Photo
- - - - -

Petty Crimes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Petty Crimes (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Petty Crimes

1. A. At home, in their beds? (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. B. At a friend's house? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C. Out in the night vandalizing private & public property? (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. D. Racing their cars or trucks on public roads?Do you know? (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:48 PM

So, what do you think? Are you aware your teenagers may be participating in the petty crimes complained about?

Someone is committing all those vehicle thefts and perpetrating all that vandalism in our City. It is not likely to be adults, since most of us work and must get our sleep.

What's your theory?
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#2 parklady

parklady

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:10 PM

I'm glad someone was bold enough to bring up this topic. There does seem to be an awful lot of petty crimes in Folsom neighborhoods as opposed to other places I have lived, and I would have to agree with you that it probably is juvenile related. One is the racing cars up and down our streets. I have caught kids skidding up and down my block just for the fun of it - checking out their own tire marks, etc. It has grown to a hazardous level. Another particularly unique pastime is the containerss of food that are thrown at cars in the night. I happen to have had two containers of ranch dressing and a container of ice cream thrown at my car randomly over a number of weeks. At first, I thought I had an unknown enemy- who I could not guess. Then I drove down several blocks in Willow Springs and Prairie Oaks on my way to work one morning and noticed other cars that had been hit with containers of what appeared to be salad dressing (though I didn't get close enough to check out if it was ranch!). Another interesting pastime I have never noticed in other towns is the removal of the caps on fire hydrants. Litter is also a huge problem in Folsom, as well as petty vandalism to our landcaping, lights and graffiti. It's hard to figure it out - we are for the most part a more affluent population. We are so fortunate to have homes in this wonderful community. One would hope that we could pass along some of this pride and respect to our kids.

#3 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:23 PM

You said it right on. What are we going to do about all of this? I am fed up with it too. Where are the polices?

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:49 PM

Right by the high school, it's always a mess. Kids leaving their trash all over the sidewalks, spraypainting "Class of 04" on large landscaping rocks, stealing fire hydrant tops... I wish the Folsom PD would crack down on this behavior. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

#5 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 06:07 AM

We have to start calling and/or emailing the police about these issues. It comes with the growth.

#6 parklady

parklady

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:01 PM

Folsom Blondie - You are right about the growth, but, in addition, it is my experience that the more affluent the community, the more crimes of this nature. Kids overall simply do not have enough to do, especially those in public high school - at least private schools tend to load up on more homework. Also Folsom High School has hardly any service clubs for kids to join. From personal experience of having a family member at the high school, I've never seen so much drugs and alcohol (mainly dope and beer) and so much to the point that my child felt he had nothing in common with virtually any of the students - his words were all they want to do is drink and get high - very dfferent from the Bay Area high school he attended which was a mixture of all economic classes though in a high priced housing area. EDH has the same problem too because these are kids who mostly come from families that give them the spending money to buy it. They have more free time, and with high income earning parents who work overtime to maintain their lifestyles and comforts, there are few parents even in touch with what their kids are doing. Sorry to ramble on, but it is the downside of moving on up so to speak. Just another reason to count your blessings if you're in the middle class (at least until you prepare your taxes!)

#7 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:41 PM

Hey Parklady thanks for the valuable information. I actually appreciate the ramble on. I learn quite a bit from what you just said. More please.

I have a good friend who live in the Sacramento area by Madison and Manzanita intersection. He said exactly what you just said about Folsom.

#8 parklady

parklady

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:44 PM

Folsom Blondie - Don't get me wrong - there are many things I love about Folsom, but it is not what I thought it would be. The setting is beautiful (even with the heat), and despite production housing construction woes, it's been nice to have my first new home (you can't have that in the Bay Area for the most part). I guess I envisioned though a community with above average schools, amenities, etc. that was more bonded and had deeper family values and more open space (but let's not go down that path). Instead, in living here I often feel I'm watching a show called Folsom 95630! Kids and parents here can be so superficial and aggressive - too much emphasis on what subdivision you live in, what car you drive, getting ahead in traffic, etc. Even if I had the means, my son would not be driving a BMW or new Mustang. It's not in my values for what I want him to learn. My son even said he felt that kids here were more lost and that he felt it more here than in the private school he attended in the Bay Area where million dollar homes were the norm. In the Bay Area, people's homes have grown greatly in value over the years and always have (though they don't look it), but people there I think are living for the most part a more balanced life. More emphasis on higher learning, arts, awareness of cultural experiences, etc. Not so much emphasis on appearances only. So many people have picked up who were nobody in the Bay Area and now can afford things here they could never have there that give them the appearance of being somebody (at least in comparison to the surrounding areas of Rancho Cordova, Orangevale, Sacramento, etc.) Suddenly they have the attractive home (though not the best construction), all the interior design features, the boat, new cars, etc., even though their incomes are for the most part less than the Bay Area. But I say there's got to be more to teach our kids besides appearances. We're grateful and enjoy our new homes, good schools, amenities, etc., but what values are we teaching our kids about what's most important, (like gratitude and respect) and how to use our comfort for the good, and most especially about respecting other people and their property when many parents don't get it either? Maybe it will be for Folsom in years to come as more people build families and roots here. OK, I'll get off my pulpit now!!

