Photo
- - - - -

Prairie Oaks Parking - How Will You Vote?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: How will you vote? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How will you vote?

1. Restricted parking to permit only (paid by residents) (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No parking 11-1 during school days (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 2 hour parking 7-3 during school days (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. No change (leave it like it is) (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Will this problem solve itself in two years with less older students due to Vista de Bogo?

#17 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(Redone @ Feb 11 2008, 09:04 AM) View Post
Yes, why should only students be pushed into neighborhoods by the lack of parking ? Share the lack of parking with staff also.

There isn't a lack of parking in the student lot. Kids arrive late, and don't want to walk that far, so they head for the closer neighborhood spot. It'll get better next year and then better the year after that since Vista will add a grade each year and take away some of the drivers.

QUOTE(john @ Feb 11 2008, 10:27 AM) View Post
I can't believe there is only room for 5 cars in the left-turn lane across from the Intel entrance. There's a rediculous amount of room and that median is in derelict condition. It seems to me the city would have figured this out by now.

Second that. They really need to increase the left turn lane. That median is wide enough to accommodate that. It might stop the kids from blocking the box at the major intersection of Iron Point and PC, so we can all get where we're going on time.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#18 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

The City is introducing a parking ordinance at tomorrow night's meeting. They specifically mention the historic district and neighborhoods near FHS. They intend to post certain hours where you cannot park without a residential permit. Residents would have to pay for their own residential permits. They'll probably do this above the Vista football field too at some point, so that kids don't park on top of the hill to watch games.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#19 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

1) I wrote to the city about the left-turn lane... if you go to the mtg, please express an interest in providing more access for the students to get IN to school. Part of the solution would be better access. Right now, there is only room for 5 cars at a time and the traffic regularly backs up to Iron Point at 8am. This city is aware of the problem but unwilling to pay for it because the school district benefits the most from it. Basically, they claim it's not the city's problem. (EDIT: I was wrong - the city will be fixing this in the summer. I had misinterpreted an email from the city traffic planner.)

2) wait a minute... residents will have to PAY for the right to park in front of our own houses? Did I just read that correctly?

#20 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

I don't think so...I will not be paying to park in front of my own Freakin HOME! First, Prairie Oaks home owners pay more in Mello Roos and extra school fees to cover our so-called community landscaping which is the worse in the area...Have you see the outside hills of Prairie Oaks by Blue Ravine (looks like a weed factory) and the common fences on many homes that is supposed to be fixed by the extra fees we pay each month never gets completed..

If someone has the email address to complain please post so I can address the issue...

What a joke....Prairie Oaks residents pay more in fees besides regular Mello Roos and the City of FOlsom can't cough up a couple hundred of dollars a year for stickers.....I want a detailed account of monies collected and how much is spent on landscaping.....There is plenty of money that they are collecting and they don't even do the minimum to keep the landscaping to par with Empire Ranch and Broadstone. Those neighborhoods pay less than Prairie Oaks residents do...Maybe a class-action lawsuit will get their attention.....I'm sure the City of FOlsom will not be happy to hear that they will be sued if they don't control the dangerous parking situation, not to mention the trash and degradation to the neighborhood...especially since the entire neighborhood pays extra fees for landscaping/parks....I still can't figure out why the Livermore park isn't completed when the PRairie Oaks neighborhood pay extra money per month for the parks/schools...It is such a scheme......I will definitely be talking to my neighbor that is a real estate attorney to get the ball rolling to find a solution that doesn't punish the Prairie Oaks community......
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#21 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(john @ Feb 11 2008, 11:17 PM) View Post
2) wait a minute... residents will have to PAY for the right to park in front of our own houses? Did I just read that correctly?

Why not? They all have garages, and if they remove the crap in there they can park where intended. It costs the city (that's us, people) to produce the signs and the permits and then to police it. The residents for whose convenience this is being done should have to pay for the administrative costs.

#22 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

I dsagree. It's the poor planning on the part of the school district that is causing this issue. If anything, the district should be paying for it. Don't fault us because the school wasn't designed with traffic in mind.

I usually park in my garage and seldom on the street, but I think it's rediculous that when I have company, they are going to need some sort of guest permit that I have to pay for.

