32 replies to this topic

#16 folsom44

folsom44

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I agree with bordercollier that the main culprit should be indoors. If the neigbors have lil ones playing....they should be able to have fun without being barked at. The barking could be scaring the lil ones if it is very loud. Jpow5 had a very good point that not everyone is a dog lover. Although you have the best intentions it may be best not to bring the dog to their door. I respect and understand the love of a pet, but people's comfort should come first before a pets comfort.....especially a childs comfort.

#17 crickett_4jc

crickett_4jc

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

At this point having him inside is not an option, as we chose to rent for a year before buying, and that was a condition of our lease.  I'm not willing to risk eviction.  I will have to do the best I can to minimize the barking.  Excessive barking is citable, not all barking, so if I can minimize it and keep it during reasonable hours during which anyone can expect a certain amount of suburban noise all should be happy.  I don't think anyone can or should expect total silence from any house, either!  We live in a community, and when you do that you take on some of the noises of that community (not a relentless barker, but not silence either).  I will reconsider bringing the dog to the houses, and start off just with the friendly flier letting them know how to contact me if they choose (email should be anonymous enough even for the most timid and non-confrontational neighbor).

I do have to say that I'm surprised this is such a hot button issue in Folsom!  I've lived in many places and I've never seen such strong opinions on the matter!  I guess it's a part of the culture that I'm going to have to adapt quickly to, or else when we buy maybe try to get a half acre or something to get a noise buffer!  

#18 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

At this point having him inside is not an option, as we chose to rent for a year before buying, and that was a condition of our lease.  I'm not willing to risk eviction.  I will have to do the best I can to minimize the barking.  Excessive barking is citable, not all barking, so if I can minimize it and keep it during reasonable hours during which anyone can expect a certain amount of suburban noise all should be happy.  I don't think anyone can or should expect total silence from any house, either!  We live in a community, and when you do that you take on some of the noises of that community (not a relentless barker, but not silence either).  I will reconsider bringing the dog to the houses, and start off just with the friendly flier letting them know how to contact me if they choose (email should be anonymous enough even for the most timid and non-confrontational neighbor).

I do have to say that I'm surprised this is such a hot button issue in Folsom!  I've lived in many places and I've never seen such strong opinions on the matter!  I guess it's a part of the culture that I'm going to have to adapt quickly to, or else when we buy maybe try to get a half acre or something to get a noise buffer!

Everything on the forum seems to be a hot button issue. :)
But do consider a neighborhood without an hoa. I think people are a little more relaxed and less likely to feel they are entitled to tell you what to do in your own yard.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#19 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

The tamest topics seem to turn into hot buttons, so don't take it personally and don't let it stop you from hanging out here! There are very strong opinions about everything and those opinions aren't always expressed with tact or respect. Take what you find helpful. :SCHWEEEET:

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#20 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

I don't think this is so much of a "hot button" issue as a one of comfort. I am a dog lover. HUGE dog lover. However, I hate hate hate incessant barking from dogs. I have moved because the dog at the home next to me just wouldn't quit barking. It really does impact others' quality of life. I couldn't enjoy my own backyard - or even kitchen - because of the neighbor's dog.

There is a neighbor close to where I live now who has dogs that bark all of the time. It drives me up the wall, regardless of reason they are barking. While I understand some breeds bark more than others, there is a bark from boredom and that's the one that is usually the most annoying.

I really don't mean to be rude, but you talk about those who live in the suburbs should expect some noise and you also say that having him inside is not an option. I think you need to realize that living in close quarters your choices really do affect those around you. IMO, this issues isn't a problem of lack of tolerance of your neighbors. This issue stems from your sweet, sweet puppers.

#21 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

Does the dog get enough attention? With 4 kids and 3 dogs it seems like things would get a bit hectic.

The dog should be getting out for a long walk everyday- and this would help with the barking, as he would expend a lot of energy, and would be able to see the things that are on the other side of the fence that he's been barking at. 

Your dog(s) probably need a lot of exercise, and being in a backyard all day isn't going to help. Definitely need to bring him inside/in the garage if you need to, it's not reasonable for your neighbors to get used to the noise just because you have. 

And if your neighbors have infants, they're probably going to bed between 6:30 and 7, not to mention trying to nap during the day. Nothing worse than an exhausted mom with babies that can't sleep, I'm sure you've been there ;)

All this coming from a mom with 2 babies (the neighbors dogs can bark at the worst times), who once got the same note from a neighbor about our dog barking- only I had no idea ours was barking, because it was while we were at work, or gone for the evening. Taking long walks helped, as well as putting our dog in the dog run on the side of the house while we were out- so he didn't have free reign of the yard to run back and forth barking. 

#22 folsom44

folsom44

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Suggesting the garage is a great idea! For your neighbors sake, pls make the barking stop....that would drive me crazy. Dont take folks comments as negative....folsom neighbors are generally considerate. A barking dog is seen as inconsiderate...that is why you are getting this type of feedback. Welcome...you are going to love it here! :)

#23 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

First - welcome to Folsom and to MyFolsom.com! I too moved here from SoCal, about 8 years ago.

I love dogs and have 3 myself ranging from small (Chihuahua) to large (Labrador) . They enjoy their time outside but they mostly love being inside around us. I never ever let them bark out of control in my backyard, I always go out and stop their barking immediately. I know my neighbors won't like it and I respect their right to peace and quiet.