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:40 PM

Parklady,

Very interesting post. When I first read it, I though, "Nah!! Folsom is much more family-oriented than the Bay area... that's why we moved here!" But when I really think about it, I think you might be right. I have never been involved in so many home improvement/home decorating conversations as I have since we moved here -- everyone is constantly "updating" everything in their house. Things that were just put in 5 or 10 years ago and are perfectly functional are taken out because they don't have the "Old World" look that is so popular now... everyone around us has beautiful (expensive) cars... we have just been floored by how much money people spend around here. We see a lot of families frenetically working (dual income) and frenetically shopping all weekend long... no time to actually enjoy their families in this "family friendly" town!

I like your values... hope there are more of us determined to teach non-materialistic values to our kids.

#10 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:45 AM

Thanks parklady and bordercolliefan for the insights. Interesting.

#11 JimV

JimV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:16 AM

Sure can identify with the observations, but they have alot
in common with any semi-affluent area of the US.The area we
moved from (Stanislaus county) truly had NOTHING for the kids
to do.Up here they are on the lake most of the summer (CSUS)
and playing hockey the rest of the time.None of this was
available down south at all.
Remodeling? I don't get that one either.Is homedepot-aholic
a word? biggrin.gif

good forum

#12 folsomBlondie

folsomBlondie

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:37 AM

how do you like it up here compare to Modesto?

#13 JimV

JimV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:26 AM

No comparison!!!!!!!!!! 10,000 times better than Modesto.

#14 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:45 PM

Wow! I think I hit a nerve!

Here's why I posted the poll: a couple of our neighbors have teenage boys who "play" together. Their play consists of running around on our lawn breaking all our sprinkler heads; doorbell-ditching; and probably vandalizing the Livermore Park bathrooms, etc. What I don't get is: Where are the parents??? Gosh, when I was that age, my mother knew where I was and what I was doing--I couldn't get away with ANYTHING! (Gee, am I just jealous?) soapbox.gif

One of the boys--he lives next door--received a motor scooter for Christmas, but I know he isn't old enough to drive (rides?) it (CA law says they have to be 16) since he's only 13. He rides it up and down the street all day as soon as he arrives home from school. This thing sounds like a motorcycle! weirdsmiley.gif

This drives me nuts, since I work at home as a writer. I need to be able to concentrate, but the noise does me in! Yes, I do go outside and tell him to take his scooter--and its noise--to Lembi Park! I just don't like having to do it so often.

It's one thing to know that most of the petty crimes are due to "growth," but the police COULD start taking a more active role in preventing these crimes instead of just ignoring the complaints.

What do you all think about asking for youth activity centers to keep the teens busy & out of trouble?
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#15 pampChefLady

pampChefLady

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:27 PM

All interesting points, and only 1 thing I want to disagree with. Okay, well, it's actually not a total disagreement... My son is in 10th grade at the high school. He doesn't have tons of friends, since we moved to the area in his 8th grade year, but he certainly has some, and they're all very nice kids - not drinking nor doing drugs... I used to teach high school in AZ also, and I believe that there are always a lot more good kids than bad ones, but the bad ones stand out so that's what everyone thinks about all of them - including the other kids in school.

Now for the statement I disagree with, the school and community seem to have plenty of things for kids to get involved with. My son plays cello, and between lessons, symphony practice, youth group, and homework, he doesn't have the time nor energy to get into trouble. I don't think the problem is that there's nothing to do here, I think (and this is the part that agrees with the earlier post) that parents aren't making sure their kids are involved in something worthwhile. Sports, music, drama, student government, science club, youth groups - any of these would keep teens pretty busy. I'd love to see even more offerings, but I think it's just an excuse to say they don't currently offer what one is interested in.

Okay, coming down now...
soapbox.gif

Lisa
Posted Image
Need an electrician? Call my husband!
Byron Wise of WiseCo Electric & Solar offers quality service at affordable rates. A quick search of MyFolsom.com returns recommendations from many satisfied Folsom customers.
www.WiseCoElectric.com or 916-752-4303

PS. I no longer sell Pampered Chef products; now it's just my username :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users