#23 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

Again, use the money that Prairie Oaks residents already pay! It's such BS.....
The school is the issue' the school is in the development; use the development monies that we already pay.......This extra 1100 a year should cover it.....Because they certainly aren't using the money for landscaping...BTW, did anyone see the graffiti on Nichols Circle this morning....That street is right by the high school......
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#24 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Feb 12 2008, 08:55 AM) View Post
...Have you see the outside hills of Prairie Oaks by Blue Ravine (looks like a weed factory)

Yep, you're getting screwed alright. That area has looked like hell since day 1. Hey at least they mow the flat part once a summer which is about 20 ft wide. The rest is at about a 45 degree angle, tough to run the mower on that but them weeds sure look nice!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#25 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Feb 12 2008, 04:35 PM) View Post
Why not? They all have garages, and if they remove the crap in there they can park where intended. It costs the city (that's us, people) to produce the signs and the permits and then to police it. The residents for whose convenience this is being done should have to pay for the administrative costs.

Students had this "CONVENIENCE" for the last 10 years , should they have to pay back then for the time used ? Should the district repay the City for the extra wear and tear ?

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(john @ Feb 12 2008, 11:46 AM) View Post
I dsagree. It's the poor planning on the part of the school district that is causing this issue. If anything, the district should be paying for it. Don't fault us because the school wasn't designed with traffic in mind.

I usually park in my garage and seldom on the street, but I think it's rediculous that when I have company, they are going to need some sort of guest permit that I have to pay for.

It's completely unfair to fault the homeowners for this. The garages in some of the newer homes barely have room to fit two compact cars. If you have to have a truck for work or have more than two cars because you have children living at home while they go to college street parking may be your only option. Also, a lot of young families are losing their homes to foreclosure and have had to move back in with parents until they can get back on their feet . There's at least one more crowded house and one bank-foreclosedhouse for sale on my block alone.

I don't live in this neighborhood but I'm willing to bet there's a whole other litter and noise problem going on along with the parking problem.

Has the school district done anything to determine whether the parking is actually inadequate or if the students are just being lazy and trying to shorten their walk? I know when my children went there the only time they couldn't find parking was when they were late to school, but a whole new high school has been built since then to ease the overcrowding.

If there is a true shortage of spaces the school district needs to remedy this problem. If it's a laziness problem, a school district employee should be following those students out to their car, identify them, and contact the parents and make it their problem.

#27 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

We just got a voter ballot in the mail from the city, to vote on this parking issue. After reading some of the latest posts here, I'm unsure of what to do.

John, can we have a poll on this before we place our votes to the city? I'd put one up myself, but don't know how and I'd really like to know what everybody thinks, before I vote.

Thanks.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

#28 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

Please, only Prairie Oaks residents who have received the letter from the city.
This is in regards to the parking situation with high school students parking in neighborhoods, resulting in litter, loitering, nuisances, etc.

#29 staffie

staffie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(john @ Mar 28 2008, 10:09 PM) View Post
Please, only Prairie Oaks residents who have received the letter from the city.
This is in regards to the parking situation with high school students parking in neighborhoods, resulting in litter, loitering, nuisances, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a vote for no parking (option B) means that I can't park in front of my own house either. Any ideas of the cost for the permits (option D)?
Thanks.

#30 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(staffie @ Mar 28 2008, 11:29 PM) View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a vote for no parking (option B) means that I can't park in front of my own house either. Any ideas of the cost for the permits (option D)?
Thanks.

I have no idea how much it will cost for us to have permits to park in front of our own homes, but don't like the idea that we would ever have to have them. And what about visitors? We would have to have them for our guests as well.

Also, it brings up the question of if the price will be fixed, or subject to go higher in the future. I'd say this permit thing is a bad idea.

It would be nice if the cars that continually parked on these streets, were ticketed, but they have to have some sort of violation to do that, and unless we vote on this issue, there won't be any.

Of course, we can vote for "Option C", which keeps things as they are now, in hopes the problem will disappear after the new high school is here to take some of the students into another area. No one can be sure how many of those students parking on our streets, won't still be at the Prairie Oaks High School then. But, some hope for the parking issue to just go away with the new High School opening.

Frankly, I think if a parker is causing a problem of some kind, such as littering, their license plate number should be given to the police department and they should handle the problem. It's just ridiculous that the residents have to go to the extent of getting some restrictions put into law, to the point we suffer the inconvenience of not being able to park on our own streets, just to deal with this issue. Seems once the word got out that those parkers got huffy tickets, there would be a decline in street parking by students. But that approach is too logical, I guess.

Every time I drive down Riley and see the posts cemented into the streets, to keep traffic from coming through, I feel for those residents. That was the best the city could do for them? I'd hate to have to take the long way around, to get to my house, because the parking on my street was handled in such a stupid way.
That really made it hard for the residents that live there. And, I'm betting the people who want to park on those streets during events in old Folsom, still do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users