Photo
- - - - -

Folsom High School Music Students Rock It Again!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glad2Bme

glad2Bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

In case you missed this article in the Folsom Telegraph a couple of weeks ago:

Folsom High School Music Students Rock it Again!

It was another notable season for Folsom High School’s music students. They rocked both on the football field and on stage, bringing home well over a dozen awards from marching band competitions and jazz festivals. Among them were the prestigious Downbeat Magazine Best High School Large Jazz Ensemble in the Nation and Best High School Large Vocal Jazz Group titles, which are selected from over 1,000 entries from all over the United States. The Jazz Band I captured the Best Band in the Nation award for the 10th time, while the Jazz Choir earned the Best Vocal title for the 16th time, within the last 20 years. “It’s just amazing what our kids do,” says Curtis Gaesser, Folsom High School’s music director for more than 2 decades. “Our bands and choir have won so many times, it’s almost taken for granted, but who knows, it could be years before we win again. The kids have a lot to be proud of”.

These kids don’t just become great musicians overnight. Many of them have put in countless hours of practice in middle school and some have earned Downbeat Magazine’s Best Band in the Nation award while playing for Folsom Middle or Sutter Middle School’s jazz bands, both under the direction of John Zimny.

Thankfully, the Folsom Cordova Unified School District understands and appreciates the value of having music as part of the curriculum. Most of these students would not have been exposed to playing a musical instrument or singing in a choir if it were not for the requirement to take music beginning in the 4th grade. These kids are not only lucky to still have a school-based music program, they are blessed to have the incredible music teachers who are the heart, foundation, and inspiration for our young musicians.

Folsom High holds numerous fundraising events annually in order to help fund this valuable program. Without the countless volunteer hours worked by parents during festivals, competitions, and fundraisers, and support from local businesses and the community, none of this would be possible. These fabulous events, like the Annual Crab Feed and the Folsom Wine and Jazz, provide an amazing evening for those attending, and an outstanding venue for these musicians to shine and display their talent. If you have not seen these kids play, heard them sing, or watched them dazzle the football field, you really should. All are welcome to attend so that you, too, can enjoy the gift of music the Folsom High musicians have to offer. For information, check out folsommusic.org.

Upcoming memorable events:

November 1st, Folsom Fall Festival (marching band extravaganza), FHS marching band presents “Les Miserables”

November 14th, Annual Crab Feed (Folsom Community Center)

December 12, Holiday Festival of the Arts

January 24th, Folsom Jazz Festival

March 14th, Folsom Wine and Jazz (Folsom Community Center)

#2 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Awesome as always!

#3 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

This is my daughter's third year in the marching band, second year on the drumline.  It's such an amazing program and she's lucky to be part of it. It's very, VERY hard work, but so rewarding.

#4 Doug Moore

Doug Moore

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Wow, great FT article. It is truly amazing program. There must be something musical in the water because these kids do really rock it! Can't wait until the first football game.

#5 glad2Bme

glad2Bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Yep, this is an amazing program! My son made jazz band his last year at Folsom Middle, and they received the best saxophone section (he plays tenor sax) at the Monterrey Next Generation jazz festival, and they won Downbeat Magazine's Best Band of the Nation award too. I really hoped he would choose Folsom High in order to continue with band, and he did. He is a sophomore now, and made "B" band this year. I am the Publicity Secretary for the FHS music boosters, so if anyone has any ideas for me for fundraising or have any connections with local radio stations, news stations or news papers, please let me know! We need to get the word out so others can come watch these guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users