• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

TRAILS....

Over hill, over dale, til we hit the dusty trails and the caissons go rolling along.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#17 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Was this trail built by tearing out rail lines? I still don't see why both can't be accomplished.

http://www.beautiful...orado_Trail.pdf

#18 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

They should run the light rail on it.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#19 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Rails With Trails plan for the entire corridor.

I'd love to bike that entire trail, but I don't think I'm up to the challenge. But I certainly would love to take the train!

#20 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Seriously? Tear up historic, one of a kind railroad tracks for a bike trail?! Find/Build/Finance your own damn bike trails!

Devout Supporter of PSVRR!

Remove them. They do nothing. Wouldn't it be amazing to ride a bike from here to Lake Tahoe?

Highway 50. Just for you.
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#21 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have an opinion but it doesn't matter. This isn't going to be fought out in a place where I get to vote about it.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

I have an opinion but it doesn't matter. This isn't going to be fought out in a place where I get to vote about it.

You can write to the people listed on the home page - Folsom City Council for example. You can also go to psvrr.org to find what you can do to help.

#23 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Seriously? Tear up historic, one of a kind railroad tracks for a bike trail?! Find/Build/Finance your own damn bike trails!

Devout Supporter of PSVRR!

Highway 50. Just for you.

Thats fine. You can't ride a bike on the hwy.

You know whats historic? A countryside without metal tracks and all the switches winding through the foothills. I think the cost to rehab these tracks would far exceed the cost to remove the tracks and use the existing rail bed as a trail. No paving, just a trail. It would get way more use than those old tracks would.

#24 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Met 2 proponents for trails at a farmers market and they explained a few things from their side. While it would be nice to have both, it won't work out. If I am remembering correctly, the trails need a good roadbase and trains require a minimum 10 or 15 ft of open space on each side of the track - here's where the two conflict. To add a trail to the side of the tracks is $$$ and in many spots there are ravine walls or standing water that wouldnt provide the space requirements for the train or would be environmentally challenging or $$$ to make possible for both..

I want both. We really enjoyed a short excursion with the local railroad group and would love to see a Folsom to Camino light rail for commuters and excursion train for wine tasting, Apple Hill, Placerville. But I also love the incredible ARBT, Folsom trails, ElDo Co MTB trails, the addition of Cronan Ranch to the Salmon Falls loop.

#25 123

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Yes, this trail was built on an old rail bed after the rails were removed.

Was this trail built by tearing out rail lines? I still don't see why both can't be accomplished.

http://www.beautifulvista.com/Bike_Rides/Placerville_Bike_Path/El_Dorado_Trail.pdf

#26 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

You may feel that your opinion doesn't matter, but you'd be surprised how many elected officials appreciate feedback from the public. Squeaky wheels get oil. One voice has some impact, multiple voices have a lot of impact.

#27 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Yes, this trail was built on an old rail bed after the rails were removed.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they had already torn out some railroad tracks. The trails are nice, but it's a shame to lose the track.

I wonder if people here will really use the trails that much. Seems like they shy away from seeing a coyote, and now we're talking about trails going further up in the hills where they are much more likely to encounter mountain lions & bears.

#28 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they had already torn out some railroad tracks. The trails are nice, but it's a shame to lose the track.

I wonder if people here will really use the trails that much. Seems like they shy away from seeing a coyote, and now we're talking about trails going further up in the hills where they are much more likely to encounter mountain lions & bears.

On the other hand how many people would really use whatever railway they put in? Yeah it's charming and historic but how many times will you need to go to Apple Hill to support the thing? The 20 people on the forum here aren't going to keep the thing funded. And people love their cars and the abitlity to come and go as they please.

Wait for the train to go back home? Hmmmm...

This idea is kinda like the little brother to the high speed railway IMHO.

#29 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

Call me a kid, but don't any of you get excited about the idea of being able to explore things anymore? What an adventure it would be to be able to ride all the way to Lake Tahoe.

#30 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

On the other hand how many people would really use whatever railway they put in? Yeah it's charming and historic but how many times will you need to go to Apple Hill to support the thing? The 20 people on the forum here aren't going to keep the thing funded. And people love their cars and the abitlity to come and go as they please.

Wait for the train to go back home? Hmmmm...

This idea is kinda like the little brother to the high speed railway IMHO.

Maybe I'm wrong about the attraction and the viability. I'm just tossing out ideas as they occur to me.

I do think, however, this is a little different than the high-speed train. It's not just a local thing and it's not just about commuting. It could be a draw from all around. If we had people from out of town come to visit, this would be an activity we would do together. There's no way grandma is riding a bike up to Tahoe. In the winter, if it snowed up in the hills, it would be cool to have a snow train, not have to get in your car, build a snowman, sled, & go home.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users