20 replies to this topic

#1 Soonerborn

Soonerborn

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Our family has been going to Baskin Robbins for the dollar ice cream scoops for quite some time, but tonight was ugly. We got the joy of witnessing a large scale fight in the parking lot with at least 50+ teens watching it. At least 4 Folsom PD responded to it and then they had to go over to the Target parking lot where a large group looked to be organizing again.

In the past few weeks we've witnessed several teens/younger adults cussing/threating each other inside and out of the store on Tuesdays and the family fun has quickly disappeared from going if it is after 7 pm. Don't get me wrong, there were several groups of teens inside who were respectful and polite as we made our way through the tables with 4 little ones.

My question is, are there any loitering ordinances in place to prevent those that are not there for some good ole fashion ice cream, but to stir up trouble from just hanging out and causing trouble and ruining it for everyone?

#2 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Looks like the PD will need to patrol that area. That's horrible - I thought we were spared that low-life stuff in Folsom. It must be "the wrong side of the tracks". I went to BR a few times last summer on Tuesdays (on a diet this summer). There probably are indeed anti-loitering laws.

#3 Soonerborn

Soonerborn

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Looks like the PD will need to patrol that area. That's horrible - I thought we were spared that low-life stuff in Folsom. It must be "the wrong side of the tracks". I went to BR a few times last summer on Tuesdays (on a diet this summer). There probably are indeed anti-loitering laws.

That's part of the problem. People seem to assume it doesn't happen up here. Target during the school year is like this as well (tons of loitering teens). The "low-life" stuff are our children from the middle schools and high schools. I say this because we saw several shirts from the various schools during this ugly event.

I guess it is time for me to start dieting too! It's pretty sad when I can't go with my family for an ice cream without witnessing or worrying about when the next fight will take place.

#4 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

That's horrible - I thought we were spared that low-life stuff in Folsom. It must be "the wrong side of the tracks".

Is this for real ?

#5 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are kids, do something about it. You don't like it, tell them what's up. the reason that this stuff even happens is because no one gets in their faces.

#6 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

Is this for real ?

It is, if the reported event is real. Wouldn't you agree that groups of teens fighting is "low-life" behavior? Wouldn't you also agree that this is not normally witnessed in Folsom?

I have the impression that you are somehow put off or even offended. If not, then my mistake. But if so, why are you apparently afraid of plain speech? Low-life behavior merits the low-life label.

What's your take?

#7 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

It is, if the reported event is real. Wouldn't you agree that groups of teens fighting is "low-life" behavior? Wouldn't you also agree that this is not normally witnessed in Folsom?

I have the impression that you are somehow put off or even offended. If not, then my mistake. But if so, why are you apparently afraid of plain speech? Low-life behavior merits the low-life label.

What's your take?

I thought it might be somewhat naive about Folsom with the wrong side of the tracks comment.

My take is that yes it is low-life but doesn't mean the kids are not from Folsom. There is a growing trend of kids out without parents really knowing where they are and what they're up to. Probably not your kids or their friends but this definitely happening on our side of the tracks.

#8 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

If we need this in Folsom: http://shine.yahoo.c...eading-2516110/

then it's no surprise we get something like what's happening at BR.

One wonders if, as a society, we are prioritizing the right things in life such that we ensure the proper behavior of kids as they grow up.

#9 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

It's sad that parents have little control over their children and teens.

I will say that my young child is not perfect. We were at Chilli's the other night and I had to take him out to the car. He was being disruptive and the second it started I took him out, all the way to the car. I guess that's where it starts. I see many parents let their children's bad behavior continue and ruin other people's experience. "Aww they are just kids!"

I will not let my son's acting out behavior go unnoticed nor will I let him control his enviroment. There is a time and a place. In an adult public he is expected to listen, use manners and be respectful of other adults and children. In a child like atmosphere..I let him run and yell but still expect him to adhere to the listen, manners and respect model.

It all starts when they are young. I knew with a look what my parents were thinking and I would refrain from whatever behavior I was taught was wrong. You can't wait until they commit the behavior...you have to be proactive. Let your children see other children's bad behavior briefly and talk to them about it.

In all, I think most parents think that their children are angels and never capable of the mob type of behavior. They fail to talk to their kids about what is going on in their life and really do not put in the effort to parent. It's a more than full time job! You have to train and raise your children, constantly knowing where they are, who they are with and what they are up too.

#10 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

I thought it might be somewhat naive about Folsom with the wrong side of the tracks comment.

