• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

I agree, Orangetj:

I make a point never to leave anything in my car in plain sight. If I must leave something in the car, I hide it or put it in the trunk. I also lock my car up all the time (theives like to steal Hondas) and, when I park in a less-than-safe area, I use a steering wheel lock--anything to make it more difficult for the criminals. specool.gif

Even when my car is in our garage, I still lock it. I heard on the news recently that there has been a rash of crimes where the theives open garages with remote controls and then steal everything they can carry! They are successful because most people don't think to lock the door into their garage. I do! hypocritesmiley.png
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#17 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:42 AM

I'm certainly not here to tell anybody what to do, but I contend that a locked car door is little deterrent to a thief who wants your car or what's in your car and has the cover of darkness or isolation under which to operate. The lock only stops those who don't want to damage your car - a group which probably does not include too many car thieves! Certainly, in a well lit, heavily used parking lot, a locked door might convince a thief to move on to another car since he probably wouldn't want to be spotted breaking a window (or using a simple "slim jim" to unlock the door). Parked in your driveway at night is another matter, though. Have you ever called AAA to get back into a car you've locked the keys in? I have and the guy they sent was able to unlock my door with a slim jim in 5 seconds flat. If he could do it, so could any punk who wants to take your stuff. IMO, the best defense is to just not leave anything in your car.

#18 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:07 PM

Orangetj:

Crime Analysts for the City of Sacramento did a study of the areas where car thieves committed their crimes to see if the city could do anything to deter or prevent auto theft.

Their findings were quite illuminating. They found that, no matter WHAT they did--from puting additional patrols in those areas to lighting the areas with additional street lights--nothing stopped the criminals from participating in their favorite activity: stealing cars.

This is why I always keep my car not only locked but INSIDE my garage. Contrary to popular belief, not many car thieves carry saws around with them to cut the steering wheel from the steering wheel lock. Who cares about the door lock? Sure the determined thieves have no problem getting into locked cars, but the average joy-rider (or someone looking for quick and free transportation) is not going to bother trying to unlock your car door. They are going to check every driver's door to find one unlocked.

Here's an interesting news item. Today is Wednesday, and I always check out the Folsom Telegraph. On page A2, in the Police Blotter, there was listed there a vehicle theft were some woman left her purse in an UNLOCKED car parked on the street, and that purse was stolen. I wonder if that victim was surprised someone stole her purse since she probably left it in plain view in her unlocked car. I say she got what she asked for. boohoo.gif

If she had hidden her purse and locked her doors, perhaps she would still have her purse, eh?

Just a thought.
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#19 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (CataBird @ Apr 7 2004, 07:07 PM)
On page A2, in the Police Blotter, there was listed there a vehicle theft were some woman left her purse in an UNLOCKED car parked on the street, and that purse was stolen. I wonder if that victim was surprised someone stole her purse since she probably left it in plain view in her unlocked car. I say she got what she asked for. boohoo.gif

If she had hidden her purse and locked her doors, perhaps she would still have her purse, eh?

Just a thought.

Interesting points...I guess my thoughts are more relevant to having a car broken into and belongings removed from it, not having the whole car stolen. Certainly, locked up in the garage is the best place for it.

Regarding the lady who's purse was stolen, that is a shame, and it certainly wasn't wise of her to leave her purse in plain view. Had the door been locked, though, she might very well also be out the money of repairing a broken window!

Anecdote 1: I had the unfortunate experience (on my honeymoon, no less, and on the same day my new wedding band fell off my finger and disappeared into the sea!) of having a rental car broken into at the beach, even though I had hidden the valuables under the driver's seat. The thieves bent the door trying to pry it open and then smashed the window to get in, even though nothing of value was visible. They ended up getting my wallet, with cash, driver's license, credit cards, etc.. Regarless, paying for the repairs on the rental car was much more expensive than replacing what was stolen.

Anecdote 2: When I was in high school, I had one of those portable CD players in my beat up old car, along with 4 or 5 CD's. Upon leaving a movie theater one night, I found my driver's side window smashed in and my CD's stolen, but NOT the CD player! Now I had to spend $150 to replace a busted window, just so some punk could steal $50 worth of CD's. Again, I would have been better off just leaving the door unlocked. Better yet, if I'd just stuck the CD player in a pocket and tucked the CD's out of sight, along with leaving the doors unlocked, no damage would have been done to my car.

OrangeTJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users