busy and make it the government they want, and that will take up some of their time
and money.

The fact is, voter turn out was very poor all through California. Our whole nation is sick
of the way things are but feel their vote will make little difference. I’m afraid most have
lost their faith that they can make a difference.

I remember when Prop.13 was up for vote and the turn out for that was over
overwhelming.
My husband and I were out of town election day, but drove back to town to cast our
votes, we felt so strongly about it. We felt that 500 miles we drove was worth it.
But the many people who told me it would never work, even if it was passed, were partly
right.
The minute it was passed, top notch attorneys started to dismantle it. So now, it has little
effect and discourages home owners from improving their property, because the taxes will
go up if they do. I had a lot of people telling me, “I told you so!”

And, it make matters worse, we the common people, can’t contribute the same amount of
money to the candidate of our choice as the big companies can to theirs!
How is THAT fair????
Can we really blame people for being so apathetic?
Like someone once said, “If you want to see how you got to where you’re at, look at your
past.”
Poor voter turn-out is a national concern, and there are reasons for that.

#2 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 02:58 PM

:huh:You are totally right April! Most working people are too strapped for time to keep up with things. It is always easier to vote for incumbants with the attitude that "If they got in, they must be OK."

Unfortunately, that is not always true. The only thing ANYONE CAN DO, is try to keep track of what officials say they will do, and what they do. The record of accomplishments both good and bad, tell the story. If things you feel important get accomplished then we are in good shape. IF ONLY THINGS THE BIG MONEY SUPPORTS GET ACCOMPLISHED, then we need to scream bloody murder!!!

The main thing we need to get done now, is to push for a better, faster, easier way for residents to know what the Council is planning on doing, BEFORE IT IS ACTED UPON BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!!! I think a City Charter amendment to this effect would be a place to start since I among many do not have big money to buy politician's actions!!!. sad.gif

#3 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:19 PM

We will spread the word! I posted my thoughts in a reply to the topic "Our Failure". I think we ALL agree!!! rolleyes.gif

#4 wmmarinevet2002

wmmarinevet2002

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 10:30 AM

While I was voting, I was quite shocked that some people went in there with absolutely no clue as to what and who they were voting for. They did not even have their pamphlet that showed what numbers they should punch on their ballot card. Some of these people were well into their 40's or 50's.

I commend these people for coming out to vote when compared to the hundreds of thousands in California that chose to ignore this election day. However, I was equally afraid of their lack of information on what they were voting for.

I think a lot of people use the T.V. campaign ads to make their decisions. They use their personal opinions of the candidates (i.e., their race, their age, their looks, their professional background, etc.) instead of the issues that are important to them.

If you want to know why so many people chose to sit out this election, I can point you to the most defining reason. All the negative campaign ads that people are so sick of watching and listening to. Candidates disgracing other candidates and defacing themselves in the process. Simon is a prime example of the negative campaign debacle.

They need a Code of Conduct when campaigning which forces them to focus on what these candidates are going to do for our State instead of negative crap they've been displaying on t.v. for the past months. dry.gif

#5 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 07:18 PM

I totally agree with you and have witnessed the same type of behavior by some voters.
I think many only vote when they feel strongly about an issue or candidate, then forget
how, and have to refresh their memories. Or come unprepared.

Personally, I’d like to see every candidate given equal attention.
But the fact is, those with more money for their campaigns, will have more ads and TV
time than others who may serve our community just as well.
I wish we could make it more equal, so it wasn’t so money driven. But that won’t happen
unless new laws are passed to level the playing field.
And until that happens, I’m afraid it will be more of the same next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users