My take is that yes it is low-life but doesn't mean the kids are not from Folsom. There is a growing trend of kids out without parents really knowing where they are and what they're up to. Probably not your kids or their friends but this definitely happening on our side of the tracks.

I agree with you that this is evidence of parents not having a handle on what their kids are doing, and that this seems to happening a lot lately in Folsom. I was actually using the term "wrong side of the tracks" not to describe kids from outside Folsom, but to describe kids from the "bad" side of town, whereby "bad" refers to the fact that there is more crime around Duchow Way, which is near Baskin Robbins. However, upon reflection, I find it just as likely that the kids converged on BR from anywhere in town. So I retract my "wrong side of the tracks" comment - good call-out!

#11 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

I agree with you that this is evidence of parents not having a handle on what their kids are doing, and that this seems to happening a lot lately in Folsom. I was actually using the term "wrong side of the tracks" not to describe kids from outside Folsom, but to describe kids from the "bad" side of town, whereby "bad" refers to the fact that there is more crime around Duchow Way, which is near Baskin Robbins. However, upon reflection, I find it just as likely that the kids converged on BR from anywhere in town. So I retract my "wrong side of the tracks" comment - good call-out!

I was there as well, with my 9-year-old son. Normally, I'm one to jump right in and put teens in their place, but with the number of kids fighting and the size of the crowd, there was no way I was getting into the middle of that. I pulled out my cell phone and called the police, along with several other people.

As someone else mentioned, based on the preponderance of Vista and Folsom High hats and shirts, these were Folsom kids. Judging by the cars, they were not from the "wrong side of the tracks". I paid close attention to the cars these kids came and left in, and were showing off. They were all late model cars, and not econo-boxes (sorry to date myself). (There were also a few kids on bmx bikes, but most seemed to have arrived by car).

To cap off my night, at 1:40 am, some low life (drinking Bud Light with Lime) chose to smash his beer bottle on the sidewalk in front of our house. This is close on my list of pet peeves behind the cigarette butts. Twenty minutes later there was a taxi stopped in front of our house with the back door open and the cabbie saying, "It's OK, we can stop as many times as you need to." (with the meter running, no doubt). Thankfully, he apparently only needed air at our stop, so, before getting the paper this morning, I swept the broken glass and cigarette butts from the street and sidewalk, but was spared cleaning up puke (to his credit, he did take a cab). Ah, the joys of living in the historic district!

I did my fair share of dumb things as a teenager (although probably less than most), but among my friends, littering and other destructive behavior was never a possibility. Believe it or not, you can have a good time without being an idiot.

#12 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Believe it or not, you can have a good time without being an idiot.

+1. Heck, most if not all of the best times in my life didn't even involve alcohol.

#13 Folsom2000

Folsom2000

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

It's sad that parents have little control over their children and teens.

I will say that my young child is not perfect. We were at Chilli's the other night and I had to take him out to the car. He was being disruptive and the second it started I took him out, all the way to the car. I guess that's where it starts. I see many parents let their children's bad behavior continue and ruin other people's experience. "Aww they are just kids!"

I will not let my son's acting out behavior go unnoticed nor will I let him control his enviroment. There is a time and a place. In an adult public he is expected to listen, use manners and be respectful of other adults and children. In a child like atmosphere..I let him run and yell but still expect him to adhere to the listen, manners and respect model.

It all starts when they are young. I knew with a look what my parents were thinking and I would refrain from whatever behavior I was taught was wrong. You can't wait until they commit the behavior...you have to be proactive. Let your children see other children's bad behavior briefly and talk to them about it.

In all, I think most parents think that their children are angels and never capable of the mob type of behavior. They fail to talk to their kids about what is going on in their life and really do not put in the effort to parent. It's a more than full time job! You have to train and raise your children, constantly knowing where they are, who they are with and what they are up too.

As a parent of two young kids, I completely agree with you.

#14 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

To cap off my night, at 1:40 am, some low life (drinking Bud Light with Lime) chose to smash his beer bottle on the sidewalk in front of our house. This is close on my list of pet peeves behind the cigarette butts.

So you actually prefer broken glass over cigarette butts?

#15 Soonerborn

Soonerborn

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are kids, do something about it. You don't like it, tell them what's up. the reason that this stuff even happens is because no one gets in their faces.

No offense, but we did. We called the cops, as well as several others, the first time when it started and it turned into an ugly fight and then called the cops a second time when a group parked next to us (with one of the combatants) called in their reinforcements, from Folsom, to fight again in the Target parking lot. It is unreasonable to expect Joe public to break up a fight of this size. Those involved were determined to continue to fight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users