Unfortunately I have one neighbor with 2 small dogs that lets them bark non-stop all day long - she leaves them outside all the time which isn't good, especially when the neighborhood has to hear the ear piercing non-stop yipping all day for hours on end - they seem to never get tired and never stop barking. I have to keep my windows closed because the sound is so annoying (like nails on a chalkboard).  I've spoken to the neighbor several times and she flat out told me she doesn't care, she's over 80 and doesn't give a crap about anyone but herself and has made that very clear.

The dogs have gotten so annoying that at one point I resorted to using an air horn thru the fence on the dogs to shut them up, it worked but only for a few minutes - I finally gave up and just keep my windows closed and my stereo turned up so I don't have to hear their barking.  But that's not right and it's not fair to me that I have to keep my house closed up to deal with the neighbors out of control barking dogs.  She's the one who should be dealing with the problem and doing something about it, not me.

So as you can see, even though I love dogs and own three myself, they can be very annoying to me when they are barking so I understand why any neighbor would not be happy if they had to hear a dog barking all day long.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and keep the dog inside when you can and always go out immediately if the dog is barking and bring it inside.  Just don't let it bark non-stop, nobody wants to hear that, even if they are a dog lover.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#24 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Our barking dog was from the SPCA.  If I recall correctly, my wife contacted the SPCA and asked for advice.  It has been a while, but I believe she spoke with a pet psychologist from UC Davis. In addition to the plastic on the fence we also took her through dog training.

#25 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

There are degrees of annoyance from dog barking, ranging from the tolerable to intolerable.  It seems like your Sheltie does not bark incessantly, or at night, but only when there are children playing in an adjacent yard.  Maybe you can try to figure out which times of day that is happening, and move the dog into the kennel or house or garage at those times?  It might not stop 100% of the barking incidents, but it might cut down a lot.

More generally speaking, the all-night-and-all-day barkers are a scourge on suburban society.  At least we don't have muggings and drive-by shootings in Folsom, but that's small comfort when you can't enjoy sleeping or waking time because of barking dogs.

(On the other hand, I never figured out why some people hate outdoor cats, who don't generally make any noise. I always enjoy seeing the two cats who stroll through our yard.  But I'm sure someone will explain that to me as well.)

#26 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

I've spoken to the neighbor several times and she flat out told me she doesn't care, she's over 80 and doesn't give a crap about anyone but herself and has made that very clear.

That truly sucks.  You could try the police - if they even care.

Don't those airline magazines advertise devices that emit a frequency that makes dogs stop barking?  Or is that a bunch of rubbish?

(Editing note:  here's an example:  http://www.ultimateb...m#page=Main-Tab.  Do these things actually work, without psychologically scarring all dogs in the vicinity?   Based on Amazon customer reviews, the product does not deliver on its promise.  Too bad.)

#27 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

(On the other hand, I never figured out why some people hate outdoor cats, who don't generally make any noise. I always enjoy seeing the two cats who stroll through our yard.  But I'm sure someone will explain that to me as well.)

I think some people believe cats will pee/poop in their gardens.  While this may be true, I figure squirrels, birds etc. are pooping too-- it's just a fact of nature.  I think having cats about helps with rodent control in our neighborhoods. 

#28 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

I think some people believe cats will pee/poop in their gardens.  While this may be true, I figure squirrels, birds etc. are pooping too-- it's just a fact of nature.  I think having cats about helps with rodent control in our neighborhoods. 

At two places where I lived in Land Park outdoor cats were a problem.

At one house, it turned out my elderly neighbor next door had a score of feral cats living in her basement. They liked to use my garden (ick) as their litter box. Sprinkling it with coffee grounds made them find another spot.

We moved and I kept thinking that somebody walking their dog didn't pick up after them because there were small piles of poop almost daily in my front yard. It was annoying because the kids were crawlers and toddlers at the time and we hung out in the front yard with the neighbors. I even put up a little sign that had a dog pooping and a red line through it. Turns out it was my neigh it's cat. It was too big of an area to sprinkle coffee grounds and their reaction when I told them it was Gino was to just squirt him with a hose when I saw. Problem was, I had two kids under the age of three and I couldn't just drop them and run out into the yard all of the time. I ended up asking them to pooper scoop my yard.

Luckily, I haven't had problems since and enjoy the occasional backyard visitor, though they tend to only come by once. They don't realize my dog loves cats and is only barking at them because she is excited.

#29 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Odd - the only outdoor cats I've ever had always buried their poop in some out-of-the-way place in our yard.  You would never even know it's there if you didn't sometimes catch them in the act.  It's weird that a cat would leave its poop uncovered - it's not in their nature.

Having a group of feral cats who are inflicted upon your yard would be a different matter, of course.

Wandering male cats will sometimes spray bushes to "mark their territory", but humans can't smell it.

Not to mention raccoons and opossums.  But cats bury their poop, so isn't it the same as fertilizer?

I never worry about cats.  But there is a dog that poops its way along our front sidewalk every now and then, early in the morning, and the owner doesn't pick it up.

#30 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

With the cats, I'm sure it's a matter of degree.  Too many cats could be a nuisance. 

I also think indoor/outdoor cats might be better than totally outdoor cats.  My cat goes out for a stroll every morning, but when he comes in, he heads straight to the litter box!  I guess he prefers the bathroom that comes with maid service.  :-) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dogs, barking, neighbors, animal control, noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users